Quantcast
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:08 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Young Climbers
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 3:50 pm 
I am a young climber in gauteng. i am 15 but hav got bout 4 years experience

recently i have started climbing a lot more (especially trad) and have noticed that many of the older guys/girls climbing seem to dislike the idea of me climbing. my partner is also 15 so naturally we have a good laugh and joke around quite a lot but dont get out of hand or become unruly..

so why is it that so many of the older climbers seem to dislike us? we dint even speak to them or give them any reason to have anything against us?

?????????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 4:36 pm 
Dear Quirkyclimber,

If you dint speak to any climbers, how do you know they dont like you? What is it that indicates they don’t like you?? Do you smell? I sense you might have a 'different' sense of humour.
Being from the Cape I have found Gauteng people to be extremely friendly. Know this: if they really don’t like you (& need to find out for sure) you're doing something to piss everyone off, stop doing it and everything will fine.

Otherwise...

Yours truly,
Cantankerous

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 5:07 pm 
Don't worry about it dude, they are old and are probably just jealous of your youthful gusto? As long as you respect the other people at the crag and have a good time, it's all good!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 9:41 pm 
Maybe you climb better than they do and theyre just jealous?? I wouldnt let other people put you off something you enjoy, after all are you climbing for your own gratification and fulfilment or just to gain the approval of others? Next time you see anyone from that crowd march right up to them and introduce yourself, breaking the ice always changes social dynamics for the better. Hey if they are still off to you then forget them coz then they are the ones who are lacking true climbing spirit. Keep cranking and dont let the old folks drag you down!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:57 am 
Thanks cantankerous... was truely funny & just true.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:04 pm 
Its probly just the fact that they just jelous of all our hair... :lol:

Post subject: young guns
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:10 am 
Maybe it's the old guy you climb with!

Or your long hair...you should try cutting it!

BO is a serious problem when trying to win friends & influence people. Also if your climbing shoes smell...try some talcum powder.

Seriously though I suspect some people just wonder how safe a 15 year old is to climb with because they assume that you are inexperienced & that young guys can be a bit gung ho! As soon as people learn that you are safety conscious (particuarly in trad & that means wearing a helmet...any helmet) & capable they will treat you as an equal. Maybe some of them are threatened if you can climb 25's @15...it doesn't take much imagination to think you can only improve in the next ten years...unless of course you become too lazy because of long walk ins & become a couch potato! :D

Keep going, there are plenty of friendly climbers out there...someone has given you an early advantage in the game so enjoy it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:30 pm 
I have found that age is irrelevant in determining climbing relationships - which was something that was very cool when I started climbing 20 years ago. I have climbing friends ranging from 20 to 50.

Have you considered the possibility that you are an irritating little prick!

Post subject: Young Guns
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 2:19 pm 
\"Have you considered the possibility that you are an irritating little prick!\"

A distinct possibility!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 2:43 pm 
Maybe you've been bumping into groups of climbers from Cape Town?

\"The friendly city\"!!!

guy, your comment is narf. perhaps you're the dick?

Most things re climbing you can learn from books. If you are cranking hard already then you'll want to hang out with the older good climbers, who, in general tend to be cool people. It would be quite hard to be a grump negative old sour puss and crank 32's.

'quirkyclimber', the hills belong to you too. most olde folk have lost the ability to have fun. You don't even need to make the effort. If someone is a dick to you, then tell them to ufck off, kick them in the balls and throw their gear down the hill.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 3:25 pm 
Generally we young climbers need old guys for their cars... And perhaps they do empart some knowledge and skills of this sport to us... Thanks to all the old guys/girls who have made it possible for us to actually climb..

Post subject: Us young Climbers
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:08 pm 
\"Have you considered the possibility that you are an irritating little prick\"

Thanx for the confidence booster Guy.

But seriously, Oldsmelly (gnome) you should get back to work and yes wearing a Helmet is important, especially if you put first time leaders on a route with more loose rock than you know what to do with.

Yes it is our gorgeous long hair which defines us.

Post subject: I agree
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:11 pm 
\"Generally we young climbers need old guys for their cars... And perhaps they do empart some knowledge and skills of this sport to us... Thanks to all the old guys/girls who have made it possible for us to actually climb..\"

yes couln't have said it better myself!

Post subject: Young guns 2
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:35 pm 
I am pleased you boys have learnt something from your elders, even if it is not manners!

Now what one should be asking is how many young ladies you are making efforts to introduce to climbing! Don't the fairer sex need as many opportunities as you guys...particularly the young ones.

I would hope in future that the \"Old Guys\" that you do climb with will ensure that you are not sent on loose, nasty climbs & that they would remember their responsibility to get you home safe & sound.

In turn I would like to encourage you to not just use older people to get to the crags, even if when you get there you \"can crank harder\".

How about some Timotei for that hair just before you go off to pose in the gym!

Finally possibly others would like to use this forum to discuss useful stuff & not just listen to your whining! Now back to some ACTUAL climbing...

P.S. I like what the other guy said...but DON'T think of Kicking me where it hurts or touching my equipment!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:20 pm 
Dont worry Oldsmelly your equipment is safe as long as you respect our cracks...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:15 am 
I my book: \"Respect is earned\"; just because you have more years under your belt does not make you 'special'. I, too, have friends of varied age and ability but I enjoy there company and don't hang with them because of any other reasons (grades, status, ect). Insulting people on a forum is not the way to earn that respect nor will it maintain any previous respect of others. \"Can't we all just get along\" - Jack Nicholson

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:27 am 
In my book... sorry I'm tired!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:48 am 
Just have to add this,

That Jack Nicohlson quote ended with him being shot in the chest with a territory-staking flag by a bobble eyed alien which could only be killed by listening to Tom Jones.

About as much sense as can be expected around here...have fun kids and fogeys, thats what its all about...[/quote]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:06 am 
nice one MW, I like your style. we should go climbing together. I think you'll find my tartan tights most handsome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:34 pm 
At all times it is ESSENTIAL to maintain your sense of humour, which is something that I've learned to do with age. If I had been even 1% serious with my comment, then I certainly would not have put my name next to it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:22 pm 
You mean people are taking this one seriously?? When half of them are called \"guest\" and the other half \"Karl\" 1 thru 5, and some dude is running around in tartan tights... (hey Tarty - are you a mad scotsman or a retro punk?)

The whole-hearted commitment to the topic seems a bit of a farce...As it should be! The generation gap is an older thing than any of us and the only way out is thru. Climb with whoever doesn't mind your smell, style and sense of humour, but CLIMB ON!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:26 pm 
Oh wait, wrong forum - this is the one where half you lot are called Quirkyclimber (as opposed to Karl).

I'm really way too bored at work!

Post subject: Sense of Humour
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:59 pm 
In no way are we taking this seriously....

Guy the comment was just a joke...

Don't worry one of our best attributes is our sense of humour, in no way do we take your postings to heart

we were jus curious as to others opinions of our dilemma..

:D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:22 am 
Boy oh boy it's like watching 'Parliment Live', a bunch of pre-schoolers. The quote was meant to illustrate your (people on this forum) inability to be civil with eachother and after the previous comments I feel justified :-) Oh, and Guy don't you love retrospective comments? Bla, bla, bla...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:30 pm 
except that your comment wasnt funny guy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:11 pm 
Erm..... actually, I thought it was very funny.

In the eye of the beholder, I guess.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:03 pm 

:) It would only be bad if quirkyclimber(2) [Do you have a split personality disorder?] got offended. Judging by his comments; he doesn't seem the type who would be. This place is so weird. Your long hair? Crazy... :D