Quantcast
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:57 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:40 am 

Neil wrote:
Hi guys

On a similar subject, the owners of Chosspile (or Harties) have contacted us and are not happy about climbers accessing to climbing from the dam wall side. This is a bit shorter, but please go through the main entrance and pay the R40. A few of us may save a bit of effort and money, but this may result in all of us losing a great climbing venue if we are told no climbing any more. There is a big need for more sport climbs near JHB and PTA, as seen by the overcrowding at the crags, and one less would be a disaster, not to mention the thousands of Rand and hundreds of hours spent to put up the climbs going to waste. There is also the great history of climbs such as Fossil Fuel which will all be lost.

So please do not go in via the dam wall, but in via the picnic site.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:49 am 

I hear you with respect to not jeopardizing access but are you sure that the upper chosspile crag (not Harry Potters) is actually owned by the people who own the resort/picnic site?

Cheers
Andrew

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:31 am 

Emile,

I am not two phased about the money. What I would be concerned about is the safety of my car. I was always worried about the dodge drifters that spend the day there drinking and partying down the bottom.

Is is safe ?. Have you heard of any climbers cars been broken into at all ?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:38 am 

hi guys

I'm just re-posting a post by Neil into this separate thread (it was on the 'Boven parking thread) in order to draw the necessary attention - I have no insights into the ownership / safety situation, sorry.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:39 am 

Hi

This is a good question. Some time back when we were dealing with the Snake Park saga, at this time we confirmed solid access. It seems the area above is owned by about 5 people, one of which also owners the picnic site. He is a member of the Joberg Hiking Club and is on our side. He has persuaded the other owners to allow us there. We need to support him in return.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:01 am 

If the Upper Chosspile is owned in part by the picnic site owner then we should park there. Cheers Neil.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:16 am 

i agree, support the guy.

but Colin has a point. It gets pretty crazy down there. I am personally worried about my car.

PS is there any development at Chosspile again? Havent heard of any new climbs there in a very long time....

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:03 am 

Just to clear this up - the Wall of Algorond (the far right hand side crag) is also owned by the same people?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:57 pm 

Doesn't realy matter which section the guy owns does it? I mean if he presuaded the other owners to allow climbers to utilize the crags what does it matter which part he owns? All we can do is give the guy some support in return. I personally never had any problems with the car at the picnic area.

W :afro:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:58 pm 

ja shorti, use the normal parking like everyone else

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:09 pm 

Willemeulen you sound like Malema. It was a question. You could've said "I don't know". :afro:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:26 pm 

I have never used the bridge access, but personally I enjoy the weir crossing, the scramble (and once a pack of aggressive dogs) :pirat: