Quantcast
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:14 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: 8a.nu Etiquette
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:31 am 

Howzit guys!

Just one or two things that i am a bit confused about when it comes to posting my ascents on 8a.nu:

*I just recently created a profile, so when it comes to adding my all-time routes, is it okay if I take a winger at the month of the ascent as long as it was over a year ago (so not to raise points on my recent top 10)?

*What's the deal with repeat ascents- if it drops off your annual score- is it cool/not cool to climb it again, and then add it again under "repeat ascent"?

Just don't want to step on anyones toes- I have seen how mean you people can be!!! :lol:

Post subject: Re: 8a.nu Etiquette
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:14 am 

Hey Dogleg
From the questions you ask, it sounds like you've given it some thought. I would not get to stressed about the whole thing. Mostly some thought is all that's needed.
- if you can't remember the exact date of your send, a month estimate should be good enough.
- the site allows for logging repeats, so log them if you want.
It gets a bit lame if you log the same climb 5 times, or log all your ascents on the same day just to get your score up. If you do that, you should probably reassess the reason you climb.
If you just want to log the stuff you climb (and you happen to love a climb so much that you do it 5 times in a row), there is an option of logging a climb as a logbook ascent (no score). Maybe have a look at that.
:alien: hope i'm making sense

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:05 pm 

Shot Lelikegogga,

I'm nowhere near the top 20 (yet-so watch out!!! :evil: ) and I guess the guys that are there, scrutinize each others scorecards, especially around the Rock and Road cut off date.
Some people also only add climbs above a certain grade, despite onsighting a lower warm up.
I like it mainly as a logbook, but see no point in doing laps on something and adding it, even though it is point-less. :wink:

Cool, so in other words- just don't be a dick about it and fill in whatever you see fit.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:27 pm 

If u want to log a repeat then just click the little recycle symbol next to the route on your 'routes' page, that automatically regenerates a repeat entry. If you cant see a route you know you have climbed switch views to all time ascents at the top the routes page. Theyve made it pretty easy to use. I can see that it is a bit 'off' to log repeats if you are competing for points, but remember climbers overseas have a way huger selection to chose from, I think in this country its inevitable that you will repeat routes often.

I log repeats, but have my page set to logbook only as thats what I use the system for. Thinking of which I need to get on the rock again so I can actually log something!! - sigh!