It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:02 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:10 pm 

Hello,

I will be in the Western Cape area from December 2, 2005 till December 18, 2005. I would like to know if it is usually too hot to climb in Montagu in December. Where are the best climbing areas in December within a three/four hours drive from Cape Town? I prefer to climb (french) 6b-7b/7c. Since my climbing-partner is a beginner it would be perfect if some easier stuff (french 5-6a) was available.

Thomas

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 7:40 am 
Montagu sounds about right for your needs. It's pretty hot in December, but not nearly as bad as people will try to tell you.

Have fun 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 8:15 am 

Hi Thomas,

It will be hot in Montagu over December, however the heat is a dry one and as long as you are in the shade its fine. Early monring and late afternoon climbing is recommended. There are lots of easy routes in Montagu.
Make sure you stay somewhere that has a pool - www.debos.co.za
Enjoy :D

Post subject: montagu december
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 10:29 am 
Personally I would not have Montagu as my first choice in December, because there will be a number of hours when it will be too hot to climb. You tend to be a bit restricted to early morning and evenings. My choise would be Rocklands and other Cedarberg venues, as the slight increase in altitude can makew it a bit cooler. Kleinmond is another great summer venue.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 10:33 am 
...and avoid oudtshoorn. It gets scorchers! you'll only have early mornings and late afternoon. The peninsular crags are good in summer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:19 pm 
Don't worry about the heat in monatgu. plenty of craggs to climb in the shade in morning and afternoon. just been there for a couple of days and it was fine. take your boardshorts and a book to read in siesta-time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 12:49 am 

so some-body did geography and learnt about the adiabatic lapse rates of 'wet' and 'dry' air............... sorry i just like stirring things up a bit.

personly i think that any time on the rock is TIME WELL SPENT.
so if you go to montegue, which does have many crags that experience almost no sun, and you find it to hot to push grades.... just do twice as many easier routes and when the cold does come you will be cranking.

i know some people who would rather hang around until the contiditions are perfect before they even think about warming-up................. for me life is far to short!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 12:55 am 

Oh ja... leaving tomorrow for oudshoorn for a few days... the predicted temps are around 35 celcius...

wait for the update???