It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:49 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:08 pm 

I want to go climbing at Mount Everest near harrismith, I have been trying to get hold of Eagle Mountain Game Lodge, but their phone just rings (058 623 0235) does anybody have an active number or email address? While I am at it what is the lodge and the climbing like? Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:42 pm 

Mt Everest is a great place to climb. Stunning setting, single-and-mulitipitch bolted routes and rock that has both interesting features and great friction. Nice campsite and beautiful chalets to stay in, and plenty of wild animals walking around while you climb. The only detractions are the often unstable weather, occasional dodgy rock and a lack of hard routes. Call Lukas Maloi to make a reservation on 083 362 1679.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:53 pm 

Great thanks, I spoke to Lucas who has given me an email address so hopefully they will be able to mail me info. It seems their phone line was hit by lightning. \"occasional dodgy rock\" does that mean I need to buy a helmet? :shock:

Post subject: rock != bomber
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:18 am 

The rock is very poreous (sp) and is quite soft, the stuff also absorbs a lot of water after it's rained. The rock has a limestone feel to it (pockets, etc) , but is soft sandstone afaik.

Regarding the helmet: yes offcourse you need to buy one (and wear it). Is you life worth less than R500?

- twiga

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:03 am 

Thanks Twiga, I am glad I have someone to talk to, I didnt know who to confide in somedays I feel down and then I say to myself \"self? today I dont know? my life just doesnt feel worth it, I just feel like its worth R495.99\" and then I think \"Stuff it - who needs a helmet anyway\" I know its wrong and I should try and stay positive... :wink: Just kidding, thanks for the info, I know I have to get a helmet, its shocking that I havent got one yet.

Post subject: Helmet
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:40 am 

Helmets are a great idea.
Especially for any multi-pitch stuff.
I saw a climber slip and wipe on a easy climb (15) the other day.
She had a horrible fall (on lead) and hit her head on the rock. She was okay, bit stunned and bloody, but sore. I wear my helmet whenever I climb now, rather safe then sorry. If you should were a helmet when you ride a bike, you should most definately wear a helmet when you climb (or at least lead).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:36 pm 

Not sure if I agree with that last statement?
If there has to be a choice, rather the 2nd have the 'dome' cause there is a greater chance of something giving into the whims of gravity...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:52 pm 

Like the 1st? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:21 am 

Everyone has the right to opinions without interference and to seek, receive and impart information and ideas through any media and regardless of frontiers.

Last edited by guest on Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:12 am 

Oh for Everest's best routes to be in the '5.12' range...
Not sure what conversion chart was used, bit here are no more than a handful of routes in the 5.12 (25-28) range at Mt Everest. Non of the routes mentioned by Guest are harder than 24, although all routes on the list are excellent.
Also have to add my 2c about helmets: useful and necessary on rarely climbed trad routes, I have never seen the need for them at established sport crags.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:14 am 

Sorry, not sure why that happened. Should have read: 5.12 = 25-28

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:12 am 

Everyone has the right to opinions without interference and to seek, receive and impart information and ideas through any media and regardless of frontiers.

Last edited by guest on Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:48 am 

Have a look at Harrismith under the Topo's section.... you'll see my pic of Acrophobia, at the Cyclops Crag - Mt Everest.

If that portrayal of the route quality doesn't get you salivating for some Harrismith rock, I don't think much will! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:53 pm 

Awesome picture - I want to climb it! - unfortunately the hardest climb I have done so far is a 21 (and it was possibly overrated). This is the first time I am going to climb multi pitch so I am going to start on something easier (endurance will probably be a problem), hopefully guest is on the money and the easy routes are also awesome

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:34 pm 

Hey Mark if you can only get your hands on one helmet, let your belayer wear the helmet. Rather have the person controlling the rope conscious. Obviously best case scenario is if both of you are wereing a helmet.

I saw a girl get hit by a piece of rock that was pulled off by a climber at Alternative rock. It wasn't a big piece but she went down like a lead balloon. I'm not sure she would have controlled the rope had she been belaying (she was just walking below). She was lucky to walk away with just a cut in her head (I think she may have gotten a stich or two) and a pretty huge scare!

Anyways, these are all worst case scenarios. Harrismith is a cool spot.
Enjoy!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:24 pm 

I got a helmet for Christmas and my first thought was 'I'm gonna look like a knob?' but now I think that one day it will be the best Christmas present I have ever got.
I saw a guy leading and only momentarily got the rope behind his one leg and right at that moment slipped off. He flipped over almost upside down and wacked his head, splitting his forehead for six stiches. Potentially a big rescue opperation.
Also coming off on a traverse may send you spinning down the rock face for some head action.
Rocks aren't the only flying objects around. The leader may very easily drop some gear. A no.8 hex will definately leave its mark when dropped from a couple of metres.
Your belayer is probably the only one that will see you with the helmet anyway. Rather safe than...well, dead.

Post subject: .
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:21 am 

Last edited by guest on Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:42 am 

Dude you'll kill me! I love and hate a challenge, At the end of the weekend you'll probably find me bleeding and still trying to make the second move. I will give it a crack, but I will definately go do your \"warm up\" route. Why doesnt the anchor on the first pitch work? What is wrong with placing

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:32 am 

Mark bro', .... you simply must get on Acrophobia.... no question about it!!
:D

\"Two\" pitches.... first traversing pitch at 19, to get you onto the the route itself, which is a one pitch 20! The photo perspective makes it look way more intense (make no mistake though, the exposure is quite hairy) ... so have a third party handy with a camera!!

Jus' do it!! :wink:

Lekker
Jono

Post subject: .
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:46 am 

Last edited by guest on Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:44 pm 

I have provisionally booked the mooihoek lodge which is separate from the rest of the camp (everything else is booked) - it runs on gas :lol: , does anybody know it? is it decent? secondly what is safety like in the area? we are going to be leaving wives and knee highs at the chalet?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:07 pm 

Last edited by guest on Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:32 am 

Hey guest....

Do they still have the foofie-slide at the watering hole?

You're right about Mt Everest being a gem.... it truly is a spectacular place. I spent ten days there over New Year 2002 with my mates...... best holiday I've had - what a jol! ....... only complaint was that they had a celebration at the restaurant and 'fire works' display for New Year's eve, but no booze was for sale - not even alcohol free champagne...... but a couple of nights before that, there was no Coca Cola at the restaurant, so we had to settle for beer. Eish! Haha. Strange goings on at these small town resorts, wot wot.

Mark.... if you're there for long enough to have a rest day, take the drive to Witsieshoek and do the chainladder walk to the top of the D'berg Amphitheatre. Lekker!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:52 am 

Sschweeeeeeeet! - I cant wait - I want to go now - thanks for the info - last night I read up on how to multipitch - not too complicated, I must just practice and get confortable with the procedure. - seriously cannot wait

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 4:29 pm