Quantcast
It is currently Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:53 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: The Wilds
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:55 pm 

Does anyone know if it's safe to train at the Wilds? Does anyone still train there? :?:

Post subject: Re: The Wilds
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:40 pm 

Shoo now theres a sketchy spot! Havent been there since the mid nineties, I guess things are worse there now judging by the way Berea/Hillbrow has gone.

We used to just go there anyway but never alone, wear your oldest clothes and shoes, leaving everything of value at home. Park by the tearoom across the road, if you hear a rustle in the bushes run like hell for the road and your car! We had a funny incident there once where these two guys were coming down the hill, we skrikked and took off at full speed, only to run straight into these guys who were running from us! They heard the commotion and thought we were skebengas! :lol:
I guess others have not been so lucky.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:22 pm 

The wilds goes through its ups and downs. At the moment it is definitely on the up as far as security is concerned. To the best of my knowledge, the last incident, involving the WITS crowd, was around 2 years or so ago. Since then the Gautrain construction has taken over the tearoom parking area, so parking there is probably one of the safest places to leave your car in JHB as the security guards generally ask you to sign in. The fencing that is all over the place seems to be working - last time I was there was the first time I felt safe on my own, without my dog, in years.
The only current problem at the Wilds is construction workers from the multi-million complex being built next door using the place as their toilet. In fact, that's the reason I stopped taking my dog there - there is a reason these animals are called dogs!
PM me and I'll give you phone numbers for guys who regularly train at the wilds.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:47 pm 

I get there about once a month and haven't had any problems.

Ian

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:00 am 

I have been going there on and off for the last couple of months and had no problems. Like Danny said, the fence and security has defnitely made a difference - the muggers only have one easy exit, right past the security guys, so I feel much safer than in the past.
Don't take anything of value with you, and you should be OK - although bigger crowds might feel safer, they might also attract more attention...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:56 pm 

The Wilds seems safest its been for years - no reported incidents in a long time now. I take groups of Primary school children in there from time to time, and haven't had any problems. As others have said, though - don't take valuables in as a precaution. Safe parking available in St John's Pre-prep parking at bottom of St David Rd, St John's security guard on duty at parking can let you in the gate directly opposite the parking, it's a 2 minute walk from there to the crag.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:59 pm 

Correction - make that the parking at bottom of St Patrick's Rd.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:11 pm 

Thanks for the info guys......think I'll make a turn by there and see how it goes.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:01 am 

I don't get it Danny. Why are they called dogs?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:59 am 

hehehe, I don't get it either.. Me'thinks he's putting the cart before the horse...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:16 am 

I go to the wilds every week (except for two month due to injury). Except for a guy jerking off on the path no incidents in the last 2 years - I don't know who was more embarressed, me or the guy spanking the monkey. I usually take my two dogs for safety and park at the school. Probably start going from next week again - every wednesday.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:46 am 

Steve, may you one day be cursed with the pleasures of owning a dog. Nothing beats that moment when you realise why he looks so happy, coming out of the bushes while licking his lips.
I was actually at the wilds this Sunday. Seems as if Todd and his 2 carts / horses had already visited the place - No turds laying around. In addition, the people from the construction site had put some serious fencing between the site and the wilds - much cleaner now.