Quantcast
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:42 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Hiking Packs
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:45 pm 

Hi guys,

So i recently realised im quite short of space in my backpack. been looking around and i've found some hiking packs. I've found a Campmor and a K-Way (both 40L i believe) that look perfect, they're both aound the same price range (around R500) but im wondering which is better brand/quality wise.

any input would be helpful, thanks!

Post subject: Re: Hiking Packs
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:05 pm 

Hi David

Don't mean to hi-jack your thread but am hoping people might be able to help both of us while you're at it.
I would like to know what people think is the best pack for a day of sportclimbing ?
Enough space to take a 60m rope, 15 draws, harness, shoes, warm top, lunch box and water bottles.
I have the 35l Camelbak ''peakbagger'' and its waaaay to small unless partner carries the rope.
I then have a 65 litre Deuter which is waaaaaay to big for my sportclimbing pack but is perfect for all my trad stuff.
The BD Duffel is cool, but lacks organisation inside and everything is a shambles even if you try to pack it neatly.
Help please
thanks

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:38 pm 

@Paul, I've had the BD Boa (the old one, without the nice suspension) and also found it great for sport cragging but too small for anything else.

Here is my answer: BD 50 caliber
http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en-gb/shop/mountain/packs/50-caliber-pack/ I've had this bag a year or two and it is awesome. For sport: Fits a 70m single rope, 2 pairs of shoes, harness, lunch, camelback 3l bladder, first aid kit and hardshell (in the top pocket), set of 16 draws, phone, car keys, helmet, flip flops, with space to spare.

For trad, usually substitute 70m single for 2 x 60m halves, remove some draws, add trad rack.

It doesn't have too many bells and whistles (which I like) - no external pockets except the floating lid which has a large pocket on the outside and a smaller pocket on the inside. Suspension system is pretty damn good, with very comfortable carrying of a full trad load with 3l water from shoulder straps that actually look to be a bit thin to be comfy but they are. Hip belt fits me like a charm and carries weight better than cheaper bags of similar size I've tried out.

The bottom is shaped like a haulbag so this guy stands up on its own. Outside compression straps I've used to add a sleeping mat and sleeping bag, so you can def do a trad weekend (incl food) with this bag, if you're prepared to have some stuff hanging on the outside.

Also has a yellow strap across the top if you end up being pressed for space in side the bag (only really if its a multiday trad weekend) so you can hang one rope across the top and cinch it down. Oh it's a top loader so organisation on the inside is still an issue if organisation is an issue for you.

Not the cheapest bag around, but if you get it on sale you'll be smiling like this :)

@David, sorry, I haven't had any experience with KWAY or Campmor packs, so can't really compare.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:26 pm 

Hi Guys,

I'm busy breaking in a First Ascent Jupiter 65L + 10L.

Don't do anything until you've seen this bag in person!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:47 pm 

Hi

I have a Black Diamond Jackal 42L pack. It is simply the best pack I have ever owned. The suspension system is great, the straps are comfy, there is very little excess stuff on the outside to get snagged in bushes. It takes a full day or two's trad gear and I have managed a 7 day stint in the 'Berg with it, no problem.

They unfortunately no longer make it, so when mine finally comes to a grinding halt I shall replace it with either the BD Epic or the BD Mission or the BD .50 Cal. Any decent outdoor shop will stock these or be able to order them, otherwise buy through an online retailer like Mountain Mail Order.

They are worth every penny, however if you are set on the two you have mentioned, of the two, take the Kway (never thought I would say that!). I'm hoping that their aftersales service will be better than for the other one. Not that Cape Union's aftersale service is anything to get excited about.

Have fun shopping!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:07 pm 

Back Packer Thar...meets every spesification. The perfect bag.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:40 pm 

Yeah! Can't go wrong with a Back Packer... Good stuff!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:20 am 

Howdy guys

Thanks a mill for the help.
Justin, thanks re the 1st Ascent but my Deuter is also a 65l and am looking for something smaller.
It's now a toss up between the Caliber or the Mission, both 50litre, superb packs.
Now the fun starts where after going backwards& forwards between the two more than a 100 times, the guys at BD could hire me as a consultant for their brand.
My kop is now vrot from the research.
thanks gents :thumleft:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:55 am 

Have a look at this one: http://www.mountainhardwear.com/Diretti ... ?cgid=root

I don't know who (if anyone) can get it for you, but I can tell you they work really well. I have the South Col and Mok has the Direttissima, so I've seen and used it quite a bit. The South Col is great, but it is also huge. :wink: The Direttissima looks more like what you guys are looking for. Chalk also has had one for quite some time, maybe he can tell you what he thinks.

