Quantcast
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:10 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Boven
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:49 am 
Hi,
anyone with detailed direcshuns from Jhb to Boven but missing the last toll gate ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:12 pm 
There is a way. I went that way once. But the next time I tryed I got lost and almost ended up in Swaziland.

From what I remember you turn off at the town before boven. and end up on the gravel road that goes past the halusanagetic wall.
Prehaps someone else remembers it better. :?:

Post subject: Farrefontein route
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:24 pm 
There are 2 ways of missing the Machadodorp toll gate. One you turn right off the highway, going to/through (?) Machadodorp. the other way, which is the way I know, you turn left off the highway shortly before the toll gate. You can actually see the toll gate from where you turn. You take the road off to the left, which is sign posted as going to Dullstroom. It becomes a dirt road quite quickly. You drive along this dirt road for quite a while, until you get to a cross road intersection. It is quite definitely a well established (dirt) road, don't be tempted to turn right before you reach it. I think there is a sign post to Farrefontein here.
You drive along the Farrefontein road for a number of kms. This road will eventually bend towards the highway again. You just stay on this road until you reach the highway. Then you turn left and drive towards Boven. You come out just past the toll gate. The dirt road is approximately 13km long. You only miss out about 5km of highway but it's worth it - those toll fees are ridiculous.
When you return from Boven, the landmark to look for to tell you where you turn off the highway onto the Farrefontein road is the traffic control centre. Turn right here and then travel straight along the dirt road.

I don't know the other way (through Machadodorp) but I think the Farrefontein road is probably a better one for cars, especially if it has been raining. (If you have a bakkie I don't think it makes much difference which road you take.) Maybe someone who has travelled both routes would have a better idea?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:33 pm 

There are two ways you can miss the toll.

1) When you get to Machadadorp take the second road (after the big dip with the 80km/h spped limit) right into the town. The road heads downhill initially and then comes to a T-junction (I think there is a First National ATM on your right). Turn left at the T and keep on driving for probably about 10km and take the first tarred road left. Continue on this road for about 2km and turn left onto a dirt road, there's a sign for Boven! Continue on this road to a T and turn left. You're now on the road the runs above Wonderland. The condition of the dirt road varies but after all the rain it may be 'tricky'

2) instead of turning right into Machadadorp (as above) turn right, straight onto a dirt road and drive for about 10km to a 4 way intersection. Handbrake-turn right here and follow this road to its end. It spits you out just below the toll. Then just follow the normal road in Boven. The condition of this road can also be really bad at times.

Chrz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:41 pm 

Skipping the toll gate between witbank and middelburg is not a problem, but I would advise against skipping the tollgate at Machadodorp.

I did it once, and never again. The road is *extremely* bad and not worth the damage to your car.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 4:40 pm 
Huh? You can skip the Middelburg toll?
How do you do that and how long does it add to the journey?