Quantcast
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:08 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:39 pm 

Does anyone know what happened and if the dude is ok? Or who was involved?

There has been loads of stuff in the papers - but they never get a stort correct.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:52 pm 

Still a paper report (from the weekend), but reasonably detailed and gives the name of the climber

http://www.climb.co.za/news_detail.asp?newsid=327

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:54 am 

Surely the (german) dudes climbing with the guy could give some more info?
Would like to know what happened.
Belayer error, gear coming out, no gear?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:17 am 
it seems that arrow final is never short of victims. why is this? It's an easy climb.
any other notorious climbs on TM? I know of fatalities on Africa Cracks, Jacob's Ladder etc... Africa cracks is understandable. There's no pro in the chimney, but Arrow Final?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:58 am 

I reckon the main cause is people putting in less gear on Arrow Final (self included) because it’s so easy.
\"It's so easy I'd never fall off this\"
In the event of a fall, you will fall further and increase the chances of ripping out gear!
The fact that the climb is at a sloping angle doesn't help either when you swing in from a fall (that is if you don't land on a ledge first!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:28 am 
So any news ? Has he pulled out of the coma ?
Lets all say a pray for him and his family!

Post subject: Arrow Final accident
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:47 am 
The climber who fell on Arrow is still in a serious condition in hospital. He has apparently improved slightly, and it is expected that a more accurate indication of his condition will be obtained once he regains consciousness.

It is difficult to assess what happened, other than the fact he had a lot of rope out (estimated 20m) when he fell. He thus sustained a very long, severe fall.
Arrow has accounted for many fatalities. Most of this is attributable to the fact that it is popular, hence statistically more likely to host incidents. Also, many people feel comfortable running things out on the easy terrain, where there is not a surplus of 'easy' gear placements. Many people have done the route many times before, hence are confident despite the lack of gear.
Also, nearer the top there is a lot of loose gravel on the ledges, which increases the risk of slipping. Much of this is due to the building renovations undertaken when the cableway was upgraded. There is also some grease and oil that is deposited regularly from the cables, which may add to the safety problems of the area.
Frankly, I think the cablecar makes the climb a lot less safe, but that is my opinion only.
Many climbing incidents arise from when climbers are moving around on \"safe\" ledges, and result from a moment's inattention. Please people, take care when you are topping out.

cheers
Brent
MCSA Mountain Rescue

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:10 am 

I do not to say anymore about the gentleman, only hoping all goes well with him. However this is an opportune moment for me to complain about the insularity of the SA climber. a while ago I had asked whether Flaunders was a \"solid\" route. Perhaps a little gets lost in the translation.
Solid means.... clean, immovable rock i.e. a line which although you might fall down is not going to full down on you. I asked this because I was, and indeed still am thinking about soloing it. The information I asked for I would happily give you should you ask me, if you were coming to my country (the UK). Say for example, I Mr. ZA Climbing Dude needs to know if \"The Hoopla\" on Frodsham Buttress in Cheshire is a bit flakey?. My answer is....no absolutely solid. Be a little sweeter and I might even Betarise you!
I do not like the idea of sand in my Arrow. One less climb to worry about. And if you fell off The Hoopla and landed in the Countess Hospital in Cheshire? Well I can tell you no hold would have fell off, so why were you on it in the first place? I, like all of us take responsibility for myself, sometimes We just need the simple answers.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:25 pm 

hey there, any news on Hugh ?