Quantcast
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:31 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Wanna get strong?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:31 pm 

I have been going to the wall at St.Peter's Prep School in Paulshof for some time now. Recently, Neil Margetts pulled half of it down and re-built it. It is MUCH harder and nastier now. Congratulations to Neil, Andrew and whoever else was involved for building what I reckon is now the best training venue in Joburg. Within weeks of jump-starting my climbing I'm working 22s and 23s off a base of 17/18! Fantastic job guys, well done!

Post subject: Re: Wanna get strong?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:55 pm 

Sound nice just one thing gyms are just for strength and endurance training grades they are way to easy and some not climbable due to the person that set the route been longer than normal people. Climbing outdoors is a different story as you need to find the holds and aslo there is more choices of holds for you to use. So at the end I use the Gym just train during the week days

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:44 pm 

Hey Blood Wolf. You obviously haven't been there. Firstly, this is not a gym, it is a bouldering cave - a big bouldering cave. Secondly, if you think it's a pansy venue then get on your bike and get down here and show us your forearms. I challenge you to do two consecutive traverses on the biggest jugs you can find without falling off. Thirdly, this is not a venue designed for gym rats. It's a venue designed for climbers who want to supercharge their performance on rock. Give it a try, you won't be dissappointed.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:34 pm 

Hi Rocklooney

This sounds excellent. Can you help with a few questions please ?

Is the wall open to people visiting from Cape Town ? I am in JHB for a week a month and have found the drive through to Wonderwall in Kyasands pretty taxing on the nerves in rush hour traffic. I have also found the grips at Wonderwall to be massively greasy and slippery in need of a good clean. I stay in a guest house in Epsom Downs which is also closer to Paulshof.
Is there a fee charged at this wall & if so how much ?

I know where Paulshof is, is St Perter's prep just off, or close to Witkoppen road ?
Can you please give me some more info.
Thanks a mill

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:43 pm 

Hi Paul. Far as I know no prohibitions on Capetonians :thumright R 50 a session or R 550 for six months unlimited use. Maybe Neil will do a special rate for you seeing as you are only here a week a month. Mail me on rocklooney@gmail.com and I'll put you in touch with him. It's just east of the corner of Witkoppen and Main Roads.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:09 am 

Hi

I am normally there on Tues, Wed and Thurs nights. Feel free to come in and climb. There is a cost of R40 per session. The school is currently redoing the parking lot, so you will have to go in at St Peters Prep main entrance and drive through the school. Ask for directions at the main gate. The normal entrance will be open in about 3 week time, which will be opposite the Porsche dealer on Witkoppen rd (one mile west of the corner of Witkoppen and Main). The new parking lot is going to be awesome, over 300 cars. We have recently added a ton of new grips. Almost every hole has a grip on it. We have also spent nearly R20 000 on mats. The entire climbing area has been covered 0.65m deep, with 2 layers overlapping. No gaps at all.

Give me a call if you are interested. 083 669 3028

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:43 am 

yup, have to agree, Neil's put in loads of effort and the gym is awesome

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:53 pm 

Cool home page pic Neil! Pity it's a picture of Tyrone and not my incredible physique :-( The girls will be very disappointed. Seriously though, I was amazed at how strong some of the climbers (especially the beginners) have become from regular sessions there. When I started in August I was climbing 18/19 and with a push you might have got me onto a 21. This weekend I'm going to Fernkloof and will be working a couple of 24s, and not too scared to attempt leading them either. What I just cannot get is that when I go to the crag, people look at me like I'm insane when I talk about the gym at St.Peter's. So for those of you who still don't know, and who are still living in the darkest of ages, and who have serious problems with sloppy muscles .... get your asses down there and pump up those biceps! If you can't get the hell away from that pizza you're munching on, then at least have a look at it from the comfort of your keyboard www.saclimbingacademy.co.za