On Saturday 9 October 2010 MCSA Paarl/Wellington will be having a mountain navigation training exercise.
Meeting place: The River House, Olive Glen Farm
Time: 18h25 (6:25pm)
Who may attend: MCSA members and guests.
What to bring:
• Suitable warm, windproof or rainproof clothing depending on the specific weather conditions of the evening.
• Torch or head torch.
• Compass if you have one or have access to one. (We will not be using any GPS equipment for the exercise so you can leave yours at home).
• A means of measuring time.
• Pen or pencil.
• Mobile phone.
What to expect:
• You will be provided with the route description and a series of Google Earth image maps of differing map scales.
• A brief description of Naismith’s Rule for estimating time as well as the variables covered by Tanter’s Variation to Naismith’s Rule.
• You will plot your route on the maps and prepare your navigation cards, using Naishith’s Rule for time estimation.
• After dark you will head out and walk your route. Remember this exercise is taking place within 48 hours of new moon (dark moon), so it will be very dark when you head out.
Cost: R30.00 per person. This is to cover the costs of soup & bread during the route plotting phase of the exercise and some sherry at the end.
Camping: Camping will be available at a drastically reduced rate for those that wish to sleep over after the exercise.
Booking: Please book both with me (firstname.lastname@example.org
) for planning purposes and with Avril Powrie (email@example.com
) for catering and camping.
082 877 2556 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 082 877 2556 end_of_the_skype_highlighting