It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:38 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:40 pm 

Hey,

Three of my mates were held up at knife point for 3 hours today at Chosspile en route to the crag from the parking. This happened in broad daylight after they decided to go for a quick climb.

They were confronted by six guys armed with knifes who then proceeded to tie them up using their own slings. I still need to find out what the exact details are then I'll post them but they made of with their cameras, watches, cellphones and money. They were violent and made death threats so they were not only there to make a quick buck.

I just thought that I'd let the climbing community know as it seems to me that it is becoming a rather large problem at crags.What scares me the most is that I took a group of climbers there on Sunday which included a few girls and I shudder to think what might have happened should the same have happened to us. :x

Please be safe at the climbing spots guys...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:15 pm 

Sorry to hear about your mates. Looks like this is a recurring pattern perpetuated by the same people. A few months ago a similar incident happened to 2 foreign climbers in exactly the same place and manner as you, and a previous post, have described. I never met the couple myself, but they were in Boven and told their story to a some people here. Not sure why they didn't post anything, but the woman was so traumatised she had to go home for a few weeks before returning to join her partner in SA. Chosspile seems like a very dangerous place to visit at the moment.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:44 am 

9mm :pirat:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:02 am 

Now Im left wondering where to climb.... :( :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:51 am 

Guys, muggers are like the proverbial school bully. They prey on the perceived weak but in reality they are weak and actually sh!t scared.
If you exude a smidgen of secure dominance, an inkling that you may actually be a threat to them, they will not attack you.
If you retaliate quickly and forcibly they won't be expecting it and will skrik. They are expecting (hoping) that you will submit.
Same goes for groups of attackers. They are fed by the dominant guy in their group but are a hairs breadth away from panic. If you're attacked by more than one assailant, and you retaliate against the most dominant of the assailants, the others will in all likelihood cr@p themselves and flee.

Stand your ground and win back your turf. You're tough hardened outdoor people with muscles harder than the rocks you climb for faarksake

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:14 pm 

a knife goes through those hard rock muscles. just make sure your knife is bigger than theirs. maybe a sword or spear of some sort.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:22 pm 

I hear you Spike... but if things do go wrong and the muggers get the upper hand things could go from bad to worse.

If you are going to retaliate make sure you win the good fight.
Have a plan of action with you friends. It won't help if for example: you jump the mugger and your friends run in the other direction!
Also, be wary of weapons! Sometimes unseen, they can come out during the 2nd part of the fight :evil:

Then if the muggers are not 100% put off they could possibly come back with more backup, bigger swords/firearms, which will up the consequences of the incident!

Note: From what I often hear, the Police, usually recommend not fighting back in these types of situations.
For disclaimer reasons, I'm going to recommend people take that advice.

Stay safe out there!!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:28 pm 

now where's that braveheart speech???

it should not be too hard to set a trap for these muggers..... dress shorti in a leopard skin leotard and add lots of bling and fake jewelry. pierre can be his finacee in a light blue safari suit; big gold chain and rolex-a-la-frying pan. hide the team in the bushes armed to the teeth with pepper spary, tazers; sjamboks and knobkieries. entice said sharks out into the open and commence with beatings swiftly and severely. take pictures of pierre & shorti for futher extortionary purposes :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:35 pm 

thats k$k funny :lol: And funniest thing is it will actually work. I'll gain much pleasure from hearing those skolliekneecaps crack under the force of knopkieries and bobbejaan spanners.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:24 pm 

Hi

I'm a crime reporter for Beeld. Can any of you maybe supply me with contact numbers for the people who were robbed?

Thanx

Jacques Steenkamp
078 219 5937
jsteenkamp@media24.com

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:19 pm 

Jacque, ill sms you now.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:44 pm 

I'm one of the three climbers attacked
They ambushed us from behind, and we hardly had time to respond, weapons would not have been a good idea as its the first thing they look for and a failed fightback will end even worse.
They where obviously well organized, one guy was clearly the leader and the others were mearly thugs.
It was very clear that they have done it a couple of times and knew what they where doing.
We are trying to get surveilance from the ATMs where they withdrew our money and we'll send the picture around.
Also if you see anyone walking around in new mad rock climbing shoes or La Sportiva Typhoon hiking boots near Harties, that doesn't seem like he can afford it, please drive him over

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:21 pm 

I'm sorry to hear about this Dennis. Out of curiosity, did they take your climbing gear too?

DennisW wrote:
please drive him over

With pleasure. I think I have an obsessive compulsive streak, I may have to do it repeatedly.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:47 pm 

No they left most of my gear, just took some slings and catabiner that where in my bag, which they took. They also took my climbing shoes

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:20 pm 

DennisW wrote:
weapons would not have been a good idea as its the first thing they look for and a failed fightback will end even worse.

jip, if you carry a weapon you better be prepared & trained to use it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:48 pm 

Problem is, if those guys are high on tik they won't think twice about shooting, or any other consequences. No use in pulling out a knife when you're in a gun fight.

Those buggers must be caught (or lured according to mok's cunning plan) and their toenails must be pulled out slowly while Celine Dion is singing in the background.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:50 pm 

STOP PARKING AT THE CAMPSITE PEOPLE!!!

If the so called 'land owner/lessee' isn't prepared to provide security to the area, then WTF should people pay to park there and be mugged??

