Quantcast
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:24 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Clarens climbing
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:26 pm 
Does anyone know of \"easy/beginner\" climbing areas near Clarens, excluding Swinburne and Mount Everest? Golden Gate would seem obvious but on enquiring at Glen Reenen reception I have been met with blank stares.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:37 am 
Go look at www.clarens.co.za - they mention that there is a climbing wall in bergwoning? If you contact clarens info via the site they should be able to put you in contact with these guys who should be able to sort you out. A lot of shoulds, but its worth a crack.

Post subject: Bergwoning
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 7:39 pm 
Thanks Mark. I did have a look at claren.co.za and they mention the climbing wall at Bergwoning plus the 35m and 90m \"absailing\" sic. I then visited them yesterday only to find out they ( the owners) had never heard of the climbing wall and the 90m abseil had been closed for a long time because the tourists prefer the 35. Oh well, doesn't matter, it's obviously a tourist trap only interested in chelete.

I did find some interesting 5-10m boulders on the side of the Swartberg ( not sure if it's the correct name) but it is on the NW Clarens boundary and I will be back again next weekend to try them out. One boulder had a single rusty 6mm bolt ( not a U-bolt) at the top but I would imagine this is a complete no no.

Thanks for your help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:29 am 
Hey Mike try dricus.bezuidenhout@za.pwc.com. he io from some where up that way, although currently living in PE.

Good luck

Post subject: Clarens Climbing
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 9:20 am 
Howzit Mike,
I used to live in Clarens for about a year, so we went and checked out any possible routes we could find-NO LUCK! All Sandstone VERY brittle!
Big flakes just come off in your hands bro, nasty!!!! On Mt.Horeb -the hill on your left behind the golf course- looked pretty good for tradding,rock quite solid! Other than that nothing much except some nice b-grade scrambling,but be very carefull! I know of the big boulder by the dam you are speaking of,couple of nice easy lines on it. Enjoy either way! Cheers to the GOOD life!

Post subject: Clarens climbing
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:33 pm 
Thanks Derek and mario. I've sent an email to dricus. Will wait and see if he replies. I have looked at the west face of Mount Horeb and from a distance it looks very interesting. I'm not sure I'm ready though. All I have is the complete Falcon series on how to climb and zero experience; so I know theory of knots, belays and anchors and a little self rescue. I'll take a walk up to the base this sunday and take some photos. My motto is SAFETY FIRST. No heroics.