Quantcast
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:19 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Next steps
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:17 pm 

Good day,

My last post was about climbing in the east rand, and now that my brother and I have been to the gym for almost two months we want to tackle the great outdoors. But like everthing else there is a problem. I have been refered to two guys who can do the basic course and teach us but these guys seem to be very good and very busy so and wont be able to get them for about a month, but i really want to go outdoors. We are definatley going to do a begginers course but until then we want to try outdoor at least once. What should we do?

Post subject: Re: Next steps
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:38 pm 

Have you done any lead climbing in the Gym.
Do you have quickdraws
Can you tie the knots etc.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:08 pm 

Rupto,

No we havent done any lead climbing in the gym. I dont have any quickdraws but can buy some if needed. I know we need to learn all these things but there is no-one to train us for a month and i really want to go outdoors.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:50 pm 

Do yourself a favour: download & read this manual from Tukkies Exploratio club. If you follow the advice / instructions / whatever you want to call it in there, you'll be quite safe I believe. Check out the MCSA clubs in PTA / JHB, they have regular outings which I'm sure they'll allow you to join on a day trip

http://jhb.mcsa.org.za/
http://mag.mcsa.org.za/

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:07 pm 

Step 1: A Checklist
:arrow: Guide Book for your local crag
:arrow: 2 x Climbing harness
:arrow: 1 x Locking Carabiner and Belay Device
:arrow: +/- 10 Quickdraws (Check local guide book for average number of bolts)
:arrow: 1 x 60m Dynamic Climbing Rope

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:08 pm 

I think you are being very wise.

Of all the people who have tried to learn from books few get it right...

A mentor helps but otherwise an instructor is your best option, for the basics & the advanced stuff. Sure you are going to find guys who say they taught themselves - I would contend that they probably picked up a few bad practices or totally incorrect interpretations as to why some things are done...

Ok NOW THAT I HAVE OFFENDED SEVERAL PEOPLE who regard themselves as being the best climbers in the world....the point is that you may need to scout around or rediscuss this with the instructors, but PLEASE do not go & kill yourself because some smart aleck thinks he taught himself pretty good...Look at all the gear labels, they recommend proper instruction & SO DO I!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:59 pm 

There's an MCSA beginners meet this weekend:
"Sunday 29 March: Tonquani, 'Intro to Trad ' ; contact Grant Rens"
You can get the details off their website:
http://mcsa.org.za/jhbjoom/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=45&Itemid=75

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:35 pm 

Napaman the MCSA meets are a great way to be introduced to the sport, I went on several when starting out. Definitely read whatever books you can get your hands on, there is much to learn to be safe and enjoy yourself, but no book will ever replace hands on guidance from an experienced climber. The MCSA will certainly provide that, both as a gap fill for now, and after training, as a way to meet like minded people and get the correct introduction to climbing areas and the ways of the mountains/cliffs. Enjoy the road ahead! You have embarked on a wonderful journey!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:06 pm 

There's a company called GoVertical that offer beginner climbing courses in the Magaliesberg as well as a beginner sport climbing course at Strubens. I know because I did both through them back in the day. You can check out their website at www.govertical.co.za if you want. Combine their beginners courses with a good instructional book, like Rock Climbing: Mastering Basic Skills from Mountaineers Books and you should have a pretty solid foundation and be safe.

Oh and like many here suggested, you can only score by going to a few MCSA meets and joining the club. A lot of knowledgeable people there, and it would take you a much longer time to meet the right people if you weren't associated with the club.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:25 pm 

Thanks everybody for their informative replys.

I think been part of this forum is going to be the best source of info, thank you.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:42 pm 

Does anyone know where i can get Rock Climbing: Mastering Basic Skills locally (JHB) ive tried Exclusive and a few Climbing shops and no one has.