Quantcast
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:45 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Payment @ Bronkies
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:47 am 

Can anyone please confirm what the current arrangement at Bronkies is? The last two times there was no book to be signed. I paid the old man a previous time, but when I asked the group of three "collectors" to see and sign the book on Sunday, they disappeared. I stopped and waited below the house both when entering and leaving, only to be told that someone would come around at the crag to collect.

I gladly pay the fee, but want to make sure that the money goes to the rightful recipient. Any info would be appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Payment @ Bronkies
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:10 pm 

Emile,

you probably know, but Bronkies is private property and hence the owners call the shots. From a MCSA p.o.v. we have found that having an “official” access register keeps both owners and climbers honest and avoid most of the problems that have soured relationships between climbers and the owners. The book is used by the owners to make sure that the monies paid does not disappear and gives climbers some level of assurance that the money goes to its rightful owners.

Some of the problems we are trying to manage:
* At times money paid by climbers disappeared / were taken by unauthorized “collectors”
* Climbers have refused to pay or pay less than the agreed fee

I’ll try and get a replacement access book there this coming weekend – note that the access book has a colour MCSA logo as well as the rules for the crag on the front. This does not mean it won’t disappear again, but let’s try and keep the problems to a minimum. You’ll all agree that this crag is important to all Gauteng climbers (MCSA members or not).

Whilst I have the opportunity let me also mention two other issues that were discussed with the owners recently:

Climbers still refuse to pay or are impatient and drive off etc. The children have on occasion been verbally abused and called racist names. I know this is only one or two climbers but please guys (and gals) refrain from being abusive - this is private property. If you do not like the conditions and arrangements set by the owners please stay away. We have asked the owners to take down car registration numbers if this happens again.

After some confusion the access fee for children has been set at: R10 for school going children above 12 years -- R5 for children 12 years and younger. The adult fee is still R20 per day.

Lastly if you have suggestions / comments send them to the Land and Access person of the Pretoria (Magaliesberg) or Johannesburg sections (listed on the web sited) or contact me at deanvdm at ananzi dot co dot za.

Happy climbing

Dean

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:50 pm 

Thanks Dean. Yes, I'm aware it's private property. The "collectors" I saw yesterday looked like they we're going to take the money straight to the shebeen, hence my asking to sign the book - I suspect it was the case as asking made them take off quite quickly.

Just a note, for when you discuss these issues with the owners again - the past 3-4 times we we're told (by folks at the "pay-point" by the house) to drive down to the crag, they'll come collect later. I suspect they count on the visitor impatience, and at the crag no-one is too fussed to see / sign a book, creating an easy way of pocketing the money for themselves. The kids never do this (at least not in my experience), it's always some of the older guys. The kids are quite strict, and gave us quite a chuckle in the past. :lol:

Thanks for your effort in trying to maintain and manage the access. I, and I'm sure many others appreciate it a lot.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:05 am 

Is this the same for going mid week? Or do we have to phone first?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:05 pm 

The arrangement stays the same for weekdays (i.e. no phoning necessary). But I was there this morning (to drop the new access register) and no-one came down and they only opened the door of the house after some knocking. I can not tell you what to do in such a situation, but I would suggest you at least try your best before going to the crag and if this fails try again on the way back

Happy holidays and do wear a helmet (the guys involved in yesterday's Blouberg rescue can vouch for its effectiveness)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:23 am 

Dean.
Is there any rule for payment to be asked from non-climbers who visit Bronkies with a group of climbers? I have often been asked for money for everyone in the car, even if they are not climbing. I understand the "collectors" might not recognize this but there are cases where "supporters" join the climbers at the crag.
Also, are the current prices advertised in the book along with the access arrangements? Some Collectors do not seem to be aware of the rates for children.

Well done Dean to you and the SAR team on getting our friend off Blouberg. Sterling effort indeed.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:32 am 

Hi All

Bronkies MCSA members only?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:06 am 

Nope, but have a look at the access arrangements on the wiki (if you haven't already)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:26 am 

Hi there

Thanks, I'll check the access arrangements.

Cheers
Vaughn