Park at the milky lane, walk along the road, just before the tunnel there is a path heading up the hill on your right. Go up there, it's steep. Keep walking along the top and you'll end up at the top crags. Avoid the bottom crags.

The problem now is that these scums have discovered new victims. Unless the kingpin/s get stamped out, it will recur. Anyone who climbed back in the day will remember that awesome crag out near Cullinan (my memory is rusty and I cant NB the name now). Climbed there for years, and there were some epic routes there. One day, the muggings started, and they NEVER stopped. Those bolts have long since rusted away and the hangers likely taken down by the climbers at some point.

Maybe it's time to start fighting back? Who knows. I certainly wouldnt take my girlfriend out to Chosspile. I'm not prepared to get shot or stabbed just so I can have a little climb. I'm not keen to take my gun out there and walk around in some defcon state of mind when I'm trying to relax. It's really really sad. People end up building walls in their garages and heading off to Thailand to climb. Makes my blood boil though. We have so much natural beauty in SA and it's stuffed up by a few cretins.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:40 pm 

I wouldn't bother approaching from the Dam Wall side either. Last time my girlfriend and I used this approach some guys the bottom of the start to the scramble were all too curious as to what we were doing , and one even asked if we were also mountain climbers. We were a little alarmed and haven't been back since. The path from the car park is rather easy to follow and there are many places for the muggers to hide so I would just avoid going there for now.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:15 pm 

Dear All Climbers

In the last few weeks there have been a number of serious crime incidents at the parking area of Chosspile sport climbing area.
This is one of our main sport climbing arrears near JHB/PTA and as there has been a big investment in the bolting of this crag, we would very much like to keep the venue safe and available to climbing. In order to achieve this we have arranged a meeting at the MCSA JHB Section clubhouse (Corner Scott and Stirling street, Waverley) on Wed 2 Feb at 20:00 for 20:30. The aim of the meeting is to pool resources and together find a solution to the growing crime problem that is currently the single biggest threat to sport climbing in Gauteng. We contacted the land owners and Mr Bill Murray will be at the meeting on their behalf. This is an open meeting and all are welcome. If you feel that you would like to be able to continue climbing at Choss, it is essential for you to be there.

Neil Margetts
SA Climbing Adademy
www.saclimbingacademy.co.za
083 669 3028

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:18 am 

Thanks for the effort, Neil.
Is the Hartebeespoort police going to be at the meeting? It might be a good idea to have them there.
I'd be happy to give an inspector or someone a lift to Joburg

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:34 am 

Chosspile is in Brits territory, Hartebeespoort police won't help you if you get mugged there

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:32 am 

I am away and will not be able to make the meeting but i would like to help if there is any thing that need to be done. Please Shout and i will see what i can do

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:46 am 

i've never dealt with these guys, but they have a fearsome reputation. maybe they can cook something up?

http://www.mapogoafrica.co.za/

"Criminal cases are investigated and dealt with by our agents the real African way. People who are found in possession of our customer's goods do not have the luxury of long-lasting court cases and being found innocent on a technical point. They will immediately be dealt with in a traditional way to an extent that they will become exemplary citizens serving an integral part in our community. The strength of the shield lies in the community supporting and being on the look-out for suspected criminal activities."

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:24 pm 

spike,

your advice is reckless. Assume they had fought back. They get overpowered anyway because they're not in the little bully box you've put them.

You now have climbers tied up and at the mercy of knife wielding thugs with a score to settle. Yeah, that's going to end well.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:58 pm 

Damn, Celine Dion, probably won't even have to pull out their toe nails......

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:43 am 

home page report on beeld this morning - and a public outcry. it's important not to get caught up in the negativity & blame - it will ultimately only end in despair. big lot that helps! let's find solutions :thumleft:

http://www.beeld.com/Suid-Afrika/Nuus/S ... p-20110117

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:24 am 

mokganjetsi wrote:
now where's that braveheart speech???

it should not be too hard to set a trap for these muggers..... dress shorti in a leopard skin leotard and add lots of bling and fake jewelry. pierre can be his finacee in a light blue safari suit; big gold chain and rolex-a-la-frying pan. hide the team in the bushes armed to the teeth with pepper spary, tazers; sjamboks and knobkieries. entice said sharks out into the open and commence with beatings swiftly and severely. take pictures of pierre & shorti for futher extortionary purposes :lol:

Im keen!, I think we could probably do something to this effect?? surely we (as the climbers of south africa) have enough combined brain power to overcome 3 chops who prowl the bush??

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:29 am 

megannon wrote:
They were confronted by six guys armed with knifes

BrendonSalzer wrote:
Im keen!, I think we could probably do something to this effect?? surely we (as the climbers of south africa) have enough combined brain power to overcome 3 chops who prowl the bush??

So much for all that brain power Brendon... :drunken:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:52 am 

I believe Bronkies has been without crime incident to date. The worst I'm aware of is the guys scamming entrance fees by collecting and not having the sign in register handy for later verification by the owners, but even that seems to have been sorted out.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:56 am 

emile wrote:
megannon wrote:
They were confronted by six guys armed with knifes

BrendonSalzer wrote:

So much for all that brain power Brendon... :drunken:

My bad, been watching this since the first day it got posted... thought it was 3. whoops

thats why I said "combined"