Quantcast
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:55 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Why?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:44 am 

I was wondering why climbers don't use cycling helmets for climbing? is it because they aren't rated cause taking a crash at 80km/h is hectic. oh the reason why i asked is cause they are way more comfortable than regular climbing helmets. Well for me at least.

Thanks
Wes

Post subject: Re: Why?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:04 am 

Hi

That would be because cycling helmets are designed and tested to protect your head from cycling related injuries i.e. riding into things at high speed. Climbing helmets are designed and tested to protect your head from from climbing related injuries i.e. rockfall.

See this thread for a more complete discussion: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3249

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:36 pm 

Also, try wearing a non-price-point climbing helmet: I bet a Bell is more comfy then a game special bike helmet too

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:31 pm 

Helmets have come a long way since the mining look alikes we used way back when. There are comfy lightweight options out there - I use the Tracer from BD: http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en-us/shop/climb/helmets/

Cycling/kayaking/skateboarding helmets sit tight & close to your grey stuff, so there is not much space for the helmet to deform & absorb the impact of a stone falling from high up.

If you came off your 2 wheels at 80km/h and hit a sharp object, it will simply pierce through, generally you hit larger objects like the ground & the load is spread.

You can however use your Tracer (or similar type) helmet for cycling I guess? If you were planning to only own one.

If you only have a cycling helmet, use that till you can afford or get around to buying the real deal and take your chances...better than nothing? :bom:

013 257 0363
climb @t rocrope dot com

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 10:24 pm 

I'm sorry. Really? Have you ever worn a petzl ecrin roc. I don't know what cycling helmets you've been buying but I never wore one as comfy as my climbing helmet. And I agree helmets are designed specifally for the sport you're engaging in. I certainly wouldn't cycle in my climbing helmet. Its just not designed for that. I've seen climbers wearing cycling helmets and it confuses me. But its your brain protect it how you see fit.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 10:04 am 

You are right, you should not go climbing with a cycling helmet.

But if it is the only helmet you have available at the time, it may be better than not having a helmet at all.

013 257 0363
climb @t rocrope dot com

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 1:20 pm 

This is not exactly related to why people don't use cycling helmets but I thought it would be appropriate to ask here, why don't people wear climbing helmets for bouldering? I mean I have had falls while bouldering which have come pretty close to needing a helmet.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 10:35 am 

Wes bro,
Climbing helmets not only protect you from rock falls, but from you falling too. They come around the back of the head to save your pip from smacking a rock if you land on your back. Cycling helmets are aerodynamic, ending in a point, helping you break your neck when you deck it.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 12:38 pm 

The different helmets conforms to different minimum standards. I am not familiar with the cycling standards but for climbing helmets the EN 12492 / UIAA 106 standard applies. Below is a graphical depiction (from http://www.theuiaa.org/upload_area/pict ... elmets.jpg) of the most critical requirements for climbing helmets. You'll see that penetration, energy absorbtion and slippage of the helmet are some of the important things that a climbing helmet needs to cater for.

Anyone know what the requirements are for cycling helmets for a comparison?

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 2:43 pm 

The standards for a cycling helmet is EN 1078.
From Wiki it looks like the same tests as with climbing helmets. But not tested for penetration.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EN_1078
Anyone time to search for a nice graphic showing the tests?? (my quick search ended up in having to pay for a report of the detail of the tests)

Cycling helmets can only handle one impact. Maybe the main difference between the two? (Except the penetration part)

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 3:47 pm 

loneranger wrote:
Cycling helmets can only handle one impact. Maybe the main difference between the two? (Except the penetration part)

Climbing helmets are also made to absorb only one major impact, the Ecrin, Elios, Vertex, Half Dome etc have a hard shell that is durable and can withstand the knocks and bumps of normal use (I knock my head far far more when wearing a helmet than when not) but should they actually save your life they should be retired. The Elios and Half Dome have deformable foam like a cycling helmet, the Vertex and the Ecrin have small plastic pins (holding the webbing) that break under heavy impact, helping to absorb the shock.

I would not recommend reusing your helmet after a major impact, even if it looks ok.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 7:56 pm 

This was the result of a ground fall (the climber was seriously injured, incl. head injuries, and flown away by a heli but recovered and is still climbing strong years later) - If it was my choice I would think carefully about using safety equipment made a for different activity just to save 500 bucks.