Quantcast
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:10 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: path up to Lake Side
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 4:08 pm 
The direct path up from the road to lakeside is looking like it has all the makings of an erosion gully. Since the burn there is little vegitation holding things together and a cuppla strong rains is all it would take.
I suggest it is better to hike up the established trail to the left until level with the crag and then traverse across. Placing kerns will quickly establish a better trail there. Any other ideas?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:15 am 

I agree totally. The current path is definately eroding and your solution conti is probally the only logical one.

Post subject: eroded path
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:33 am 
Ja, we gave this path some thought when the new path to the Hole was built. The problem is that it would have taken more money than we had, and also more effort. This is kind of why we make appeals for as many ppl as possible to help out when there's a pathbuilding meet. Problem is it's a lot of effort to organise one of those... I mean, we wanna go climbing sometimes too and not just organise path meets.

Anyway, until that path gets sorted out, I would like to make an appeal to folk not to use the direct path up to the crag. It's just going to make things worse, and come the winter rains, it will become an erosion gulley, dumping sand all over the road.

Is there another, more angled route up to that crag... if so, can someone post details about it, so that we can use this way instead? I will try and organise for Parks to put a sign at the base of that path asking ppl not to use it.
b

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 2:37 pm 
If you drive just a little further up the road there is a parking lot from where a trail heads up into the mountain. Walk up the trail until you are level with the base of the crag and then walk across to the right... make sure you don't head too high up. Drop a little into a depression that has some big boulders in it and then scramble easily up coming out just below undrecling route. This takes just as long as the direct scramble even though it is a little longer.

Post subject: MCSA sponsor
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:30 pm 

If we can get a volunteer to organise a pathbuilding meet, then the MCSA will gladly pay for the logs and stakes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:40 am 

I will help with the path building.
Let us know (on this site) and I will be there!