Quantcast
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:25 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Resoling Rock Shoes
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:01 am 
Hi guys
would appreciate if anyone could let me know if there are any places in gauteng or eastern SA where a pair of rock shoes can be resoled.

Post subject: Resoles
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:34 pm 
Try Danny Pinkas. His website is http://www.resoles.za.net and his contact details are on the site. They operate out of Jhb.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:32 pm 
Thanks, Bron- much appreicated. To make things easier, you can contact me on 084 780 3114 or (011) 624 3851.
Happy climbing!
Danny

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:17 pm 

I resoled my rock shoes and now they have better soles on them than they had when I bought them from the shop new. The top of the shoes are still new but the bottom wore off so I had them resoles and they came back to me with a very thick nice new sole. My shoes are four years old.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:02 pm 

Danny is the king of resoles. He does an awesome job & amazingly quick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:47 pm 

Is there anyone else that can resole shoes. Danny doesn't wanna do it anymore :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:49 am 

Hi

I'm looking to get my shoes resoled. I have not heard good things about Rocksole and Danny doesn't do it anymore. CityRock reffered me to Durasole, has anyone used them before? Impressions?

Thanks
Nic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:17 am 

Get hold of Hayden on 072 2324288 . Danny said there would be no difference in quality - he bought Rockfrog from the King of resoles .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:14 pm 

I had a pair of Boreal shoes resoled at Durasole and they did a good job on my pair of shoes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:23 am 

This is treason! Danny in the King of resoles.

Post subject: Re: Resoling Rock Shoes
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:59 am 

Hey All.
Rockfrog has re-opened under new management. Danny has trained us and we are open for business! We have been open since april and have had more than 40 happy customers so far! We plan to uphold the tradition of superb quality, good prices and fast service that danny started. Bring us your shoes!

Contact
Hayden Wilson 072 232 4288
Sheena O'Connell 074 142 9024
E-mail rockfrog.resoles@gmail.com

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:16 pm 

I recently sent a pair of miura's to the Rubber room in Bishop, CA.

$32.5 for the job, $15 for surface return mail plus initial postal cost.

A total of about R450.

The shoes cannot be told apart from a new pair by looking at the sole, the job is simply that good. They are not stretched or altered in any way. So essentially what i have is a brand new pair of shoes which are ready to redpoint, since the shoe is already molded to my feet! Very good value i think since a new pair costs about R1500.

The shipping costs a bit more if you have them airmail return, and the trick for a perfect resole is to have it done before you wear into the rand.

P.s i had stealthC4 used instead of the original vibram, which in my opinion is far stickier... :afro:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:44 pm 

I prefer to support South African business since I live in South Africa. When I lived in England I supported my local businesses there.

I am an old school customer, I like to speak to a sales person face to face. Why must I bother with postage when I can just go down to Rockfrog or Durasole and have my shoes resoled.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:49 pm 

oh please drifter.
:pukel: :puker:

http://www.rubberroomresoles.com/index.htm

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:55 pm 

point taken drifter, but i need to post in any case since there are no resolers i know of in kzn.
I have used rockfrog before which was a bit cheaper and quicker, but i thought id try a different company too.
I have absolutely no regret doing so.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:06 pm 

Hey Thanks for sticking up for the local guys drifter!

We are in the process of trying to bring our standards up to international levels so any Hints/Advice as to how we can improve would be fantastic!

With regards to rubber types stealth is generally stickier than vibram. However it tends to wear faster as a result so a climber needs to balance priorities.

Stealth has also recently updated their rubber types. there is stealth C4 which is the type that everyone knows and loves but they have recently released a type called onyx that is extremely sticky! Any feedback on how this rubber performs would be fantastic as we know very little about it and would love to import some!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:02 am 

If you are looking for a good, reliable resole, Hayden and Sheena are the way to go. It's at least as good as my work was, and I know they are looking at ways of improving. To survive in such a small market they have to ensure that people are happy with their work.
I think it's crazy to send your shoes to the US. Chances of them getting lost in the postal system are pretty high - ask amazon.com. I know this will sound absurd to many, but I found the local speed services highly reliable. Mountain Mail Order use them, and I used them for over 500 pairs of shoes - that's 1000 postings without a single pair getting lost.
At the moment there is no way locals can compete with the Rubberroom. Rowan from Dbn came the closest to those standards, but it was still not the same. We simply do not have the volumes to justify expenditure on such expensive machinery. On the other hand, what you get for two thirds of the price is a very good job instead of a mind-blowing one. Only 2 girls and 2 guys who made it to the finals of the Road Trip in KZN never used Rock Frog's services. Jack of All Trades, as well as a couple of other grade 30s have been climbed in Rock Frog Resoles - surely that is good enough?!
As far as the rubber types are concerned, people have different opinions. I used to be a great Stealth fan, and still am, but some guys claims it wears out too quickly on granite. They found Vibram to last much longer. To be honest, when grinding shoes, I used to find Saltic rubber to be the stickiest and Buffo the least sticky. I once experimented by resoling 1 shoe with Stealth and the other with Vibram. After 3 months I forgot which one was which.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:20 pm 

good, honest response there danny. i suppose after a few climbs you'd not see the diffs anyways. it's not like panel beating a car after all.
so how much does a resole cost from rockfrog? around R300 or so?

I wish the new owners the best of luck.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:53 pm 

Hayden and Sheena.....you gonna update the details on http://www.resoles.za.net/ 'cause they still show Dan's details.

za_bullet

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:59 pm 

yep! we are in the process of doing just that.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:11 pm 

The Rock Frog website is now http://www.rockfrogresoles.vndv.com