Quantcast
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:38 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: the mine-car break ins
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:00 pm 

was at the mine today bouldering the short sport routes.when i arrived there were a lot of cars parked.a kind man in the parking lot informed me that a car had just been broken into so to double check that i had no visable items lying around.they had stolen all the sound(as far as i know),had ripped out the ignition(so were obviously gonna steel the entire car) and left a pole behind which they had tried to break the gearlock with.he had sent someone back up 2 inform everyone and on my way up they were all coming down.there day of climbing was ruined by these thieves.when i got to the top there were 2 guys still climbing and when i left a quite a while later a
i was shocked to see that there was only one car in the parking lot,mine.dont know how those 2 guys got there but i'm sure they didnt walk!hopefully i am wrong and they got a lift there but they where in there mid 20ties so im sure there parents didnt drop them off.if they read this would b interesting to know the whole story.so finally a warning to all.we need to do something about this.ps-the guy in the carpark told me he had phoned the police but they had more important stuff to deal with.how typical

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 7:12 pm 

Fu$k. I am there quite a bit and have never spotted anyone lurking around. Was this on the weekend or during the week? I know alot of people with bakkies drive up to park further up. Anyone know if there has ever been a break-in up there? There was a group of 5 bakkies up there today, including mine. Hopefully they are too lazy to walk further up!! Anyone got a sniper rifle?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:40 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Break in's have occurred before see the linkbelow...
http://www.climb.co.za/phpbb2/viewtopic ... light=mine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:40 pm 

hey mat

unless one of those two guys had brown hair and long white pants and the other had red hair.... it was not us. i don't recall being at the mine on the described day.

although, depending on the vehical we drive up to the mine or half way and park in side road to the left as Stu mentioned. if our wheels of the day are not equiped to make the drive up, we park in front of the guard hut by that army base thing.
so it would seem as though we had no transport at the crag if we were the last to leave.... the walk is probably 500m longer (on flat ground) so rather that than a stolen car.

if you decide to park there just pop in the hut and tell them that you are leaving the car for the afternoon...

cheers
a fellow victim of the cape crag crime