Quantcast
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:15 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:15 am 

Exploratio has been awarded a small sum of money for the University of Pretoria's project pool to bolt/develop a crag close to Pretoria!

Ideally we would like to develop a new crag closer to PTA that would make it easy for people to just pop out for a few climbs in the evening after class/work.

As yet we have not identified a suitable area and may need to look a little further a field. (new lines at Harties?)

Does anyone know of any good rock that could use a few bolts close to PTA? We would like to begin with about 6 routes (2 easy, 2 intermediate, and 2 hard).

We need to complete this project by the end of Arpil.

If anyone has any suggestions please contact Frankie (frankie@tuks.co.za) or Peter (peter.rodda@gmail.com)

Anyone willing to help, please also contact us.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:01 pm 

Cosmos, above Harties boat club. Please check with Snake park owner first, he said it was ok last time I spoke to him. There are a few lines there already, speak to Colin Crab.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:05 pm 

While we're at it, I heard rumours of a promising crag close to Bronkies, is it true?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:48 am 
It would be awesome to have a small crag near Pretoria close enough for an afternoon trip but in my movements around their there really doesn't seem like too much decent rock.

Are you looking for a small Pretoria version of Strubens Valley or something a bit more substantial?

On the Harties front I have not checked it out but what happens to the rock if you go quite a bit further right from the Wall of Aglarond? From the dam wall there looks like quite a cool section of rock just before going around the corner toward the snake park? Also, the 'routes' above the snake park, are they bolted already? How many etc? It would probably be better to continue developing there if there are already some routes bolted rather than having micro-areas spread all over the place?

Attachments:
Potential.jpg
Potential.jpg [ 223.9 KiB | Viewed 1270 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:48 am 

All crags right of the Dam Wall are no go area. You will most prob be bitten by a huge snake of a different kind from down below!! :shock: :shock: Cosmos is not to bad, awaiting development, it is more south and you approach it from Comando Neck. Turn right on the other side of the dam at the sign called Cosmos and the crags are up on your left. But please check with the Snake Park owner first.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:06 pm 

Hey kids, as Neil said - save some time and leave out the bit on your pic labelled 'Potential'. The land owner has had a fight with climbers previously developing exactly that nice vertical wall you talk of. If he gets a name you will have legal issues on your hands.

As for the wall labelled 'Wall above snake park', I have no idea what might be happening there. What about further right along that same range, in the region of the cable car and just left of it? There is a section of cleaninsh looking slabs (less than vertical) as well as a protruding buttress left of the slabs... will be plodding up that way come cooler seasons.