It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:53 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 10:33 pm 
Hey Bored - I get you. Come to the EC...our policy is let us climb/bolt or we will burn your land.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 10:34 pm 
Ha ha! cool Derek! Its the grigri monster by the way, weve just got this crag with loads and loads of v. high quality lines that weve just had to look for the past so many years, its a crying shame! My point is that if quotas are going to apply to all the crags I will only be bolting lines for myself (which maybe is a purer approach), but that means no more 'community service' bolting and no new easy routes, again a drag on the progress of our sport. Maybe quotas are necessary for smaller sensitive areas like Rocklands but please lets not let it apply to all crags!! Aaah the Eastern Cape... time for another road trip I think! I can remember seeing overhanging dolerite (very rare) near...

Post subject:
What is with this desire to go out and bolt, you all sound just like the swiss guy who goes out and stuffs things up for others and then buggers off. I think the MCSA should have a chief bolter and all lines are given to him to go and bolt, that way the dudes who need to hold a powerfull drill in their hands are forced to go else where. This is how it works in France and they have some great crags. And for those who need to bolt, there is Montagu and Oorlogskloof, to mention just a few, where bolting isn't a big issue, why are we all fighting over Rocklands when there is so much rock out there??? Most of you with this desire to hold a drill will be glad you are not living in the U.K. The big question is, is it about climbing or bolting, I don't care who bolts a route as long as there are nice properly bolted routes to climb in sport climbing areas. And I say chop all the bolts on Wolfberg, most are super bad quality and a total eye saw.

Post subject:
Studude! What do you mean desire to hold a drill? Surely its the desire to have more new routes? Routes that as you state you are happy to climb! I am just strongly opposed to qouta systems becoming the norm for other less sensitive areas, there are awesome crags outside of both Montagu and Rocklands that should be developed! Preferably not in dribs and drabs over the next twenty years as by then we will both be too old to get up most of them! PS I cant wait to go France as then I wont have to 'hold my drill' anymore as the crags are already developed!

Post subject:
Note to Andy: I have offered my help on several occasions and yet neither you nor Cheryl has taken me up on this offer! I hope that now that the draft plan is complete you (the MCSA) will invite all climbers to review this draft and offer their opinions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 10:35 pm 
I just don't get this \"crags should be developed\" idea !! There are many ways to skin a cat and maybe, just maybe, every virgin piece of rock in the country doesn't need bolts. Remember, those of us who still occasionally climb with removable pro also enjoy opening new routes. Many contributors to this forum appear to be totally one dimensional. Please, less of this \"let's DEVELOP all virgin rock\" !! The custodians of natural areas must love that word DEVELOP. Sounds very enviro-friendly.

Post subject:
Richard I hear your point but we are fortunate enough to have a sh*t load of rock. I doubt that all virgin rock can be bolted. However seeing that bolted sport routes will see the most ascents there will be enviromental issues to consider. I thinh erosion is probally on the walk in path and around the crag base is probally the biggest enviromental impact. Look at Lakeside Pinnacle for example. We as bolters and climbers need to mimimise these impacts so as to ensure free and easy access to crags.

Post subject:
Hi Greg Thanks for the offer. I didn't forget it, just decided to go a whole lot simpler. As for comments - you'll notice on the homepage of this site there is a news flash saying the plan is out for all to comment on...... It was also posted on the MCSA website and a newsflash sent out on CapeRock News..... and a news item was posted on rockaddiction.... i've had VERY few comments........ Please send me your comments