Quantcast
It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:46 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Re: Truitjieskraal
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 9:43 am 

Oh come now guys/gals, how do you see this as having anything to do with Truitjies?

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 10:17 am 

I've just mailed Liesl about Truitjieskraal.
Will post the outcome here.
Iain Smuts
MCSA (Paarl/Wellington)

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 7:44 pm 

Hi

This has nothing to do with Truitjieskraal, its all about Algeria's campsite and various walks in the surroundings. Sorry.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 8:36 pm 

Winter 2009? Sheez louise its here!!!!!!! OK you bunch of impatient boys and girls, I will go and chat to someone and let you know whats up :thumright

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 11:14 pm 

When you get off your throne take a few kreef with you....that should swing the deal Andy!! :clown:

Last edited by PistolPete on Wed May 27, 2009 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 11:19 pm 

For those that did indeed not READ the article i posted ....it has nothing to do with Truitjies obviously.....its got a lot to do with getting things up and running fast when huge revenues are being lost....

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 8:42 pm 

Hmmm - it seems we a little problem here. CN does not want us in there yet :x Before you all blow your fuses, let me discuss this with our Rock Subcom and try and approach this the diplomatic way via more senior channels. If that fails we can unleash some grumpy old men or hold a mass meet to at Truitjies. Personally I am getting very p1ssed off as I have put a bit of effort into this and now the run around. And like you, I'd like to go climb there.

What would be really useful is some feedback from someone who maybe wandered off route into the area. They can email me at andyDOTdaviesATeskomcoza

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 11:11 am 

WTF!!!

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 11:42 am 

Obviously you did not take enough kreef with you to swing the deal....what pisses me off even more is that these people should be addressing our questions with answers that are made public...and Andy,it does not require some grumpy old men to swamp the area...it just takes a bunch of buddies to pitch,avoid the plants and CLIMB broer!!...TIMES UP..."leopard crawling under the radar"...hey,thats even a good name for a new route!!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:00 am 

More news on this issue soon. The MCSA is focusing on this with a bit more vigour.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:43 pm 

Lisl ,CN Media Officer wrote back to me and basically said yesterday that"Truitjies is closed for the unforseen future as they are not happy about the state of the vegetation yet"...i have asked her to answer a few questions much more specifically ..ie..availability of reports on this closure,assessment of the vegetation status prior to the fire,etc...i will get the answers of this onto the Forum......

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:07 pm 

A Big-Up to everybody involved in trying to get the crag open again! I have only climbed there once, and am looking forward to making a trip of it again when it's open.
Every phone call and email counts.
Thanks for the effort guys :thumright

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:10 pm 

Thanx Pete!

That suck a$$ btw... they make me feel like a kid again... as if I(we) was naughty and they need to punish us. Brings back memories...

But am I the only one who feels like the're keeping it closed just because they can, a bit 'power tripping?'

:bom:

j

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:00 pm 

Will the next person going to Dwarsrivier or Kromrivier please take some pics of this area so we can all see exactly what the state of the environment is.

Im getting really really bored of hearing all this crap! I cant think of one other area where a fire has been the cause of a three year (!!!!) closure. Its f-ing lame. :twisted:

Last edited by XMod on Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:52 am 

I think with regards to CN we should probably play by the rules and if we are to approach them going through the MCSA would be a better idea. We might not agree with what they are doing but they manage the land not us, and if we piss them off enough its easy for them just to end access permanently. Be patient, find some other crags and try not to stuff it up for everyone else by sneaking in there.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:10 pm 

Hey XMod,....i see you got scared off by your buddies and changing some notes in your tune....you wont be able to change those spots whilst "leopard crawling under the radar"..haha :jocolor: ....just joking bru..i agree this whole thing has gone far enough...it was not exactly a lush rainforest tween those beautiful walls before the fire!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:34 pm 

"we should probably play by the rules"

Funny they don't/can't make wattles play by the rules...wattles & alien veg play by their own rules(much more distructive than climbing). Litterers do what they want...own rules. Ever seen what they allowed CNC to do to the Cango Caves?...own rules. Ever seen what CNC allows people other than climbers to do on Table Mountain?...own rules.

