It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:42 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:26 pm 
Like many other climbers I am registering my ascents on 8a.nu. I am not doing this to compete against anyone or get a ranking, but rather to monitor my own progress. Anyway, I might as well try to do it right, and that's why I'd like to hear what grade conversion other people are generally using.

I have been looking at the one at this site, climb.co.za, and the one in the \"Western Cape Rock\" guidebook, and they differ quite a bit. I have generally been using the one on this web site, but after looking at the guidebook one I've started wondering if it's right. The SA to French conversion on this site is exactly identical to the Australian to French conversion on 8a.nu, which is funny. The guidebook one suggests a harder french grade for most corresponding SA grades.

So, which conversion table is (most) correct?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 3:29 pm 
Australians can't count. So don't even begin to try and find similarities between their system and the SA system. Although it is suposed to be the same.

Post subject: SA to French grades
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:52 pm 
SA & Aus are about 1 grade apart. 8a in Aus grades = 29 and in SA grades it is 30.

Having climbed some French graded routes I believe this to be the best approximation:

25 = 7a+
26 = 7b
27 = 7b+
28 = 7c
29 = 7c+
30 = 8a
etc.

Below 25 it becomes difficult (some overlapping). My advice - spell the route name correctly and see what others are grading it.

This conversion chart may also help you (more accurate than the one on this site):

http://www.saclimb.co.za/codes.html#Grades