Quantcast
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:12 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:09 pm 

I am disappointed by the small amount of week long rock climbing schools that I could find on Google in South Africa considering the publicity I have heard about South Africa. I would like to be taught to climb properly as I am just messing around at the moment. Joining a club is not possible as I don’t live in South Africa anymore, any help will be much appreciated or is it better I fly to the USA to be taught there?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:39 am 

OK, Lesson 1: When they said put the cam in the crack they didn't mean that crack...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:56 am 

I eventually found a school in the UK, in Dartmoor nature reserve . No point spending time climbing in South Africa if I have to share rock faces with people as useless as you.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:26 am 

knob knob knob

Last edited by nosmo on Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:31 am 

Hi there!
Don't worry about Shorti's comments - I don't think they are reflective of the local climbing population.
Before booking in the UK check out http://www.rocrope.com. Real good instruction by super cool people in an amazing location and you're likely to pay a lot less.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:22 am 

he dude you're not doing an advanced excel course here - if you want to learn to climb proper; hook up with climbers who can climb proper and get on the rock with them. the south african community (in my humble experience) is very accommodating. flying overseas seems like a massive amount of effort to learn what you can learn here for free (or a lot cheaper if you go the roc-n-rope route).

and btw, i thought shorti's tongue-in-the-cheek (no, not that cheek) comment was pretty funny. if it offended you maybe the UK is the right place to go...you know, stiff upper lip and all that :)

and how does morocco and the-next-level-nigeria fit into all of this??? really curious.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:41 am 

The thing is I'm been climbing but its time that I stop messing around and learn to do it properly. As I don't live in the Country climbing friends are hard to come by. With my limited leave I have I can't waste time. If as much training can be done it will allow me to climb in my next break.

Are we not here to help each other and share knowledge because we all have a common interest instead of writing sarcastic remarks ?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:00 pm 

Are you kiteboarding wannabe clayton?

claytondvs wrote:
Are we not here to help each other and share knowledge because we all have a common interest instead of writing sarcastic remarks ?
Yes we are. So you type:
claytondvs wrote:
No point spending time climbing in South Africa if I have to share rock faces with people as useless as you.

Do you read what you type? You come onto here and demand to know from useless people (called useless because they didn't answer your little spoilt-brat-trustfund-kid-sounding rant within the hour) where you can learn to climb? You sound exactly like the type of prat that I don't want anywhere near any rock. Climb indoors.

claytondvs wrote:
As I don't live in the Country
which country? Whether SA or UK, there are more than enough people to learn to climb from, and more importantly WITH.

I'm putting R20 on you being a tard, disguised as a troll in jest.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:02 pm 

I am not aware of anyone locally who offers the type of course you seem to be looking for. That said I'm not sure of any course that could make you climb 'properly' in a week, it would have to be pretty special.

Perhaps you just need to invest more time into your climbing?
There is no quick fix, cash solution that I know of.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:07 pm 

Try Gavin on http://www.peakhigh.co.za he may tailor a course to suit. There is a link of this site's directory.

I am intrested in the "Morocco, Thailand and soon Nigeria (the next level)" title. What does that have to do with climbing or training courses? As a genuine question.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:11 pm 

I'm not sure but either this guy is trying to take us for a ride, or he is very young, or he's a little dumb (In the medical sense).

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:19 pm 

As the saying goes "Practise makes perfect"

How you practise / train is up to you...but the further you push YOURSELF the better the results will be. So if you wanna get better i feel you should make it a mission to find people to climb with and climb climb climb. Sure you can get books for this and that and how to do this and that And you can take courses and join groups they can be fun and you learn alot. But i agree there is no quick fix....

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:30 pm 

Sloth I live in Nigeria, none of that is possible,

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:42 pm 

I'm obviously wasting my time where 80% of messages is not related to the topic, to all that helped thank you, any suggestion of real forums where I can get information will be highly appreciated.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:45 pm 

i can recommend "how to climb 5.12" by eric horst if ou can get your hands on one - really good advice on the the physical, technical and mental aspects of climbing; as well as some great exercises you can do to become monkey-man

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:54 pm 

knob wrote:
I'm obviously wasting my time
yet still you type! whine some more.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:05 pm 

What's eating Nosmo's grape?

Chill out a little bra, who knows I might even offer to take you with and show you all I know. It's probably not what you want, but at least I won't be after your money (or time). Oh and since we are "off topic", what the blazers is your topic supposed to mean?

Nosmo, I was willing to take you on your bet, but I'm not so sure now, but I tell you what, I'll put R20 on a number 4 camelot :eye:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:23 pm 

Claytondvs wrote:
where 80% of messages is not related to the topic

Never - impossible!!!! :lol:

B.t.w. - whats the "dvs" for? "Deep Vawter Soloing"? :D

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:01 pm 

What's eating my grape? This little guy rocks up, expresses his disappointment at the lack of week long courses he can throw some of his trust fund at and then calls the people who respond useless. People that post informative stuff on here are spending their time in an expressly altruistic fashion, not because you are entitled to get anything. Instead of just asking in a civilised way, like you'd ask the lady at SPAR for breadrolls, you stomp your little feet and whine.

Try posting....
knob wrote:
No point spending time climbing in Yosemite if I have to share rock faces with people as useless as you.

...on supertopo, and numerous poeple will shortly tell you to f*ck off. I'm being polite.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:17 pm 

I dont think Clayton explained his situation clearly enough at the start, prob leading to all the confusion and subsequent abuse.
Its really hard to offer advice without knowing anything about you, like how old are you? (+-), how long have you been climbing, what level are you at (grades), what type of climbing interests you, what are you hoping to gain from the training?

I dont think anyone is gonna teach you to climb in a week, it takes ages of practice. Ur best bet is to build a bouldering wall at home and train on that. Theres loads of info about them on the web as well as about training, check http://www.moonclimbing.com/ for some inspiration and info. If you dont have a 'scene' where you live you just gotta make it happen for urself.

This guide does training in Cape Town if thats any help.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:43 am 

Clayton ou maat, jy het jou voet in 'n blik gesit...