It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:23 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Howzit?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:03 pm 

Hi everyone. Not sure what the protocol is, but the cards behind the bar so help yourselves to a few virtual Black Lables if that's your poison.

I living in London at the mo, and have been overseas for a long time now, and recently getting a bit gatvol and homesick. In the last eight years I have been away from the mother africa I've managed to do a trip on my own to Yosemite and mess around with the small stuff (hitch-hiked around California) and never did get to Joshua Tree. Went climbing in Majorca (spanish isles in the Med?) and wondering why the Spanish bolt the f*ck out of everything. Went out with a Candian girl who picked me up at a climbing wall - found out the joys of sea-cliff climbing in Swanage and south Pembrokeshire. Dealt with my first climbing fatality (took a while to start climbing again after that one). Lived the Lakes District in northern UK and got climbing more regularly and lead some routes that \"built character\". And then in the meantime discovered motocross riding and supermoto racing, which knocked the climbing back. Broke some bones and now want to get back into it. But there's so much more to do...

Anyways long story short, I'm thinking of coming home. Pints and curry are all very well - but for some strange reason I'm missing it (and the sun)and am even thinking of going back to the Free State (where it all started) - hey, don't laugh. :wink: So how's things going down there? Is Cape Town pretty much the only realistic place to live? Are there any saffa's left in country (cos they all seem to living in London). How's crime (all we ever get is the bad news here). Is it possible to get work these days and make a decent living? And most importantly is the climbing scene going strong?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:28 am 

Without wanting to be hegemonic, there really isn't anywhere to live other than Cape Town, if you want to climb. Hell, if you've been living in London, Cape TOwn is going to seem like heaven. In my limited experience of UK climbing (a week in the mecca, the Peak district), SA climbing is so much better, it's not even a competition.

Since I moved back to Cape Town from Joburg 13 months ago, I've climbed outside every weekend bar 3 weekends when I was overseas, and 1 weekend when it rained both days. And I've managed to surf a bunch too. That's something you can't take for granted, especially if you've been living somewhere like London.

THe only problem is that Cape Town might seem a little prosaic compared to London. And people are clique-y too. Still, climbers are a more welcoming bunch than Capetonians in general. Most of my friends are climbers, and most of them are transplants, but Cape Town does lack the friendliness of Joburg.

In terms of crime, there is plenty. But there's plenty in the UK too. And there's plenty all over the globe. And there are plenty of poor people here with no income, and no prospect of income. It gets a bit depressing, to be honest, and I'm continually trying to reconcile it in my head, and figure out what we can do about it (if there was an easy answer no-one would be poor, but hey). There's no reason to be anything other than optimistic about SA's future.

Of course, don't take this forum at anything more than face value - if you did, you'd think that most South African climbers have a room temperature IQ and are in dire need of a frontal lobotomy. THat's only true of bitter JOburg climbers.

Good luck with your decision - I know I wouldn't leave here for anything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:53 am 

RSA is the place to be.

Leave the cold place and come to the light.
The Economy has grown more than predicted over the last 2 years. New car sales are up on previous years, and every second person owns a SUV. Things are looking good.

Jobs? I can't speak for other industrys but in Construction and Development there is a shortage of skilled persons, and jobs are plentyfull. You won't recognise some areas, Bushveld has been cleared and Upmarket Housing is everywere, along with Golf Coarses and all the rest.

The Climbing is carrying on as usial, and there are people climbing outside of CapeTown. The Capetownians just have the best Bouldring, But there is plenty in other areas, even the FreeState.

See you when you get back. (Hopefully)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 8:56 am 

Thanks for the replies. I will eventually end up back in SA, you guys have pretty much confirmed what I thought. Crime over here is just different. I do smile at the amount of disrespect the police get off people over here since theyt don't carry guns and have their hands tied with political creectness gone OT over here. I work in opertaing theatres and used to work as a journo, so I' sure I could worm myself into a job somehow.

