It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:36 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Introductions
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:31 pm 

Hi all,

Seeing as I'm new here I thought I'd introduce myself and hopefully meet some of you in the process! So here goes! My name is Andrew Pottow, I'm a new climber who started climbing with the UKZN Pietermaritzburg mountain club at our wall and bouldering room and I've since started climbing at the local wall, got a standing invite to climb outdoors with Roger Nattrass which I hope to take up as soon as he's back in town. I come from a history of crazy acts doing various "extreme sports" which have more or less left me slightly less intelligent and more scarred than I would like to be. Due to this I had to quit Downhill racing and take up something else, less likely to get another concussion or broken bone from as I cant afford to be out from another 3 weeks as an engineering student! Anyways, back to the climbing, I decided to join this forum so I can meet new people, grow the sport and hopefully, just maybe, grow as a climber. So if anyone is around PMB or Durban(next year I move to Durbs)and needs a belay or climbing/training buddy, or needs help with any work in regarding climbing and developing it as a sport, give me a shout! I don't know what the policy on this is on this forum, so mod it if it doesn't follow the regulations but give me a shout on 0827793413 or send me a PM. Before I sign off, I have a few questions.

According to some I have the perfect physique for climbing, but I'm not so sure. I've frustrated myself with a lack of growth in ability and, after reading many accounts of people chasing grades and eventually blowing out, I have begun to wonder if I have pushed myself for those grades(I don't know much about them except that some or my regular routes are obviously harder than others)? How fast do people usually progress? If it helps any, I've been climbing about 4 months and redpointed a 21 or so indoor last week. The reason I ask is that I don't quite know what I should expect from myself and don't want to crash out because I come up way short of reaching my goal of climbing a 25 in the first six months(my original goal).

Hangboards. I have identified that my biggest weakness is most probably my finger strength(aside from technique, that is!). I was looking at making a wooden, simple hangboard and was wondering how much they help finger strength?

Cheers!
P.S. I don't have the privileges to post in or even view the beginners forum, thats why I'm posting here.

Post subject: Re: Introductions
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:59 am 

Hi Andrew,
You do in fact have privileges to post in the ‘Beginners’ forum. All you need to do is select it when you go into the Main page of the Forum.
See: http://www.climb.co.za/forum/
Click on the category you want and then click ‘New Topic’ to post.

p.s. I moved your post into the Beginners section for you.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:37 pm 

Hi, my name is willie willeklong. My main purpose for joining this group is to share my exposure addiction, so we can help each other on the road to recovery.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:54 am 

hi jamie here

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:03 am 

Showzer dude- 25 is a tall order for a beginner to achieve in 6 months!
Sounds like you've started off quite passionate about the sport, but you must remember not to trade your passion for glory. This sport is about having fun with your mates, learning and understanding the ropes slowly so that you remember what to do without failing rule #1 "don't f*ck it up" as well as achieving on a personal level.
The climbing gym at Old Mutual Sports Hall, UKZN Gate 9 Francois rd, should open again on Tuesday. We train from 17h30 and sell cheap beer at our rad pub afterwards (or before depending on how your day has been!) Pull in and meet a few people- we're considerably larger (and more awesome) than the PMB club :afro:

Otherwise check you at the crag.

Trent

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:12 am 

Thanks for the invite Trent. I'll see you there most likely at the end of the month, I'll be moving into my digs around the 25th or so...

Also, thanks for the insight! I'm taking everything I can get. I'll bear that all in mind! I've got alot of passion for the sport but at the same time, I do it for the social aspect mostly. Although I've always been one to push myself to the limit in everything I do, I don't usually do it for the personal glory. For instance, I take great pleasure in coaching my girlfriend up a wall she never thought she could do. I'm really looking forward to meeting up with you Durban UKZN guys and seeing what I can learn.

Cheers
Andrew