It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:44 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:37 pm 

Hann wrote:
So,
What is the sound of one hand clapping?

Never mind.....

I ended up going for Solomon shoes approach shoes.
- Have had no ankle problems (touch wood)
- Have completed a 40km, 2day hike with zero problems.
- Just hiked up Tafelberg Cederberg with 25kg-30kg, and Wolfberg the next day. Not a blister.

Problems:
- Rubber could be more sticky. I tend to slip a little on steep rock.
- The fancy shoelace eye-thingies are busy tearing off. Once they fail, I'll have to get other shoes...

I'll probably never buy boots again for local mountains.
Approach shoes are light, convenient, have heel loops to attach to a harness, cost less and come in funky colours.

Same as the sound of two hands clapping, just softer ;)

Can't you return them if the loops break off, surely that should be covered...?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:50 pm 

Camp 4s are not waterproof. It's not boots either. Have a look at the Canyoneer (I think that's what it is called). It looks like a crossing between the camp 4 and a wet suit - a bit weird. That said, camp 4 is the best shoes I've ever had, although it probably doesn't mean much coming from a bloke who's not exactly a shoe-person.

Almost forgot why I wanted to reply. Outdoor Freedom in Doringkloof Mall (Centurion) has them. You can also try Drifters in Sandton, but I'm not sure if they stock 5.10.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:55 pm 

Question

Can you effectivly resole approach shoes?

Mindless ramble

And just a precaution I had a pair of Boreals that were great but they eventually stopped giving my feet ample support, they still look fine but if I use them for any activity my feet are in agony the next day. I am, however, a bit of a heavy fellow so I do give my feet a bit of punishment. They did last for a good few years though but my boots are older and have never given me this problem.

But truth be told I used my boots very seldom during the period I had my Boreals.

And yes I like to argue with myself.

In summery if you have ankle problems get boots, if you trek in areas that are extremely wet I'd go for boots, it sucks when the water just gets above the top of the shoe and floods your feet. Otherwise get the shoes.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:00 pm 

Thanks for the input guys. I'll go and try drifters in Sandton. Are there any other shops wrth mentioning in the JHB area that stock a wide variety of hiking boots (as mentioned in this thread...?)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:19 pm 

So just thought I would update everyone on what I ended up going for.
So we went to Drifters in Sandton and I ended up getting a pair of LaSportiva Tibets. I tried on the Salomon Cosmic 4D's and although they are very nice they reminded me a little too much of my Merrel hiking boot that I currently own(Ie. they start out quite firm but soften with time). I was also a bit worried about the waterproof aspect which is quite important to me.

So I've been wearing the Tibets to work and I'm really enjoying them so far. The ankle support is nice and high which suits me like a glove and the sole is crazy stiff and hard (which I prefer-last thing I want is to feel sharpish rocks through the sole of my shoe).

I will hopefully be able to give them a proper go this weekend when we go to Sabie so will let you guys know what my further thoughts are after wards.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:27 pm 

Hann wrote:
@ Spike.
What boots did you have before the Cosmics? Also synthetic or leather?
It is a worry that 1, the boots leak, and 2 they don't breath properly.
As for the 2 x Hi Tech phylosophy: I've considered it too. But them red shoes are way cool :money:

@ Daydreams.
Of the Tibets I've heard only good things.
Catch is that the La Sportiva's are designed for narrow European feet.
Me, I have short, wide and fat Siberian/Mongolian feet.

Sorry just wanted to weigh in on this comment. I actually have very wide feet (I also have "club feet" which essentially also means that i practically have no arch). That said I have ample room in the Tibets despite them actually looking like a narrow shoe from the outside (Yeah I know, it's a bit weird).