My sister used to likve in CT, but is coming over to the UK to study. My parents used to have a place in Pringle Bay, which was fun whenever I came over to visit from the UK and go and boulder or sit and watch Hangklip and try and work out routes up it. I'm used to some Capetonians and the attitude, so no worries there (I have a couple of friends in Cape Town). Not too fussed about advice or opinions from climbers, since on some level we're all a sandwhich short of a picnic. I'll definately let you all know when I come back, even if only for a visit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 8:59 am 

Thanks for the replies. I will eventually end up back in SA, you guys have pretty much confirmed what I thought. Crime over here is just different. I do smile at the amount of disrespect the police get off people over here since they don't carry guns and have their hands tied with political correctness gone OT over here. I work in operting theatres and used to work as a journo, so I' sure I could worm myself into a job somehow.

My sister used to live in CT, but is coming over to the UK to study. My parents used to have a place in Pringle Bay, which was fun whenever I came over to visit from the UK and go and boulder or sit and watch Hangklip and try and work out routes up it. I'm used to some Capetonians and the attitude, so no worries there (I have a couple of friends in Cape Town anyway). Not too fussed about advice or opinions from climbers, since on some level we're all a sandwhich short of a picnic. :D I'll definately let you all know when I come back, even if only for a visit. Last time I tried I brought my full rack and left my climbing shoes in the UK, and broke my arm after flipping my bike doing stunts in tottenham court road four hours before I flew out to SA. :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 9:00 am 

Thanks for the replies. I will eventually end up back in SA, you guys have pretty much confirmed what I thought. Crime over here is just different. I do smile at the amount of disrespect the police get off people over here since they don't carry guns and have their hands tied with political correctness gone OT over here. I work in operating theatres and used to work as a journo, so I' sure I could worm myself into a job somehow.

My sister used to live in CT, but is coming over to the UK to study. My parents used to have a place in Pringle Bay, which was fun whenever I came over to visit from the UK and go and boulder or sit and watch Hangklip and try and work out routes up it. I'm used to some Capetonians and the attitude, so no worries there (I have a couple of friends in Cape Town anyway). Not too fussed about advice or opinions from climbers, since on some level we're all a sandwhich short of a picnic. :D I'll definately let you all know when I come back, even if only for a visit. Last time I tried I brought my full rack and left my climbing shoes in the UK, and broke my arm after flipping my bike doing stunts in tottenham court road four hours before I flew out to SA. :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:17 am 

SOMEBODY TELL ME WHY I DO NOT MOVE TO SA? ABOUT TO ENDURE MY 6TH TRIP IN 7 YEARS. ALWAYS ENDS IN TEARS. :?:
IS IT BECAUSE I AM ENGLISH
I HAVE A FAMILY
IT IS TOO DARN DIFFICULT (SHOULD NOT BE I AM A HEALTH PRO, BUSINESS MAN AND HAVE SOME DOSH)
I RUN OUT OF EXCUSES. I WANT MY FAMILY HAPPY AND I WANT TO CLIMB...
OCCAMS RAZOR AT IT'S ABSOLUTE.
WHO KNOWS A LAWYER????

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:10 am 

gnomki wrote:
SOMEBODY TELL ME WHY I DO NOT MOVE TO SA? ABOUT TO ENDURE MY 6TH TRIP IN 7 YEARS. ALWAYS ENDS IN TEARS. :?:
IS IT BECAUSE I AM ENGLISH
I HAVE A FAMILY
IT IS TOO DARN DIFFICULT (SHOULD NOT BE I AM A HEALTH PRO, BUSINESS MAN AND HAVE SOME DOSH)
I RUN OUT OF EXCUSES. I WANT MY FAMILY HAPPY AND I WANT TO CLIMB...
OCCAMS RAZOR AT IT'S ABSOLUTE.
WHO KNOWS A LAWYER????

It's because you type in caps and South Africa minimum literacy requirements (despite what you might read here).