It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:26 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: 'Boven parking!!!
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:43 pm 

Attachment:
wland_park.jpg
wland_park.jpg [ 66.15 KiB | Viewed 775 times ]

What have we here? It is quite clear that the parking area indicated for climbing at Halluinogen/Superbowl/Theatre etc. is at the [friendly] farmhouse where the locals keep an eye on things. It also says in the book (for those who care to read):
Quote:
Be sure to confirm the access arrangements with the locals or the MCSA beforehand.

So then YOU go and...
Attachment:
PHL705GP.jpg
PHL705GP.jpg [ 65.13 KiB | Viewed 774 times ]

...park right in front of the gate where we need to get into in case YOU decided to crater!!!

Also, you are increasing the risk of getting your window smashed by a billion %. I quite frankly don't care as much about your window as I do about the rumour that will spread in the tabloids that "climbing" in 'Boven is not safe? And yes, this does make me upset because it will ultimately have an influence on my business...

If you are too lazy to walk the 600m (use the scale on the map to measure if YOU wish!), then rather take up chess or something - don't they make a climbing game for Playstation?

On a positive note, there is a new, safe and friendly parking arrangement for going climbing at the Coven. I'll start a new thread for this one after designing the NO PARKING sign for the gate...

013 257 0363
climb @t rocrope dot com

Post subject: Re: 'Boven parking!!!
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:02 pm 

Gustav wrote:
It also says in the book (for those who care to read)

My bad.

I parked there after seeing someone else do it on my last visit there and assumed it was OK.

My apologies, I'll pay for the sign if you want... :oops:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:21 pm 

Busted :mrgreen:

On the Playstation subject - check this out :lol:

Extreme Rock Climbing

In this game you play as an extreme rock climber. You climb shire cliffs and mountains. You start off with a certain amount of money with which you can buy equipment including oxygen, tents, safety harnesses and special rock climbing shoes with spikes. If you buy a tent you can pitch it in any place where it is flat. The point in buying a tent is that it is used as a save game. If you don't buy it you can't save anywhere.

You have to be careful of where you climb. If you chisel too much into unstable rock you could fall or cause an avalanche. Along the way you lose strength, stamina and energy. When you go higher the air gets thinner and you have to use the oxygen containers to prevent yourself going unconscious. As you reach the top of different mountains you get more money to buy better equipment. You can even buy an expensive gadget like a harpoon. It shoots out and sticks into rock and drags you up. It's very unstable and should only be used in places where there is a ledge underneath you.

On a playstation, while you are climbing a sheer cliff, you would press R1 or L1 and move 1 of the analog sticks to move your arms and R2 and L2 and 1 of the analog sticks move your legs. While you're climbing a mountain you may come across a cave. If you go in you may find a hole that leads right to the top. This would have been a dried out spring. This can be an advantage because you wouldn't have to worry about the wind. These can only be found in caves that are high up in mountains. You should always make sure you chisel in to rock and not ice because the ice can break. Once you get to the top of the mountain you get to enjoy the view and get a large sum of money.

Once you're finished enjoying the view you get the choice to glide down to ground by hang-glider, base jump and then release a parachute or absail down. The last expedition is to climb Mount Everest.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:16 pm 

Forgiven Emile. Thanks for the offer.

We must just check with others in the MCSA what about logo's etc. and we can put relevant emergency numbers on as well.

013 257 0363
climb @t rocrope dot com

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:54 pm 

Hi guys

On a similar subject, the owners of Chosspile (or Harties) have contacted us and are not happy about climbers accessing to climbing from the dam wall side. This is a bit shorter, but please go through the main entrance and pay the R40. A few of us may save a bit of effort and money, but this may result in all of us losing a great climbing venue if we are told no climbing any more. There is a big need for more sport climbs near JHB and PTA, as seen by the overcrowding at the crags, and one less would be a disaster, not to mention the thousands of Rand and hundreds of hours spent to put up the climbs going to waste. There is also the great history of climbs such as Fossil Fuel which will all be lost.

So please do not go in via the dam wall, but in via the picnic site.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:10 pm 

Bad Dog's on the loose :mrgreen:

Hi Neil, How about updating the wiki and explain it there too. I never knew this was an issue, I thought the money was for save parking. BTW the people at Tant Malie's are quite pissed about people parking in their shaded parking. I probably would have parked in the shade too the day they complained if there was any space left. They were happy when I bought a bread, so was I - nice bread.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:58 am 

1 - Good idea to use the WIKI to keep tabs on recent access/parking arrangements, not everybody uses the forum (unbelievably!)

2 - New issue - start a new thread, Chosspile climbers might not be reading a thread called "Boven Parking"

013 257 0363
climb @t rocrope dot com