Quantcast
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:45 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Concerned parent
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:04 am 

:D

And just as I started red pointing 23s the second one was born. Yep my hands are full with 2 boys and my arms are loosing strength quickly. I calculated that when I’m 43 they will be 10/11 years old. So my question to other old timers: by what age can kids start to climb (and belay for my selfish needs), and will I still be able to crank at that age. Maybe that will be time to do easier trad lines????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:17 am 

Yet another whose climbing has suffered a natal blow! Man down and grounded! Eric its not so bad, all my friends manage to still sneak out and get their fix now and then. Bairns can start climbing from as early as three, they have power to weight ratios that would have made Wolfgang Gullich jealous! Suggest bouldering for these early excursions as cliffs are a bit scary and its much easier to supervise / encourage when you are standing right next to them. They probably wont be able to belay you properly until their teens as their weight wont be sufficient counterweight for you and they get distracted far too easily when young.

Dont worry about beinbg able to crank later in life, many people pull really hard well into their fifties. Best thing is to team up with other parents who climb, share child minding and climbing time. And laugh at each other when your kids start to burn you off in years to come!! :D

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:39 am 

Eric – Congratulations man – that’s brilliant!

So…. When are you having that gear sale …I think you could swap a pack of huggies for a harness, maybe a baby powder for your chalk bag, some of those cute little fluffy toys for a draw or two… what else have you got in that bag of yours?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:19 am 

Hey Eric you can get really strong climbing with one of those baby carriers on your back.Just think of it as training with a wait belt.At the age off 43 you will be strong enough to retire as a sherpa.

The best you can do is try and stay as fit as possible during the week and go climbing as much as possible on weekends.Maybe build yourself a indoor wall or some training megafter to fit training in during the week so its easier to get your butt up the routes on the od weekend.

Have fun

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:44 pm 

Shame bru . Pity about the time you'll have to wait then .
But you could also put the two little figurines in a tight compartment of your Camelbak and then just make sure the zip is closed up...a patient belayer and voila ! No need to worry about the two kids been stolen once you're back on ground from the multipitch route .

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:08 pm 

I was just thinking about the education costs in such a situation. Would you start them on trad or on sport? I personally would go for trad – you know, the old school stuff, let them be leaders instead of followers…

If you start them out young and train them to belay – your set for life – no more “stuck without a belayer” situations… and I’m sure you wife will love you spending time with the kids and taking them places and think of how this will free her up to do things as well…

I’m telling you – if you play your cards right – your onto a good thing!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:59 pm 

Chalk, your day will come!

Exactly why I want to know when they can start cranking. The ones already been to the climbing gym once. He loves the crimpers! The diaper added to much weight however

Post subject: 10?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 3:58 pm 

Not is i can help it!

I read a report that said that kids should not crank befor eth age of 10 - the strain on the muscles togetehr with developing bones etc ... tie them down and teach them to belay - its a good 5 years service you can get out of them!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:07 pm 

Aash Eric... things have gotten bad since you left the EC. The trick is to move back by the time your sons are ten. Give them a proper chance!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:53 pm 

Hey Eric! Maybe I can add a word of encouragement between all this razzing (funny as it is. I'm actually crying of laughter! thanx!).

My dad never did much outdoor stuff and the few times he did, it didn't include the rest of the family. Climbing isn't everything (contrary to common belief :D), but I'm dead sure of the fact that the day I have kids (I'm only 22 now), I'll have something truly precious to hand over to them through climbing. Not only the amazing physical training but the mental ability that goes hand in hand.

You're truly blessed to have kids and they're truly blessed to have a dad that climbs.

Now! On with the funny business!!

God bless

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:13 pm 

Last time I was in gordons bay, I went to the mall (somerset I think) which had an awesome indoor climbing wall (I come from
Joburg - all things are relative?) and right in front of it were probably a hundred computers and some \"hardcore\" characters playing LAN games, living in their little world - really sad - take your kids outside as soon as you can - LONG LIVE REAL REALITY!