It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:32 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:08 pm 

Hi!
I'm a Norwegian girl staying in Glenwood, Durban for three months from now, and I was hoping to find someone to go climbing with in this period.. both indoor on weekdays and outdoor in the weekends (I might also have the chance to go away some weekdays as well..I don't have a car though..). I got a rope and equipment for sport climbing. I guess my lead preference is between 21-23/24 (I'm not that familiar with SA grades, but I normally climb 6c-7a). I haven't been climbing for a little while now, and would love to get started again! Anyone...? Linda :) PS: Where can I buy a guide book for rock climbing in this area?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:39 pm 

lindasvorken wrote:
PS: Where can I buy a guide book for rock climbing in this area?

A Climber's Guide to KwaZulu-Natal Rock Book Order
Have a good time :thumleft:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:12 am 

Hi Linda! We train at the Old Mutual Sports Hall, Gate 9 of the University of KwaZulu-Natal in Glenwood (Francios rd), so you're in luck!
Training hours are from around 17h00 on Tuesdays and Thursdays at the Varsity and we climb outdoors every weekend.
Call me on 08two8989five87 and I can fetch you before training if you like.

Trent

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:30 am 

Hi, I'm headed to Durban for work and will have time to travel from December 8th-14th. Would any of you be interested in going climbing those days? I lead sport up to 5.10 US (20 south african rating I understand), trad up to 5.7 (16) and can follow up to 5.11 (22/23). I'd love to get up to the Drakensberg from what I'm reading online! But, I'd need a friend with a car, or someone up for sharing a rental!
Hope this might help me find someone! Maybe even just for the weekend of the 9th-11th of Decmeber?
-Katrina

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:36 am 

lindasvorken wrote:
PS: Where can I buy a guide book for rock climbing in this area?

http://www.climb.co.za/shop/order_kznrock.php

A Climber's Guide to KwaZulu-Natal Rock by Roger Nattrass is brilliant. I highly recommend it! was worth every penny.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:43 pm 

Hi Linda

I will have a rental car and personal gear (harness, shoes, ATC, biners...) but no rope or rack. I'll be climbing all over S. Africa from Nov 23 to March.

PM me with your email address if you want to climb outdoors. I'm not interested in indoor climbing but I am happy to drive anywhere for outdoor. I like trad (I am mostly a trad climber) but am happy to do sport, too. I will be joining a bunch of South African climbers for a road trip all over SA so I should have a good idea of several good areas to climb.

I am from the USA, very safe, only climb to about 21 or 22 at best and probably only 17 or 18 until I get back on rock-I haven't been climbing since July. Yikes!

Richard