It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:34 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:48 pm 

Hi guys

I'm desperate for some info about good bouldering areas for beginners in KZN and Gauteng. Is there anything that would be suitable?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:06 pm 

As fas as I know there are no suitable bouldering areas in Gauteng or KZN :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:04 pm 

King Solomon's Mine near PMB has some ok bouldering for beginners - potentially worth checking out. Otherwise you could always try the bouldering cave near the Wave Cave - mostly eliminates but many easier variations.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:13 pm 

Post removed: Climbing / bouldering is not allowed at the mentioned area at this time.
See my post below for details.
Regards,
Justin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:19 pm 

King Soloman's Mine and Ferncliff near PMB are alright.

There are some problems on the boulders on the way to the Wave CAve at Shongweni as well as some scattered boulders at the bottom of Kloof Gorge.

I have details of some of these areas written on various scraps of paper and will one day put it into a single document.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:45 pm 

thanks guys! this is very helpful :) any other's in Gauteng, close to Joburg?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:38 pm 

The Wilds, a small city park in Joe Slovo Road (old Houghton Rd), has a small bouldering spot. There have been muggings in the past, but nothing recent I know off, mostly due to the fact that Gautrain construction is taking place there and they have upped the security because of it. A few good problems there.

There's also Melville Koppies, though it has a bit of a bad rep when it comes to crime. Also not as varied as The Wilds.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:28 am 

Strubens :twisted:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:31 pm 

Last edited by fridge on Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:05 pm 

There is some undeveloped bouldering in the Groenkloof nature reserve. I have done a few problems here, but haven't really had much time to go out there regularly. It looks pretty promising... maybe 6 or 7 different areas with a bunch of problems at each area. If it were to become a popular venue, I can't see access being much of a hassle. The reserve caters for mountain biking, hiking and 4x4 tracks etc and seems to be pretty popular for these activities. I'm sure they would love to add climbing to the list and collect a bunch more money at the gate (R17.00 odd per person). Its also super safe and has braai/picnic and over night facilities. the only downside is the boulders are a bit of a walk up the hill, 20 minutes most...(bummer).

There also is pretty cool boulder across the road, but it is on the monument park golf course property. I have done a bunch of bouldering here, but they have fairly recently put up an electric fence to keep out vagrants. I think access here may well be an issue (being an exclusive golf course and all), but they may be interested if a fee and strict rules are introduced. There is a real steep boulder at this spot that looks pretty futurist and hard.. I was never strong enough to get onto it though.. may be worth approaching the managers..

I have also looked at a band of white cliffs/boulders above Leeukop prison, just off Main road in Kyalami/Lonehill Haven't had a chance to go up there yet. Had a look on goolge earth and it doesnt seem to be on the actual prison property. There is a dirt road that seems to go right up to the base of these cliffs. I'd love to go up and have a look.

PM me if anyone would like to have a look or want to go exploring. I'm open on the odd occasion, but can't commit too much time to this....

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:10 pm 

Shorti - strubens is not a bouldering area ... blah blah :D - but just for laughs I learnt to multipitch at strubens - two of us hooked up half way on a route (a pumpy 16 - huge expsoure) we were about 2 metres off the ground - ridculous but fun :jocolor:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:11 pm 

Hi Everyone,

I have received a message from someone representing the management at the Ezemvelo Nature Reserve.
His message to me (read: all climbers, boulderers and people who touch rock with white powder and sticky rubber) is below.

I will edit references to climbing at the reserve but it is important that climbers are aware that the area is off limits until further notice.
(I've made the text larger)

Regards,
Justin

ClimbZA

Good day. I am representing the management of the game farm for the time being. Climbing in the Ezemvol Nature Reserve is not allowed. Because of the environmental impact. A study is being done on the impact of climbing in this area. I am requesting that this post is removed from the forum. It will take time to get access to this area. If any other people access this area, no access will be granted to any climbers in the future and no future access will be arranged.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:46 pm 

@ peanut

Where in Groenkloof are these boulders you speak so highly off? i mountain bike there every now and then but havent reall seen anything. please explain where as i would like to check it out!!

there are also a few routes in the Fearie Glen mountain reserve (plumbago i think it is called on the wiki) very small but fun for a friday afternoon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:07 am 

Hey gator
They are mostly just off the hiking paths on the SW side of the mountain, which is probably why you never saw them on you bike.
You can see them from the road (R21) when traveling towards PTA, or from Klapperkop.
They may not look like much from a distance because they are surrounded by vegetation.
There is also the dassie cave, closer to the fountains gate,this is a bit chossy and stinky but may be worth a look.