Quantcast
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:20 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:30 am 

Have a this rope for about 5 months now and about a month ago decided to wash it. Performed a hand wash with just water and then used a rope brush to remove excess water. Dried it in a cool dark place for about 6 days. Have now noticed it twists in huge amounts and knots easily when cleaning coming down, is there anything i can do to resolve this or am i looking at another rope?Oh ya and is always kept in a rope bag and coiled properly.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:43 pm 

I heard the edlinger is made in madagascar and not even sold in europe at all...
Aren't top quality stuff made in 1st world countries and cost a wee bit more? Like the rest of the beal range, bluewater ect ect
THAT's the reason you pay more for certain ropes!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:07 am 

I've found that ropes sometimes twist when you use different belay devices. So if you use a Grigri and your regular partner belays you with an ATC type device, expect twisting.
Something that can also make a difference in the beginning is how you uncoil your rope - did you uncoil it 'nicely' or dump it on the ground and kick the tangles out?

Beal does manufacturer in Madagascar but a quick search on the web shows that the Edlinger is sold in the US and UK

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:46 am 

Odd,

I have had my Edlinger since I started climbing about a year ago. It has seen many many uses and 3 or 4 washes with no trouble. I always wash my rope in my bath (without me in the bath) and hang it up carefully laid out on a clothes horse in a well ventilated, out of the sun spot to dry. Once dry I throw the rope off my balcony (one side tied to something) and haul it up and coil as I go to remove any twists.

I have absolutely no complaints about the rope, but my next rope will be dry treated just to give me more flexibility on usage and it supposedly helps with wear too (not that I've had a problem in this regard).

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:11 am 

Pulling the rope through the chains (the full length of it) or hanging it like 'Not' does will also help remove twistings.

You mention you coil your rope and put it in a rope bag - coiling will assist twisting, try not to coil your rope if you can help it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:34 am 

Oh yeah, good point. I only coil my rope when I need to pack it into a small space - for a say a 16 hour drive to rock rally. Otherwise its stored in an ordered pile in my rope bag. I feed it straight into the centre of the tarp and tie the top end onto a tag so i can find it, then I buindle the tarp into the attached bag.

Bleak about your rope. Perhaps hang it off a nice high route. The top of Gospel Express should do it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:33 pm 

cool ill maybe try your idea NOT and after washing and drying untwist and aswell as not coiling all the time. SHot guys will let you know ho it turns out.