It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:09 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Hiking/Trail Pants
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:37 pm 

I know this is probably not a topic that many people come across quite often but when walking for km's on end a pair of comfortable pants is a must in my books. That said I have had my fair amount of experiences while wearing less than ideal pants which don't only restrict your movement but causes chaffing second to none.

Our selection in SA isn't great as always but have any of you come across any good hiking pants which are somewhat water repellent, have articulated knees and are tough enough to last.....?

If you have any good advice/gear recommendations please do share :)

Post subject: Re: Hiking/Trail Pants
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:49 pm 

Hi

IMO, CapeStorm used to be the way to go for technical pants, great for hiking, well designed, tough etc. However in the last while they have changed their fabrics and gone for super-light weight fabrics that are not as hard wearing. I have owned several pairs of their pants and the 4 year old ones are still going strong and the ones I bought last year have already given up the ghost.

After that experience I tried First Ascent, they make some good ones, have had a pair for a year now and they are great, comfy, wind resistant, quick drying and seem very durable. The ones to buy for sure.

Not sure where you are going to find ones that are water repellent too unless you buy shell pants but no one wants to hike in those unless it is raining surely?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:05 am 

I don't think you'll get the ideal pants, at least not in SA - if you do please let me know. The closest I got so far is Prana. My only real concern with them is that they don't look like they're going to last long. I have 2 pairs and both of them are holding up surprisingly well. The older pair is getting a little fluffy, but it's not that bad. The newer pair looks like it is made from slightly different material and it shows no signs of fluffing. All in all they are pretty close to ideal (for warm weather). They have quite a lot of stretch and I think that, along with cut, is the secret ingredient to comfort. I pretty much live in them (climb, hike, work, social....). They also dry really fast, so it's not exactly water repellent, but the moisture wicking is really good. They probably won't do the trick in very cold conditions, but at least they are very light. Downside: they are a bit on the expensive side, but not more than levy jeans for example.

I had a look at the stuff from Mountain Hardware, and I'm impressed. I doubt you'll get it here though, and I don't doubt that it'll cost an arm and a leg.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:28 am 

shorti wrote:
I don't think you'll get the ideal pants, at least not in SA - if you do please let me know. The closest I got so far is Prana. My only real concern with them is that they don't look like they're going to last long. I have 2 pairs and both of them are holding up surprisingly well. The older pair is getting a little fluffy, but it's not that bad. The newer pair looks like it is made from slightly different material and it shows no signs of fluffing. All in all they are pretty close to ideal (for warm weather). They have quite a lot of stretch and I think that, along with cut, is the secret ingredient to comfort. I pretty much live in them (climb, hike, work, social....). They also dry really fast, so it's not exactly water repellent, but the moisture wicking is really good. They probably won't do the trick in very cold conditions, but at least they are very light. Downside: they are a bit on the expensive side, but not more than levy jeans for example.

I had a look at the stuff from Mountain Hardware, and I'm impressed. I doubt you'll get it here though, and I don't doubt that it'll cost an arm and a leg.

Thanks for the replies.
Where did you get the prana pants from...? The thing is that I would need to try the pants on first to see how it fits and i have quite a specific build :)
On the issue of mountain hardware. I see that one sa online shop stocks at least one of their pants but thats it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:38 am 

Zenbaas wrote:
Where did you get the prana pants from...?

One pair from Drifters and the other from City Rock :thumleft:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:50 am 

+1 for the FA pants, they're hardwearing, wick really well, wind resistant

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:54 am 

regarding the FA pants - are you guys referring to a specific model or all of them in general?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:23 am 

Hi

They no longer seem to make the exact ones I have, the closest they come are these, which are pretty similar.

That said, checking the website of a well known locally based online retailer, the Mountain Hardware versions are only R77 more...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:19 pm 

Nic Le Maitre wrote:
Hi

They no longer seem to make the exact ones I have, the closest they come are these, which are pretty similar.

That said, checking the website of a well known locally based online retailer, the Mountain Hardware versions are only R77 more...

But there is no one that stocks the mountain hardware in SA as far as i know right...? I would be willing to spend tthe $$$ but only if I Can fit them on.

Looks like FA is the best choice for now.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:00 pm 

Ok, here you go:

The Importer/Distributor in SA: http://www.adventureinc.co.za/mountain-hardwear/

The MH pants: https://www.mountainmailorder.co.za/ind ... uctId=1874

[Sorry Justin, but it isn't advertising because I don't work for any of them :) ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:21 pm 

Thanks Nic . Those MH meso pants were the ones I was referring to. I have emailed adventureinc regarding who possibly stocks them locally. Will see what they have to say.

Regarding my original comment with waterproof pants. It's just that the last 3 hikes we were on it rained s lot. Think I should just get a waterproof pants to put over when it rains and then remove it aftetwards.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:15 pm 

Hi

Good luck. If you are in the Cape, Seven Summits stock the MH ones.

Hiking in rain gear is like wearing a full body condom, do it as little as possible! The fynbos trashes rain gear so quickly too that wearing waterproofs all the time is not economically feasible, unless you are made of money.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:28 pm 

Nic Le Maitre wrote:
Hi

Good luck. If you are in the Cape, Seven Summits stock the MH ones.

Hiking in rain gear is like wearing a full body condom, do it as little as possible! The fynbos trashes rain gear so quickly too that wearing waterproofs all the time is not economically feasible, unless you are made of money.

Hahaha damn man then whats the alternative...? Suck it up and hike in the "wet"...? I've done a good 7 hour hike with constant rain using one of those disposable poncho's and although they are "ok-ish" they definitely aren't great. I guess a waterproof jacket with a good pair of hiking pants which at least prevents the water from entering your shoes will have to do. I'm in JHB by the way :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:26 am 

Hi

Where I am right now, all we ever do is hike in shell pants at least because it is always wet and the mud is sometimes more than knee deep, hardest hiking ever. Sucks really badly on warm days, sweat yourself silly.

If it is raining then you don't really have an alternative but to hike in a full shell :puker: Toughest shell pants I have found yet are the First Ascent Summit ones, good fabric, hard wearing, full length zips (can put them on/take them off over boots) and braces to stop them falling down.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:52 pm 

The best wearing material I have ever come across at an affordable price is Sportif. They lack any "cool" factor but they are indestructible. They are used by the yachting community around the world. They are stretchy too, dry quick and very comfy with lots of pockets for stuff. They are also smart enough to use as casual wear i.e. chinos. I use them for work till they begin to look a little faded and they are relegated to climbing pants and they simply don't wear out. They are great for walking thru fynbos too.

I have never worn thru the seat or knees of any pair and I have 5 pairs of different colours.

http://www.sportif.com/stretch-pants-sh ... tifstretch

I doubt they will sell in South Africa because they are not "sexy" enough. They cost $69 = about R500 in the states. the equivalent "mountain" pants made with the by the likes of Mammut using the Schoeller fabric are usually dark coloured and cost 4 to 5 times as much.

http://www.mammut.ch/apps/productFinder.html

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:58 pm 

I see Sportif have them on Special at $40 for some colours like Pewter.

I can make plan to get them here if anyone wants.

Probably cost around R700 for the ones on special and about R850 for the full price ones by the time they get here what with VAT customs and shipping.

Send me a pm