Why do climbers have to play by the rules, while everyone else plays by their own rules?

They make rules for climbers, because we play by the rules.

Our rule should be: scorched earth policy to all property owners who don't allow climbing.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:49 pm 

I edited my post more so that 'young impressionables' dont get the wrong idea. Im not sure Ive ever 'played by the rules' - heh heh! :evil:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:20 pm 

Yo Mickey....stop being limp, bru and take off the rose coloured spectacles....3 years sort of equates to "permanent" to a lot of people....not one of these f@#%*&s are prepared to come out into the open and state EXACTLY what the problem is,how they have assessed it prior to the fire etc,etc

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:38 pm 

My email to Lisl,CN Media Officer asking politely to tell us who does the assessments,and if there are any published reports etc...STILL AWAITS A REPLY..
Her response to my first mail took exactly 2hrs from when i sent it....she missed the point of my questions telling me Truitjies "is closed for the unforeseen future"..."there are other areas to climb at such as Sanddrif..."when its open again,CN will make sure the public knows.." I wrote back to her telling her there was nothing in her emal that i was unaware of and asked her to satisfy my listed queries specifically....

I am awaiting her answer now for 3 days!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:40 pm 

Pfft quit being lame dude. I dont necessarily agree with them closing the place for so long even though there might actually be a good reason for it. But just calling them a bunch of F#$%s and storming into the place isnt going to help the situation. If you are really interested in gaining access, stop acting like a spoilt child and try go through the right channels to see whats going on and if anything can be done about it. Dont just bitch on the forum and try see if you can get some info in a responsible way. Its not gonna help either if you get all antsy on the phone with CN and start throwing your toys because you want to climb, try see what the MCSA knows about the situation and see if you can help out in any way.

And there might not be a tropical forest at the place but as far as i know the Cederberg has some extremely fragile and rare vegetation which in low nutrient soil and harsh conditions takes ages to grow. So maybe it takes 5 years for the vegetation to grow back, if that's the case then you're just gonna have to wait.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:08 pm 

Yo micky....
just for the record...i have been actively rock climbing there since 1970 and photographing the nature of this amazing landscape in every season...and as far as this forum goes i am not using it to incite or drum up some reckless crap....so get a handle on this bru-emailing the Media Officer of CN is NOT "throwing toys out of the cot" or having a tantrum....we live in an age of accountability now and that goes for all of us...

No rose coloured spectacles or blinkers...its not a Trance Party...its Truitjies and most of us respect her a huge amount...go well

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:57 pm 

just have to wait huh? Every time I look at 'Western Cape Crags' there are these lines there Im itching to go explore just staring back at me.................more than a little frustrating!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:40 pm 

Andy....whats your email address??..or dont you check your mail often?...i have news

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:32 am 

...a 4hr walk in really foul weather to check it out in detail with someone that really knows....she is not ready for us yet,manne!!...thats my 2cents worth

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:35 am 

Yo XMod....sorry bud!!...i said hello to the rocks for you!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:34 pm 

Thanks for doing the legwork Pete - much appreciated!! :thumleft:
The rocks aint going anywhere, those lines can wait! So much other stuff I wanna explore closer to home, buzzing with all the potential Ive seen!!!! BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:54 pm 

Cape Nature has finally provided us with a commitment to re-open Truitjieskraal. Apparently the vegetation has recovered so much so that they have built some nice new paths for us. They are busy repairing the access road and will then re-open this area. The committed date for re-opening is the start of the December school holidays (11 December for those of you without kids). We will follow up with Cape Nature mid November to see if it can be opened up earlier.

Source: MCSA Cape Town Rock Subcom

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:18 pm 

The people at Kromrivier said that Truitjieskraal is officially open from the 1st of December. And they 'control' the access, so I guess we can all go there from the 1st of Dec and it will be ok!

Yay!
:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:57 pm 

ossem!!