Quantcast
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:21 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:15 pm 

Yes I'm afraid so. And I'm a smoker. As a smoker there's something Lexington about lighting up after finishing my main route of the day. There are however a vast majority of climbers who do not smoke, and don't dig it %$#@all. I often don't smoke at the crag, but sometimes I do, and when I want a ciggy I bugger off well out of the way and enjoy my ciggy out of nostril range. When I'm done, I kill my ciggy and put the butt in my pocket. What happens to me when it's my non-smoker wife's turn to do the washing is not relevant here. What is relevant is that I picked up EIGHTEEN STOMPIES at Bronkies today!!!! OTHER CLIMBERS' STOMPIES!! The first one I noticed was squashed onto a ledge sort of at waist height .... like coool! An organic ashtray ... RAD!! The rest were on the ground. Can we get something clear here. LEAVING STOMPIES (and any other rubbish) LYING AROUND AT THE CRAGS, AND BLOWING SMOKE INTO THE FACES OF OTHER NON-SMOKING CLIMBERS, PISSES THEM OFF AND JEAPORDISES OFTEN HARD-WON ACCESS RIGHTS!!!! DON'T DO IT!! YOU HEAR ME? DON'T DO IT!! It also shows how environmentally unconscious some of us smokers are, which in this day and age, is not a cool type of person to be. Please man.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:57 pm 

I just missed your record - I got 17, but at the bases of just 3 climbs. My favourite find was some lady's (and I use the word very loosely) stash of 3 stompies in a crack (see the girlie-smoke-white-butts in pic)

Attachment:
Bronkies Butts2.jpg
Bronkies Butts2.jpg [ 35.45 KiB | Viewed 1392 times ]

For our smoking friends: I can provide a green-screen version of the above should you want to photoshop in your favourite nature scene.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:55 am 

One of my friends keeps all his cigarette stompies in his pocket, and throws it out when het gets home. I (also an occasional smoker at the crags) hate that smell in my clothes, so I use a glass babyfood jar which I keep in my climbing bag. It seals properly, so you don't get the smell on your clothes or in your bag.
My 2 cents. :pig:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:15 pm 

I think there is a pretty easy solution - if you smoke at the crag you can only smoke grass, fully biodegradable and second hand users will be happy to see you. Plus if you fall down the darwinian cleansing of the gene pool will kick in :afro: (wish there was a rasta emoticon)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:08 pm 

I smoke everywhere I go, but never just chuck the butts. I usually keep them in a side pocket of my bag.
The whole point of getting out there is that it doesn't look like to JHB city!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:31 pm 

thank you to the considerate smokers that don't throw their buds everywhere, and also don't smoke in nostril range from the crags.

One thing that gets to many/most non-smokers is not being able to escape from not only how cities look, but also smell. They like clean air, where their lungs don't feel violated around every corner. Being (at crags) in nature offers exactly that to them: clean air, clean earth. And yet you always get people who will smoke right there between people who don't want it. This weekend we climbed in Cederberg gorge - that's about as far removed from civilisation as you can get in that area - and there was a guy who lit up his cigarette amidst everyone - this isn't considerate at all and I had no choice in it. I can walk away from the crag, and loose 20 minutes of climbing time because someone had a craving.

I beg all smokers to please be considerate of this. Smoking is unfortunately affecting everyone in the vicinity - non-smokers choose not to smoke, don't force them to inhale something they chose against in the first place?

I promise I won't force you to eat my soybean, banana and pilchard sandwiches if you promise not to make me smoke with you.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:15 pm 

I suspect Heinrich your comment of

Quote:
I beg all smokers to please be considerate of this. Smoking is unfortunately affecting everyone in the vicinity - non-smokers choose not to smoke, don't force them to inhale something they chose against in the first place?

Is going attract the ire of a few smokers preaching about free will and a lot of BS about how its not affecting you. So I preempt any such post by suggesting to all non-smokers that should any smoker claim that their smoke isn't affecting you or that they aren't breaking any laws, do the following.

Discreetly move near where the smoker's gear is. Take a piss near (but not on) their gear. Watch them whine!

Hey...you're not breaking any laws...and are just answering nature's call.

[Flame on!]

zb.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:29 pm 

I love the free will arguements, they crack me up :lol: . If you had free will you would surely stop smoking because it is killing you.

I like the pissing idea, going to start using it in all walks of life, Anyone know what bail is for public exposure.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:38 pm 

Pref with their gear downhill from your location :twisted:

As for the "considerate" smokers out there - I find it very hard to believe, sorry. I'll take a bet that after all the mother-nature-loving-considerate-to-the-max-smokers left the crags when the Roc Rally is done, there'll be plenty fresh stompies, nevermind other litter.

Perhaps we should put up a bounty for a pic / name of a person caught messing up our crags - name them & shame them.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:12 pm 

Oh well. I guess someone has to stir the pot hey. This thread's just way too warm and fuzzy. Emile, here's the deal. If you catch me ditching stompies or polluting your airspace you can cut my gonads off, dry them out, and use them for anchors on the next route you open. I am bald, quite old (relatively speaking), average height, have crooked teeth, wear very old LS muiras, my name is Pat, and I climb regularly at Chosspile and Bronkies. Have faith, my non-smoking brother, I shall not fail you.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:33 pm 

eeeeeuuuuwww :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:59 pm 

Quote:
you can cut my gonads off, dry them out, and use them for anchors on the next route you open

And that kids are why nuts are called nuts :lol: