Quantcast
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:23 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:45 pm 

Hi
I'm an amateur photographer that used to climb a little bit a good many years ago.My passion is now photography and i would like to try and get some decent photographs of climbers climbing interesting routes around the Cape area.If anybody is interested in having me tagg along while you climb i would be willing to provide you with JPEG's afterwards.My main aim is to improve my skill in this genre of photography.I have a number of different lenses from wide angle to zoom.....so hopefully i should be able to get some interesting shots depending on the routes and vantage points to shoot from.I still have some climbing equipment but my skill level is non existent now....so access to routes would be needed to be taken into consideration.Anyone interested please give me a shout!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:58 am 

Wow...tough crowd.Can anyone suggest a better way of getting some response.My next option will probably be putting a notice up at the Climbing Gym if they will allow it.?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:11 am 

Mike,
Depending on the type of pic's that you are looking for.
One suggestion would be to head down to a local sport crag on a weekend (I'd start with Silvermine) and ask the people climbing if they would mind if you took photos of them?

And yes, very tough crowd around here at the moment :(

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:24 am 

Hi Mike

I don't think climbers would publicly invite someone to photograph them doing their thing (not good for our humble, ego-free, au-natural image .... well, ummm, ja, generally speaking). We would all love someone to papparazzi the heck out of us, but would never openly admit it.

Best bet is to just amble up to the crags and snap away at whoever is there - high-traffic bouldering areas like Rocklands are probably the easiest..... make some friends/contacts at the crag, and ask who is doing what when and where in the future.

:thumright

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:59 am 

Another tip or two....... get some practice/experience in rigging your own fixed lines to photograph climbers on routes. The last thing a climber wants to do is rig the photographers lines and wotnot.

As a climbing/adventure photographer, you want to be as self-sufficient in the mountains as possible.

Good luck, and happy shooting!

Jono

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:02 am 

Thanks Guys for the response.....no disrespect intended with the tough crowd comment.. :)

I've thought of just rocking up at the crags..and asking if anyone minds if i shoot....but thought that would be a bit more invasive than asking beforehand and arranging to meet people somewhere.It's also good to know when people will be at certain area's.I live in Lakeside and have often noticed people climbing on the small crag above Boy's drive....just haven't got my act together yet to just go on up and ask....!

And yes in an ideal world it would be good to be able to rig my own lines.....and i might do that in time should this aspect of photography bite hard.....but at the moment it's a case of putting my foot in the water and feeling the temperature.I shoot quite a lot of other stuff....landscape,macro,Birds,Birds in Flight.....and surfing whenever i get the chance.

I understand the climbing community laid back style and "image".... :afro: .....and would hate to mess with that.
If anybody is interested in having paparazzi hanging around.....i won't tell anyone if you won't.I will also be as unobtrusive as possible....and will try and not interfere in anyway with your climbing....if i can't get anything without having my own fixed lines rigged.....well then i will put that down to experience....and will need to decide going forward if i want to get more involved in the sport again.
I feel a lot better that at least Justin and JonoJ have given me some feedback......Thanks again guys!
My e-mail is mikewrankmore@vodamail.co.za......if anyone is interested....but wouldn't like to say so on a public forum.

Thanks Again!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:04 pm 

I would invite you to come take some shots with me but other sports are taking up my time at the moment.

PM me your number and if I do head out I will give you a bell.

You're more than welcome to come and put an ad up here at CityROCK.

Good luck

- L

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:07 pm 

Quote:
I don't think climbers would publicly invite someone to photograph them doing their thing (not good for our humble, ego-free, au-natural image .... well, ummm, ja, generally speaking). We would all love someone to papparazzi the heck out of us, but would never openly admit it.

:lol:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:56 pm 

MikeWrankmore wrote:
...none disrespect intended with the tough crowd comment.. :)

None taken I assure you :)

MikeWrankmore wrote:
if I can't get anything without having my own fixed lines rigged....

For the beginning don't worry about that too much. You can get height (level with the climber) from the path at places like Silvermine Main Crag, Blaze of Glory, The Mine (on the left) and a few other crags. With Bouldering photography it is often easier to position yourself above the climber.

Also check out 10 Tips To Improve Your Climbing Photos

Drop me an email if you want to get any climbing shots in Montagu (maybe jumpstart my international modelling career ;) - justin@climbing.co.za

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:12 pm 

Hi Mike
I am always looking for someone to take pictures (and humble enough to admit it :)).
you can get in touch with me on jhmohle@gmail.com.
I need pictures of my new routes, for publication online and in magazines.
also I can rig for you,no problem
Joe

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:51 pm 

Justin wrote:
[Drop me an email if you want to get any climbing shots in Montagu (maybe jumpstart my international modelling career ;)

You know how expensive it is to replace a cracked lens? :)

Some good articles on UKC too

http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=1764

http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=2413

http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=39167

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:41 am 

@Lee...thanks Lee...will send you a PM
@Justin.....would love to come up sometime and will keep your offer in mind.Montagu is awsome but i think i need to see if Climbing Photography is my thing before i start travelling.Each genre of photography has it's technical difficulties....and i will need to get up to speed with those and hopefully get my eye in (apart from the access to routes difficulty).Maybe you also need to get mentaly prepared....The GQ lifestyle is far removed from climbing but at least it might pay some bills....!!!Maybe also start climbing with shirt off for a while to get the tan going! :cyclops:
@ Joe.....will drop u a mail!
@ Chris.....that's when you put your insurance company to the test.Dropped my Canon 24-70 F2.8 L recently...luckily the glass was fine.....but R2000 later to replace some bearings that were out of alignment. :evil: Didn't even claim......saving a claim for the big one one day!
Thanks for the links.....appreciate!

Thanks Guys....responses are awesome.....and hopefully i will get hooked up and shooting!