It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:40 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:01 am 

Hey, KZNers. Anyone interested in showing a couple of low level (16 - 18) climbers the KZN sport crags? We stopped in Ballito en route to Kruger (waiting for better weather forecasts) and are considering killing a day few days. If we do so, we might be able to climb with my buddy in Pietermaritzburg on Sunday, so it'd be really cool to get out somewhere else on Saturday, but we don't have rope or draws and my dad doesn't have any gear. He could use my stuff if we have another harness to belay with. Sounds like Shongweni or Howick Falls are our best bet from Ballito. 078 720 5855

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:36 pm 

hey

howick falls mainly have multi-pitches, that are hard if everyone doesnt have some gear.i.e harness and shoes. just makes stuff complicated...

shongweni is really good for grades 16-18...but if you do decide to go there, just becareful as there have been security issues there. you can hire a guard, from what i can remember its R15 per person on the weekend and R15 per hour on weekdays. leave cell phones, wallet, etc in the car and hidden. dont take valuables down and if you do keep them well hidden. it may sound as if its a very danerous area but its probably safe enough to go there

otherwise your next best bet for easy routes in Rumdoodle which is in the kloof gorge got like 6 or so easy routes from 11-19...

good luck hope you can work something out

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:53 pm 

Cool, thanks for the advice, schmeh. Shongweni it would be, I guess. Yeah, I was reading a bit about the security issues there (shouldn't even go to the Cave areas, I hear), but didn't know it was that bad. Still, if somebody offers, I won't hesitate. ;)