Quantcast
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:48 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Mugging at Chosspile
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:16 am 

The following was posted on the Climb ZA Facebook Page (on the 29th of December).

"We got Mugged at Harties Chosipile today
3 guys tied us up and took all we had with bank cards and atm pin
Went home bear foot
These chaps are dangerous and have sharp weapons. So do not go in smaller groups (less than 5)
...happy climbing
"

Post subject: Re: Mugging at Chosspile
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:45 pm 

Really sad to read this. It was only a matter of time I guess. Between the street vendors, and the guys who lurk at the parking below the wall, it was inevitable that someone would cotton on to the fact that there's a flow of easy targets. Worst thing is once this kind of thing starts, it's really difficult to curb it as you can bet they've informed their mates too. I always had a sketchy feeling about Choss, and we were nearly mugged on the way down some years back.

Going in large groups will help. Also, dont take anything of value with you either. Best thing is to get an old cheap cellphone for emergency calls, leave the wallets and bank cards at home too. Another thing one can do is to park the cars outside the Milky lane, then walk along the road till just before the tunnel, where there's a path shooting up the hill. This way one can lock valuables in the car boot.

This is really tiresome though, and it really stuffs up the outdoor experience to have to look over your shoulder all the time. Are there any cops who climb? I'd be really interested to hear what they suggest. I'd think if you are capable, to take a side arm into the hills. Maybe it's time to start taking out a few of these cretins for a change.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:04 pm 

Ok ive just ticked off another climbing venue from my short list.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:24 pm 

Truly sad were will this end does any one have an idea as to how the problem can be solved? Would not want to lose the choss. :evil:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:32 pm 

This is very shocking to hear!! We (only 2 of us) were there on the 29th as well! Any detail on excatly where the mugging took place? We saw no one the whole day.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:10 am 

Yes that is very sad. please inform us where the muggings took place, where you parked etc. as much details as possible. We (also 2 of us) were at the choss on thursday (30th). we parked at the picknick spot. there were some workers cleaning up the picknick spot which was somewhat unsettling as we were the only ones there. I knew they would not follow us, but was concerned for the car. I must say that i was somewhat relieved on getting back to the car, with no incident. i have always parked at the picknick spot and have found it very safe.

Cheers

Jeromy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:28 am 

Hi All here are some details

We went there on 29 Des 11h00
We stopped in the street because the boom was closed.
As we walked through the picnic area admiring the lovely day, 3 guys aged 27ish came running out of the bushes from the river side. We tried to wrestle with them until they pulled out their knives. Game over.
They took us into the bushes on the mountain side and tied us up threatening to kill us if we did not give them R2000
They made us ly face down on the ground and striped us of all valuables; phones, cash, hard ware, Leatherman’s, 3 pairs of shoes and 13 other things
They handed our wallets back and demanded 2 bank cards with pin so they can go draw some money at the spar up the road.
Then they took us higher up and tied us face down by the channel to a tree. 2 of them waited there with us and the other one ran to the ATM.
When he returned they split the R6000 and made off with my stuffed rope bag.
the ordeal took about 2 hours
Maar dit was nie lekker nie
Ferdi Lourens

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:50 am 

Jis ou maat, ek is baie jammer om dit te hoor. Dit nadat ek nogal gedink het die picknick spot is baie veilig. Dit sal help as julle vir professionele hulp gaan. so iets is maar baie traumaties en waai nie sommer oor in 'n paar dae nie. A traumatic event such as this can have dire consequences. And again i am sorry to hear about this.

Regards

Jeromy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:57 am 

Agreed, you guys should seek some counselling. That story sends chills up my spine.

By paying to park at the campsite/picnic spot, one would assume they'd have security in place?
If not, what are you paying for?

