Quantcast
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:51 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:45 am 

At the CityRock bouldering comp Jane Hewitson took a nasty fall off the feature wall and fractured one of her vertebrae.

This was despite being spotted and being over the crashpad. Seems she hit a join between two pieces of foam and landed in just the right manner to do the damage. So beware - despite every precaution accident do happen. Take care out there...

So, its a stable L1 vertebra fracture with 6 weeks bed-rest / no physical activity - she's still in hospital, but should be out today.

This is going to be hell on Jane since she cycles and runs every day and climbs 3 times a week.

I offer my support and best wishes to her.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:10 pm 

Poor girl. I wish and pray for her speedy and full recovery.

I know they've done the spotting well, and I know that the boulder mats are very good.

I've seen boulderers not being spotted by their buddies, and if the climber should have fallen, they might have ended up with head or spinal injuries...

And now, sadly, people have done it right and someone still got hurt...

I just need to say that people need to realise that the safety in bouldering is only the spotter and crashpad, and the need to do it correctly seem to become more and more apparent - this case in point.

So no more sitting and belaying, pay attention to your safety checks before climbing, and be an attentive spotter always! I'm still convinced that climbing can be more safe than eg. rugby...if done correctly.

Best wishes to Jane and her family, friends.

j

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:20 pm 

I too am very sorry that this has happened to Jane. When I first saw her lying there I was rather horrified. But it sounds like she will be fine after 3 weeks of rest.
I have to correct forum poster 'Not' above. We had every available staff member stationed all over the gym to make sure that exactly this type of thing doesn't happen. But our twelve staff couldn't be everywhere at once. According to Devan, one of our employees, who saw the whole thing happen: "Jane was 2m up and almost horizontal when she fell on her coccyx. Her spotter was standing quite a distance away, off the mats, too far away to redirect her fall". There is also no crack on the mats at that point. Coming down 2m on your funny bone and not your legs is what did it. The moral of the story is to always always always use a spotter.

Other than that it was a great comp. We had well over 100 boulderers competing, probably the biggest turnout ever for a climbing competition in South Africa.
Andrew Wood won the mens open, Julia Chen the womens open. Detailed results in a separate post.

Robert Breyer, co-owner

Last edited by robertbreyer on Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:36 pm 

Okay, I'll stand corrected Robert,

I was in the cave when the fall happened, so didn't see it myself.

Regardless, the purpose of my post still stands, to wish Jane a speedy recovery and to warn people to be careful out there - although I'll now add that its important to spot and belay properly.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:42 pm 

Hey

Just wanted to say thanks for the well wishes! Wasn't my plan make my debut on climbza by injury but for what it's worth, am on the mend, using a hangboard at least ;)

Thanks again! :)

Jane