It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:54 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Kransberg
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 4:17 pm 
Anybody got an idea where I can find a guide for Kransberg? Someone spoke about a 7 pitch grade 12 - what, where, how much?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:09 am 
If you are thinking about the Kransberg in the Waterberg the MCSA JHB section can help you. This crag has some long easy trad climbs but a lot of the pitches can be combined as they were opened a long time ago. They are having a meet there in Oct. There is also a Kransberg in the OFS near Everest which is sport, has about 30 roughts opened back in the early 90's but max 3 pitches, and another Kransberg in the Cape, not shure what that is like.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 12:59 pm 

The crag you are thinking of in the Free State province is Kranskop. Access has been closed for several years. I believe this is due to a few climbers disregarding the access conditions...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 1:02 pm 
The classic easy route at Kransberg (in Waterberg, Limpopo Province) is Black Eagle Crag which as far as I remember goes at about 14/15. The start is really bushy but there are some awesome exposed pitches higher up. The wall is pretty big (150 - 200m). The other classic there is Angel Recess which is about 3 pitches of sustained and awesome 15. Well worth it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 3:12 pm 
Sustained 15? :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 7:35 am 
Wow Ali, so you obviously climb harder than 15. Thats such an achievement. You are just so much beter than me. You are amazing.

NOW get back on the street & make me some money! Slut

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 9:01 am 
Even my gran can climb 15.
Maybe you should get off your butt and do some training!
Then those 15's won't feel quite so sustained and you might even reach the mighty grade of 18. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:58 am 
I started climbing 6 months ago & now ican top rope all the routes at Kysands. thats not to bad hey. Those routes are not so short. 12m each. & i don't waist my time on anything less than 16.

see if you can do it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 1:21 pm 
Ok, so perhaps some of you cant wrap your minds around sustained 15. Its not something one usually encounters at a sport crag. Maybe u should get out there and do the route to see what I mean. The climb is a single corner, 150m, with no ledges. There are big grips all the way and a solid crack, but everyone was pushing grade at 15 once in their climbing career, and some might not be as proficient at finding rests as others. What does sustained mean if not \"a climb of uniform difficulty over most of its length\"? So stop nit-picking and clipping bolts and go climb some trad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 5:22 pm 
hey hec, sustained 15 oohh, no realy krantzberg sounds cool, when u wana go.is that the 1 past wilgepoort? looks like my trip to kenya is a go, so wana climb like a beast anyway!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 2:37 pm 
Sometimes old grade 15 trad climbs are not so easy, be carefull. As Hector mentioned they were opened when grade \"F\" was near cutting edge stuff. For example the first pitch of Coffin in the Magaliesburg opened in the 1950's which was graded F2 or 15 origionally, could be much the same grade as Babies Blood 18 at the Covern, both being similar climbs. All to do with grade erosion!!!