I recommend the access route in my earlier post.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:34 am 

:evil: Yay; it's so awesome that I now have to walk in to the crags with both eyes peeled, clutching a knife in one pocket and pepper spray in the other, all while suspecting everyone of being malicious muggers :puker: . It really bugs me that most natural areas have become playgrounds for criminals.

Regarding the payment at Chosspile; I definitely agree that we shouldn't be paying to get in if there is little benefit other than becoming light on one's feet and ready for a sprint. Surely there should be some kind of security in place? Is the owner even aware of the criminal activities that happen fairly regularly at Chosspile?

Not impressed.
Matt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:27 pm 

Happened again today, read the topic I posted above this one...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:29 am 

Hey Guys. See the topic Franco started.
Neil Mostert organised a meeting on Feb 2 at th JHB MCSA clubhouse. Everyone is welcome. See the latest topic for the details

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:30 am 

Hey Guys. See the topic Franco started.
Neil Mostert organised a meeting on Feb 2 at th JHB MCSA clubhouse. Everyone is welcome. See the latest topic for the details

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:01 pm 

Chosspile Update.

Great news form the Chosspile landowners:
“The Brits police have set an ambush and the report from the police is that they have made a very important breakthrough by arresting one of the gang of three at the picnic site over the past 24 hours. We now require the proactive assistance of the climbing fraternity to report the incidents to the Brits police and to help proactively identify the suspect.

Please could you get the climbers involved to phone Warrant Officer Frauendorf on 082 899 2504 to report their incidents and to assist the police with further investigations.”

Please note that those who have been involved must very urgently contact him otherwise it may work out that this suspect may be released based on not enough evidence. Thus for the sake of keeping Choss and on behalf of all us climbers - phone him NOW. We are all behind you, help them put that guy behind bars!
Mr Bezuidenhoudt would like to point out a few more things:
“For noting:

- the Chospile is on private land
- Rissik Esates has never formally promoted, invited or sanctioned climbers to use this facility
- Climbers have installed climbing equipment at their own risk
- Some climbers may pay to park in our picnic site when our attendant is there but many park outside and simply walk in without paying
- I have noted the discourse on numerous climbing blogs and have seen a number of comments blaming Rissik Estates for lack of security or encouraging climbers to park outside and not to pay the entrance charge.
- we have security disclaimers at the entrance to the campsite
- we run a very marginal farm and can assure you that the campsite is not a very lucrative endeavour and is certainly not a priority area for us - we probably only keep it open for historical/ sentimental reasons.
- crime is unfortunately a huge problem throughout the Crocodile Valley and not isolated to the mountain side of our farm (need I say more...)

This being said, we understand that we are extremely fortunate to be owners and custodians of an incredibly beautiful piece of land that is a national asset and could be shared with others.
- we understand that the climbing community is not necessarily a homogenous community that speaks with one voice –
- we are aware of the meeting scheduled next week to discuss the future of the Chospile. We shall attend.

Our request:

- we would like to request that the climbing fraternity URGENTLY apply their minds to possible solutions that attempt to address the points raised above
Peter Bezuidenhoudt
On behalf of the owners of Rissik Estates”

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:48 am 

This is great news!! Would the climbers involved please also keep us updated? I'd love to hear that there was a positive ID and hopefully as a result the rest get caught too.

If you guys need a lift to the police station or anything give me a shout.

Maybe it's just me but getting such positive response from the police seems to be a stroke of good luck and an opportunity to turn this situation around which we can't let pass by.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:58 pm 

What we may need is somebody to give 2 cops a lift from near Brits to the meeting next Wed 2 Feb. They keen to come but need transport. Is there anybody coming from Harties direction and can help? Give me a ring on 083 669 3028, thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:19 pm 

A reminder to attend the meeting this Wed. I think it is going to be a woppa of a meeting. Tuns of people say they are going to be there, and the discussion will be super interesting . These issues are very close to all our hearts and I think if we put our recourses and minds together we will be able to move forward - keep our crags, gain the ones we have lost, and get new ones.