Quantcast
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:05 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Cam Service
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 9:28 am 

Hey,

What is safe to use on Cams? Not so sure about Q20 or equivalent.

Post subject: Re: Cam Service
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 11:00 am 

I've used WD40 (twice as good as Q20 :wink: ) on my WC friends, but I've heard there are better options. Apparently you get a dry lubricant and the idea is that it doesn't collect dirt like Q20. I haven't had any trouble after lubing my cams, I was just very careful to not get any of it on the slings. I have a seized up master cam and I would like to try and fix it with a dry lube, mostly because I don't want to get any Q20 on the kevlar triggers. Can anyone give me some advice on what to buy and where? I'm going to look in a hardware store in any case, to see what I can find.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 11:06 am 

What you want is graphite powder. Try a locksmith.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 11:09 am 

Oh no, those rusty master cams seizing up shorti?

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 11:09 am 

"Copperslip" is a dry lube, not sure how many variants there are. You can buy it in a tube. Not sure if it's latex-safe though :wink:

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 11:15 am 

Take it to a bicycle shop... No its not funny...

We use dry lube on the chains which is ideal for cams. Its a liquid that flows into all the grooves and then all the extra alcohol evaporates leaving only the good stuff behind where it is needed most. Im sure they wont even charge you for it.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 1:01 pm 

At least I have 7 left, you still only have 5 C3s! And it's not rust, it's ... something else, I think.

Thanks for the advice. I've had a peek at the mountain bike forums, and lube seems to be quite the topic of debate. I'm not that fussy, as long as it works, I'll be happy.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 1:09 pm 

5 C3's and 8 C4's of which 2 of the C3's have never left the house(brand new) ie. no lube needed... We still need to do a trip together so we can use them C3's

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 1:49 pm 

Hi guys

We now sell the Cam Doctor Trigger Wire Repair Kit. Might help you fix/lube those cams.

:thumright

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 2:07 pm 

Nice, can you send me one of those kits? Or is it better to beg one of my Capie buddies to buy me one?

All right all right Oukie, you don't have to lure me with your cams, I'll go climb with you :mrgreen: See you at the wall tonight.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 2:46 pm 

Negative - not 2 nite its sisters Bday so going for supper at a fancy place.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 2:49 pm 

Buy a really hard pencil (like a 4H) and split it to get the lead out (or buy lengths of lead if you can find them still) and grind it up. Sprinkle the powder in the cam's moving parts.

Or buy silicon lubricant, also works very well and does not degrade slings as other lubricants can.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 3:08 pm 

shorti wrote:
I have a seized up master cam and I would like to try and fix it with a dry lube, mostly because I don't want to get any Q20 on the kevlar triggers

If it's fully siezed you might have to use a bit of force on it to free up the seized cams. As I climb on the seacliffs a fair bit I quite often get cams seizing up (plus I'm a lui bliksem when it comes to gear maintenance). Give it a good lubeing up, leave it for a day or so then get it in a vice to apply pressure to get cams moving again, but don't overdo it! A few taps wilth a mallet help too.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:18 am 

Metolius cam lube is made specifically for cams, nothing else. It's a wax formula that goes on wet and sets dry to give dirt resistant smooth action.

I don't say this just because we bring it into the country but I don't know of anything else on the South African market like it... I stand to be corrected though if there is.

I've used it on my cams and it works well.

We stock it at CityROCK

Cheers,

L

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:40 am 

Leebo wrote:
Metolius cam lube is made specifically for cams, nothing else. It's a wax formula that goes on wet and sets dry to give dirt resistant smooth action. L

Exactly the same as the bicycle chain lube. It is called Dry lube but one also get a variant which is called dry wax.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:00 am 

haha, nice one Nic, I also thought of doing that, but I don't really see how that will work. A liquid that dries seems better. The lobes and springs on those metolius cams are super tightly packed, I'm amazed it can actually move.

Chris, it's not completely seized up, it's more of a sticky problem. I can trigger it, but it doesn't cam again on it's own.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:11 pm 

shorti wrote:
haha, nice one Nic, I also thought of doing that, but I don't really see how that will work.

Without getting too technical, graphite is a form of carbon that is made of flat sheets of carbon atoms, one atom thick that are stacked on top of one another. They can slide around on top of one another with very little resistance making a decent dry lubricant.

A 4H pencil is pretty much pure graphite so when you sprinkle it in the working parts it will lubricate them. This works in practice I promise.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:15 pm 

shorti wrote:
Chris, it's not completely seized up, it's more of a sticky problem. I can trigger it, but it doesn't cam again on it's own.

Sticky problem? I don't dare ask what you do with your cams :wink:

Sounds like brute force is probably not necessary then, hopefully some lube will sort it out.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:31 pm 

You can buy graphite powder from builders warehouse and locksmiths... no need to grind it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:53 pm 

The dry wax to use on cams is "White Lightening" imported ex USA and expensive or local equivalent "Squirt" from Pretoria both available from most bicycle shops. They are both excellent lubes for cams and don't accumulate grit and dust as do Q20 etc. Apply lube to the axles and then work the cam so that the lube penetrates then wipe any excess off with cloth. Seized cams or slow returning cams usually means there is grit and dust mixed with the original lube on the axles. The best way to free them is to clean them ultrasonically in an ultrasonic bath as used by jewellers.
If you are in Cape Town I can do this for you as well as replace any cables with the correct gauge stainless steel cable, properly crimped.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:49 pm 

Chris F wrote:
Sticky problem? I don't dare ask what you do with your cams
Well, I took 'em to Cape Town and that is when the trouble started... It's probably just dassie piss.
Squirt really is worthy of all the hype! My cam is all lubed up and running smoothly :thumright

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:56 am 

http://www.artattackshop.co.za/e-shop?p ... gory_id=16
I found this place on the internet selling graphite powder. They sell graphite powder a lot cheaper than the 15gram bottles of graphite powder you buy at the hardware for locks. Is graphite powder graphite powder? Is the graphite powder you buy at the hardware store in the 15gram bottles for locks maybe finer than this graphite powder they sell to artists called cretacolour graphite powder? I am trying to understand the price difference and trying to make sure it is the same product.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:51 am 

It's important to buy graphite powder in a little squirt bottle, as you 'squirt' it VERY carefully into the rotating/sliding parts of a cam (time consuming to get it right). It's not something you can easily spoon or pour, as it doesn't readily stick. It is the quintessential dry lube though; none of the others mentioned on this thread are actually truly dry and they will attract dirt. This can, however, be partially mitigated by using only a VERY small amount of, say, wax-based lube. Copperslip is most certainly not dry and is chiefly used on bolt threads.