Quantcast
It is currently Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:20 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:06 am 

Hi All

I'm in the market for a pair of crampon compatible boots that don't weigh so much that you can hardly pick up your feet (i.e. the La Sportiva Makalu/Karakorams are out). La Sportiva make a range of boots called the Trango's which look ideal (light weight, can actually walk in them etc), and I'm particularly interested in either the Alp GTX or the S Evo GTX.

These seem ideal and they have received many favourable reviews. But, there is however a problem... The local people (MMO/Mammoth etc) don't stock them at all. And I very hesitant to buy a pair of boots online, especially expensive ones, with out the opportunity to try them on. So I'm asking, is there anyone in the Cape Town/Stellenbosch/Somerset West area who has a pair in an SA 8/European 42 (or something close) that I could try on?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:21 am 

sent pm

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:40 pm 

Nic

Also check out the Salomon Pro Ice 2. They were going very cheap a while back and are an awesome pair of boots. I've had two pairs. I did about 3500km of walking in the first pair and eventually kicked the front lip smooth so could no longer clip my crampons onto them. The second pair I now only use for ice climbing. They have a cool feature of a plastic sleeve that fits into the tongue of the boot, so when you walking you leave it out but when you get onto steeper ground you put it in and it adds more support.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:33 pm 

Sadly, or at least as far as I can tell from Salomon's rather irritating website, they no longer seem to make high end boots, but rather concentrate on running shoes-hiking boot crossovers...

I will keep looking