It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:57 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: CityROCK
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:54 am 

Hey all

Well, this is my first post here. Nice...

I am from JHB, but am in CT for 3 months on business. Wanna go check out the cityROCK gym, seen the website and it looks awesome.

Dont have my belay buddy here :( , so gonna have to concentrate on bouldering, but thats not a problem at all! So what is the bouldering there like? Is the cave also a good climb? I normally go to the Kya Sands gym in JHB, just a few walls, and looks nothing like cityROCK. Cant wait!

Anyways...guess I might see a couple of you there! Cheers :)

SB

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:48 pm 

Aside from our amazing plastic crags (aka: city rock).....

we actually have average crags and bouldering areas with average aesthetic appeal and most of these average areas have average views of the cape.... which is also pretty much an average place to do the out door thing!!!!

on second thought if you are only here for 3 months, you may as well not bother going to the landz or oudshoorn, coz those areas are also just about average, especially considering the half day drive from cape town??????
Actually we are not all bastards... I'm sure you will find some people at city rock that will be willing to show you the great out doors

Post subject: Re: CityROCK
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:50 pm 

SilverBack wrote:
Hey all

So what is the bouldering there like? Is the cave also a good climb? I normally go to the Kya Sands gym in JHB, just a few walls, and looks nothing like cityROCK. Cant wait!

SB

Ha, can't compare the two. One's a gym, the other is an attempt.
Enjoy!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:55 pm 
... and as for the real crags and boulders, that's just a silly question.

Welcome to an endless playground!!
:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:02 pm 
Howsit, you have to admit Kyasands has something special about it, I think its the extra adrenaline, never quite sure that everythings gonna hold :lol: Enjoy cityrock, got no one to belay me tonight :( sucks, gonna have to go traversing :roll: no bouldering cave :oops: damn the emoticons are fun :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:11 pm 

I really just dont understand????

How can people have such a urge to be on plastic?????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:50 pm 
Hay fool, people climb on plastic because it is easily accesible and a relatively safe place to learn, I have been climbing since march (not long) and have started climbing outdoors about 3 months ago (got brave enough) - you're right, after you've been outdoors climbing at the gym isn't nearly as real or enjoyable, its awesome to go outdoors, but tonight when I finish work (at about 6:30) I cant make it outdoors so I head to the gym - simple. On the weekends I try to go outdoors whenever I can, outdoors is outdoors, real rock, real sun, everything plastic tries to be.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:53 pm 

I think most of us would prefer to be out on the rock.

But when you can't, like when it's night time or raining, then the gym is the next best option. It's great for training when you can't get to the rock. Personally I'd rather be on plastic than nothing. Maybe Stellenbosch is a whole lot safer but I live in Jhb. Fraid you won't catch me out at the crags at night :wink: gym it has to be.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 3:33 pm 
gyms really do suck---lank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 3:54 pm 

Tigerclaw - Damn dude...that sucks! Seems like the guys are falling off this log. So we know about J and his cycling...but whats happenned to M? We have gone from 4 strong to 1! When Ive healed, and will be able to get back onto the rocks...at least it should go to 2 strong? Maybe 3? I know M works long hours etc, but seems like they are losing interest, or is it just me?

Eish baas! :wink:

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 3:58 pm 

Hairy Uncle wrote:
gyms really do suck---lank

I cant say I agree. Like Tigerclaw said, sometimes you cant go outdoors, and a gym is the only alternative. Also, gyms have their own benefits, like practicing technique etc...so a gym in my opinion works! :wink:

In my case, its the only option for now...so what do I do? Stop climbing for the time Im away from home, or use a climbing gym? I think I will take the latter thanks! :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 4:09 pm 
Howsit, hell cape town hasnt done your looks any good :lol: Ya, lots of excuses up here, maybe its just the end of the year and things are getting to busy :cry: I hope thats the case? Otherwise I'm going to have to see who else I can hook up with, maybe I can find someone at the gym? I have been talking with a guy from MCSA about rebolting at Strubens and he wanted me to come out and help him so maybe that will crack.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 4:25 pm 

Yeah I know...but its not like I had much hair to begin with anyways!

Hopefully it is that, and they are not losing interest! Dont forget about me, will still be up there every 2nd weekend, so I will (hopefully) be joining you...and dragging the lil lady along, if she doesnt wanna come, but last time I checked, she was keen too. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 4:48 pm 
Cool cool, I'm definately looking forward to it - everest needs commitment :wink: See you later