Only two problems, they are expensive and the white bit is rather perplexing. Too me, the extra buck was made up for with extra bang. The white bit doesn't bother me really, as I don't give a hoot about keeping it clean :pig:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:09 am 

ja, what you pay is what you get....
my 2c: i had a k-way alpine 55l pack; nice & functional - could carry a full sport / shared trad pack + food & drink & extras. comfortable enough but the material was a bit suspect for real mountain punishment. then it was stolen.
luckily i had a MHW diretessima in reserve (bought it at a warehouse sale for R680 mwhaahaha :mrgreen: ). i'm sooooo glad i did not on-sell. i can't imagine a better pack. it's amazing. carries like a dream; more space than you'd expect from a mid-pack; super high quality construction; true mountain functionality and the pockets where you need them; mountain cred thrown in :thumleft: won't swap it for 5 k-ways thank you. i'm sure the BD's are at the same level - just vouching for the fact that (all) MHW products gives bang for the extra bucks.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:30 am 

It's on sale
http://www.backcountry.com/mountain-hardwear-direttissima-backpack-2750-3500cu-in

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:46 am 

The Bees Knees: http://arcteryx.com/Product.aspx?EN/Mens/Packs/Miura-50

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:15 pm 

Arcteryx gear is awesome, no questions - But you will pay for it!

Paul, First Ascent also have a 40L bag see the Mercury 35L + 5L

These bags are designed by the same guy who used to design bags for Backpacker :thumleft:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:03 am 

Thread HijacK!

That 35+5 from first ascent looks pretty awesome! maybe i should save up a bit longer :)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:16 pm 

I'm quite happy with my osprey pack.

http://www.ospreypacks.com

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:30 am 

Hey again,

Has anybody got/used a K-Way Venture 50 before? It looks like quite a decent pack and just hopinh i dont hear bad stories about it :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:11 pm 

Hi

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, my ex-girlfriend had one, worst pack ever, zips broke, uncomfortable, flops around if not stuffed tight and badly fitting. Avoid.

Save up for something a bit better...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:32 pm 

ARGH!!

Thanks for saving me though! :thumleft:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:22 am 

Dave,
35 litre you are looking at will be way to small. UNLESS, you are wanting it for a day hike.
No ways you will get a 60 rope, draws, harness, shoes, chalkbag, water, wet weather gear in there.
As I said, I have the Camelbak ''peakbagger'' 35 litre and cannot put all mentioned gear in it.
Check out BD Mission or BD cailbre....assuming you want to use it for the same thing that i do.
cheers

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:28 am 

pay double the price and get three times the pack.... makes sense to me :thumleft:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:30 pm 

I went looking today and realised what im actually looking for is around the 45 - 50L mark!

I really like the look of the Karrimor Alpiniste 45+10 but again i know nothing about packs, is Karrimor any good?

Right now its either that or the first ascent 55+10 but i think thats starting to push the sizes a bit?

So lost :D

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:40 pm 

You mean this pack: http://www.karrimor.com/catalog/rucsacs/alpiniste-45-10

Karrimor packs are awesome, have had a 65L Jaguar for years, still looks new, everything still works, doesn't get used all that much anymore because my smaller packs are less bulky. I know several people who have had previous versions of the Alpiniste and have been very happy. One thing, if you are short (less than 165cm), the distance between the waist belt and the shoulder strap attachments might be too long.

Get lots of heavy stuff at the shop, tents, ropes etc and really load up the pack, then try it on. Get the hip belt in position first and tighten it properly, then tighten the shoulder straps so the pack sits against your back, but not too tight, the weight must be on your hips, then lastly tighten the "load-lifter" straps (the straps running from on top of your shoulders to the top of the pack). If it is comfy, buy it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:17 pm 

I have a new karrimor bobcat and an older karrimor that i use as a schoolbag, I have noticed there is unfortunatly a large difference between the newer karrimors and the older ones in their durability, I would suppose that this is probably because they are now made in china (not sure where they were made before).