Quantcast
It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:16 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Climbing in KZN
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 1:03 pm 

My wife, Robyn, and I will be in KZN next week and we're keen to get some exercise. Which areas are safe??

I don't mind bouldering, sporting or even toproping some old trad stuff at Monteseel.

And before anyone suggests that we head out an climb Moose's Udder or Monk's Monkey - I'm not even slightly interested in ruining a trip to the berg by trying to climb there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 1:29 pm 

What areas are safe? In KZN :shock:

Guy, you can't expect everywhere to be as safe as grovelling under a boulder at Topside (I'm still waiting to come back and try the grovel start), but safe areas include:

All the crags at Kloof Gorge (please sign in at the main picnic area in Bridle road). I won't try and explain where the crags are, they haven't moved much since you were last there :wink: Prefer The Canyon, Boneyard or Rumdoodle for less rusty bolts.

Shongweni is great but please arrange a guard if you go to the caves (not for security but rather for the reserve managers peace of mind).

Howick Falls is well worth a visit with many new routes (RD's at http://kzn.mcsa.org.za )

Monteseel of course. Unfortunately the \"Colorado\" is now a Protea hotel and much too civilized for climbers. However, they do sell beer at the \"Hacienda\" nearby.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 2:56 pm 
White Umfalozi is awesome. best road trip I ever did was to this spot. Really peacefull. We spent 25 days there in 2003. Totaly recomend it. About 200 routes. +-60 bolted. Great setting. Great camp site. Lots of potential for new routes. Dont miss White Umfalozi.

Saw a black mamba...sh...at my pants.....

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 3:36 pm 

ScottS wrote:
Guy, you can't expect everywhere to be as safe as grovelling under a boulder at Topside (I'm still waiting to come back and try the grovel start),

I'm sensing a massive chance for sammich boy to get some retribution..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:24 am 

Thanks fellas.

Scott - what is your cell number, you can sms it to me on 082 2940899 if you don't want to put it here (there are some weird perverts dom inating this site).

I went to Howick in April - once was enough as it is a novelty venue. White Umph sounds great but the actual sighting of a black mamba rules it right out. I know that they are everywhere, but somebody actually seeing one!!!!!!!! I can't sleep after seeing one of our namby-pamby puffadders.

So I guess it's Kloof (Canyon) or Monties. What about bouldering?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 12:07 pm 
Guy wrote:
Thanks fellas.

Scott - what is your cell number, you can sms it to me on 082 2940899 if you don't want to put it here (there are some weird perverts dom inating this site).

I went to Howick in April - once was enough as it is a novelty venue. White Umph sounds great but the actual sighting of a black mamba rules it right out. I know that they are everywhere, but somebody actually seeing one!!!!!!!! I can't sleep after seeing one of our namby-pamby puffadders.

Go and try out King Solomon's Mine in PMB for bouldering - should be quite a lot of stuff in your range Guy, and it is the right time of year. I am sure Dave Drummond or Ky (Scott) can show you around! There is a topo in a back issue of SA Mountain.

Greg

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 12:08 pm 
Guy wrote:
Thanks fellas.

Go and try out King Solomon's Mine in PMB for bouldering - should be quite a lot of stuff in your range Guy, and it is the right time of year. I am sure Dave Drummond or Ky (Scott) can show you around! There is a topo in a back issue of SA Mountain.

Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:38 pm 
Actuly saw 2 mambas or the same one twice. Both were fairly large black snakes...presumed mambas. My snake identification is not that good whilst running with a chain saw, 5l petrol and a full pack with a drill+batteries and a trad rack. Did I mention screaming.

But I am the only one ever too have seen a B mamba at White Umfalozi. So don't let that put you off. It might not even have been one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 1:58 pm 
Derek

You obviously have no idea how scared I'm am of snakes. Terrified, completely totally and utterly terrified. I've seriously considered giving up climbing up climbing because of them.

However I am stricken with a severe genetic defect where my \"Explore new crags\" gene overrides my \"Fear of Snakes\" gene when I'm going to new areas. However, on the walk out the snake gene becomes dominant again and I have period unparalleled fear.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:34 pm 
Not that I am a snake expert but I don't think black mambas are actually black...are they not olive green/grey. I heard that the \"black\" portion was actually to do with the colour of the inside of their mouth as opposed to skin.

However you could be forgiven for not waiting to check out the inside of its mouth. :lol: I am also not fond of snakes........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:07 pm 
The two of the snakes I saw looked very black & quite large, but I'm not any sort of expert at all. They could have been any thing. Thank fully I didn't see inside their mouths.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 4:30 pm 
The Bouldering Cave next door to the Wave Cave is pretty cool for Bouldering. There is no guide book and I don't know any estableshed problems or grades but much fun can be had. If you hook up with some guys going to the cave on a Sat or Sun, the Guard cost is very affordable. A wild card for all zones also gets you in the reserve.

There are some bits and pieces of Bouldering at the bottom of kloof gorge, but the hectik walk out spoiles it a bit. If you like I can show you around (weekends only). my details are on the MCSA natal section site.

King sol is good, topos can be found at www.bouldering.co.za

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:12 am 
Gavin Peckham has just published a definitive route guide to rock climbing at the White Umfolozi River. The book is printed on 80 bond paper in A6 format with a spiral binding and plastic covers. It has 172 pages which include detailed RDs for over 220 routes, more than 20 maps and topos as well as many photos in B&W and full colour. The cost is R70 per copy plus R5 p&p (normal mail - your risk) or plus R15 p&p (registered mail with tracking number). Orders of 5 copies will be sent with no charge for p&p and orders of 10 copies will include an extra
(free) copy and free p&p.
Contact Gavin at: P O Box 593, Empangeni, 3880.
E-mail: gpeckham@pan.uzulu.ac.za
Tel 035-792 4543(a/h)