Quantcast
It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:35 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:08 pm 

I posted a while back about being in stellenbosch for 5 months. just lookin for some beta on where to climb/find climbing partners. also, how far away is most good bouldering/route climbing from stellenbosch? do a lot of people have cars?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:48 am 

Hi

There are 2 indoor climbing gyms in Stellies. One is more of a bouldering wall (3m high) at the Neelsie (student centre) and the other is a the Van der Stel sport club has a full on gym, lead wall, bouldering and everything.

There is some climbing on the mountains surrounding Stellies but I wouldn't recommend it because the routes are rarely climbed and have lots of loose choss. There is good climbing within 90 minutes drive of Stellies (Klienmond, Paarl, Du Toits, Hellfire and Cape Town)

I would recommend joining the Somerset West (hottentots holland) section of the MCSA, because there are lots of climbers who are members.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:15 pm 

Nic Le Maitre wrote:
There are 2 indoor climbing gyms in Stellies. One is more of a bouldering wall (3m high) at the Neelsie (student centre) and the other is a the Van der Stel sport club has a full on gym, lead wall, bouldering and everything.

:lol:

Uhm... Nic, the climbing wall at the Van der Stel club is non-existent... There isn't even a roof for the steel bars and rubble, which are stashed OUTSIDE the club...

The only training place at the moment, is at the Neelsie.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:31 pm 

Has anyone any news about what's happening with the Perfect Wall being moved to Van Der Stel sports club?
The last I've heard was that the plans to build the whole thing weren't even approved yet...
Any idea of expected time frames?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:47 pm 

OOPS, sorry thought that they had got it sorted already :oops:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:00 am 

any good bouldering nearby? of course there is rocklands, but is there anything more local? worth developing? i won't have a car... what is the metro like from stellenbosch to cape town? feel free to ignore all of these inquiries. i'll be arriving sat and am sure i can hash these things out within a day or two.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:58 am 

Hi

There is nothing in stellies itself, there is bouldering at Paarl and in Cape Town. There is an area with awesome looking potential bouldering on the way out of the Du Toits kloof on the N1 to Worcester. Not sure what the situation as regards access there would be as it is on private land.

You can get a train to Cape Town fairly easily though most of the climbing areas with the exception of Table Mountain proper are relatively far (not walking distance) from the centre of Cape Town and you will struggle to get to them without your own transport. Public transport is not very good unfortunately :(

There are a bunch of people in Stellies who climb regularly and I'm sure you can tag along

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:56 am 

hey all. i'm in stellenbosch. anyone know where to meet stellenbosch climbers? school doesn't start for a week or so, but yeah. sometime this week i'm gonna head to city rock via train most likely and hopefully meet some people. thanks for the help

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:45 am 

Hey

You can go check out the climbing wall next to the Neelsie student centre. The door is kinda tucked in a corner right opposite the entrance of the polymer-science building. It's pretty quiet with all the students bieng on holiday, but you might be able to find some climbing characters if you go there late afternoon round 5-6 o'clock. Just, knock on the door.
Good climbing then

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:37 am 

Hey
Stellenbosch valley is situated allong the of the Eerste River and has some amazing Cape Dutch architecture. Stellenbosch is also known as 'Eikestad' because of its oak tree lined streets. Wines from the Stellenbosch region are just amazing.

Now there are usually lots of fantastic restaurants in tunbridge wells to visit.