Quantcast
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:13 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:45 am 

Want to put abseiling chains on top of the crag to facilitate easier access for new climbers. Who do I speak to and what is the procedure?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:36 am 

Thanks for asking. We have had a few epics in the past when non climbers were (quite justifiably) horrified by loud steel anchors in the middle of their picnic spot... these anchors had to be removed (more than once too!).

Generally we try to hide descent anchors or place them over edge. This sentiment has be declared official policy in the Proposed Kranzkloof Climbing Management Plan. Both of these constraints however usually result in a less than perfect placement from a convenience point of view - especially for beginners. If you look around you can usually find a spot that meets all the criteria though.

So..there is no official person to ask, just guys like me who have encountered problems in the past.

Which crag are you thinking about? I am sure I can help you out (drill,steel, cappuccino etc)

Roger

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:38 am 

Hi

Just a thought: try and place the anchors well way from existing routes so that when people are abseiling in they don't drop rocks, ropes or gear on climbers below; or abseil over climbers. There are a couple of crags here in the Cape where there have been a couple of close calls because of inconsiderate people abseiling in.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:22 pm 

nic, just to be safe run it past Johan (Kranzkloof head-man) he is realy cool and may even give you a hand. call/sms me if you want his details.

But you can't go wrong following Rogers previous advice, he is the bolting legend of Kloof. Take him up on his offer.