It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:06 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:53 am 

hi guys and girls

i'm very new to the whole climbing scene, hav only been to a climbing wall twice... but i luv it! i want to start buying gear (very slowly as im quite poor!) but im not sure where the best places in pretoria is to shop?

also how would one go about when wantin to create a new sport climbing route on a game farm? obviously i wont be the one doin it, because that'll mean certain death for me, but i know of quite a nice rockface on a gamefarm (say about 40m high).

last question...promise! does anybody know if there is a climbing route on hangklip mountain, in the entabeni nature reserve, limpopo province? it looks spectacular!

any info and tips will be gladly apreciated (for i am still a virgin climber...)

thanks

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:11 pm 

It's a bit of a drive, but I'd recommend Drifters in Sandton, otherwise Hikers Paradise in Centurion is not bad. I think The Barn (climbing gym, PTA East) also stocks some gear.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:31 pm 

Try the guys from Gravity Training. www.gravitytraining.co.za. Guys name is Ryno or Gert. They have all the gear and last time I checked the prices were great. Rudy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:45 pm 

thanks for the info. i phoned gravity, they dont sell recreational gear any more :( i'll definitely try hikers paradise in centurion

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:51 pm 

Hanglip is an MCSA venue but access is a little difficult- either being shelled by the military or being eaten by lions...contact the MCSA Jhb as they may have details... :afro:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:49 pm 

Or you can pay serious $$$ and get a chopper flight to the top of Hanglip, whack a golfball off and then rap down and climb a route. Surely one of the most obscene examples of rampant consumerism around?

But to answer your question, jpsteyn, there are lots and lots of old-school trad routes at Hanglip. Scary rounded bulges and exfoliating flakes - lovely stuff! Big though, Hanglip frontal is about 15 pitches. The MCSA usually tries to have a meet there once a year.

Where is this game farm? Whats the rock like? Pictures?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:10 pm 

the chopper flight up seems like the safest way to get past the lion problem... the game farm is on the sterkrivier road (same road to hanglip/entabeni).its about 220km from pretoria. alot of the boulders on the farm is made up of lava rock with those round riverpebbles in them (ill try to find a photo) and the one rockface is red...? but i dont think its sandstone.

im trying to post a few photos of the rocks next to one of the waterfalls, i havnt taken photos of all the neat climbing spots yet.