It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:02 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:50 am 

It's only stills, but here's some evidence of the base jumper who came wizzing past some climbers on TM on Saturday: http://www.news24.com/Multimedia/South- ... n-20120112

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:06 am 

I saw this while on Upper Africa Ledge! There were two jumps. It was remarkable how quickly his "escape crew" got him out of dodge after he landed.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:04 pm 

Did anyone know he was in town?

Any idea what day he actually did the jump? Will be nice to have some high quality footage of a TM jump.

Scroll down for photos.
http://jebcorliss.net/2012/01/jumping-table-mountain-for-hbo/

Jeb is known for videos like:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:19 pm 

gollum wrote:
... remarkable how quickly his "escape crew" got him out of dodge after he landed.

What trouble did he have? I take it they had a chopper on hand? How many jumps (takes) did he do?

I've flipped and posted one of Jebs photos for a bit of perspective! I wonder how far he flew before deploying?
Photo source: jebcorliss.net

Attachments:
Face-2_flip.jpg
Face-2_flip.jpg [ 92.69 KiB | Viewed 6320 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:29 pm 

It seemed like a total stealth mission. I imagine he would have had to bribe 50 people to get official permission to do this. I could be wrong, but it didn't sound like he was hanging around for autographs or something.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:41 pm 

Justin wrote:
I wonder how far he flew before deploying?

Assuming that is the lower cable station (in the red square) he got a few hundred meters further than the usual basejumpers (who normally land just up from the cable station). Can't wait to see the video!
Photo source: jebcorliss.net

Attachments:
Face-2-3.jpg
Face-2-3.jpg [ 63.5 KiB | Viewed 6318 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:40 pm 

This from Jebs Facebook page.

With the caption: kristian Schmidt got this shot of use during the filming of HBO real sports :) Just a small preview of what's coming :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:44 pm 

Justin wrote:
What trouble did he have? I take it they had a chopper on hand? How many jumps (takes) did he do?

No trouble, it's just that literally within 30 seconds of touching down on Tafelberg Road he (and all of his kit) was loaded into a bakkie and driven off. Presumably to evade an arrest. There were two jumps roughly an hour apart (that I saw, anyway).

It was around 12h00 and his shadow was between the contour path and Tafelberg road before he opened his chute. To me it seems like he was 10m above the trees when he opened, but after seeing his shadow it was obvious he was still a safe distance above deck.

It was really cool!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:25 pm 

It's not illegal to basejump off TM. It's been going on since 1998. The ante has been upped somewhat since the early days with the refinement of wingsuits and the development of the associated skills required to get best performance out of them.
With micro cameras worn on the jumper, stunning footage has been shown on a lot of mainstream media for Joe public to check out. Jebb first came to Cape Town in 2000 and hooked up with the locals and has been paying us regular visits.
Unlike most people, he doesn't hold down a job to speak of, so he gets to travel & play!

Lucky for some!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:16 am 

I was on TM recently (I can't remember the exact day) and I was at the lilly pond collecting water when I heard this noise of something flying very close by. I looked up and saw this black object racing past at a frightening speed and at first I actually thought it was a bird. It was a guy wing suiting and it looked amazing, if there was ever a sport I wish I could do! To be able to fly free must be amazing but unfortunately I am sure I'll never have the courage.

Karl weren't you the first guy to base jump off TM?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:58 am 

I watched Jeb jump yesterday at around noon. I flew all the way to Higgovale Quarry! This guy is such a boss!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:12 pm 

http://www.dieburger.com/Suid-Afrika/Nu ... r-20120116

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:31 pm 

Sorry to hear about the accident... But I think if anything goes wrong when BASE jumping and you live to tell the story, you are very fortunate.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:53 pm 

Another news link here: Jumper hurt in leap from Table Mountain

Base-jumper breaks his legs

He's speaking, so hopefully he will be ok!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:26 pm 

He posted this on Facebook after a previous jump.
The caption reads: The back camera can really show how close you are sometimes

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1 ... 0932916868

Attachments:
Corliss.jpg
Corliss.jpg [ 112.28 KiB | Viewed 5725 times ]

Last edited by Stefan Smeda on Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:40 pm 

Let's hope he heals up real soon, so we can see more awesome footage.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:54 pm 

Link to youtube footage of the accident flight:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:06 pm 

Hectic!!! :shock:
The image posted by Stefan above would be the area where Jeb made contact.
It looks like he perhaps 'just' clipped the ledge with his foot and I assume he obtained his major injuries on landing?

Good job to EMS & AMS (as always).
Jeb, wishing you a speedy recovery!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:09 am 

It would seem TMNP thinks you need a permit to jump off TM...

http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/Table-Mountain-base-jumper-faces-fine-20120117

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:32 am 

I was wondering about the commercial photography permit. They couldn't possibly have been granted one as this would have meant that TM knew in advance of the base jumping. It was obviously a commercial shoot for HBO. No word on a fine for that yet. Somehow I doubt there will be.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:54 am 

Jeff Ayliffe spoke with Jeb today...

"Hi Guys. Just spent some time chatting to Jeb in the hospital, so to end the rumours, this is the score.
Jeb is great, minor breaks to both ankles, and a banged knee which may be sore for a while, but thats it. Jeb is overall very positive about the experience considering, and as always, he's taken loads of 'technical' info out of it regarding potential of where he is headed with wingsuiting. He is not interested in speaking to the media, but is very positive about helping SANparks to resolve the ongoing issues with BASE, and the general grey-areas. He loves CT, the mountain and its people, and is concerned about not allowing this to turn into something that will negatively effect CT. Hence the desire to avoid sensationalism.
"

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:02 pm 

Norris said Corliss was still smiling despite his sedated state. :P

http://www.iol.co.za/news/south-africa/ ... -1.1215207

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:19 pm 

Can we accept then that since he loves CT and the Table Mountain so much that he will be footing the bill for the search and rescue that took the time to come and airlift him off the mountain? There was an article in Die Burger today that Cape Town ratepayers would have to pay the bill - perhaps to avoid any real "sensationalism" he should come out straight away and offer to do the right thing here. In the alternative it seems that all that the good folk of CT are likely to see is an adrenalin junkie with little regard for the mountain, the rules that govern it, search and rescue that have to deal with a serious accident and Cape Towns citizens.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:31 pm 

Die Burger would be incorrect. There is no charge for rescue. The helicopter's flying hours are paid for by the provincial government. If and only if you have a medical aid/insurance policy then it will be asked to pay on your behalf. That same helicopter that fetched him might have to come and fetch you one day, on the mountains, on the road or move you between hospitals. Do you not think it is better that at that time you will not have to worry about the financial repercussions?

Personally I cannot think of a better use of my tax money than funding an air ambulance.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:48 pm 

Yeah, and sommer while you're collecting cash, get some off the hundreds of overweight, unfit, underprepared, irrationally scared/freaked out/clueless tourists who get stuck on the mountain, or who fall off India Venster, or who get dehydrated, or go off the trail etc etc and also get rescued for free.

How do you determine who doesn't deserve a free rescue?

How about.... Anyone who puts themselves in a potentially dangerous situation on purpose? Yes, that's a good way right? You take the risk, you pay for the rescue right? Ok, so that excluldes...all those fatties that walk up the hill, (past the sign) on their OWN STEAM! What about those pesky trad climbers hey? There are large parts of society that would lump those CRAZY ROCK CLIMBERS in the same mentally-ill-thrill-seeking-adrenaline-junky lump as B.A.S.E jumpers. Remember that just because Hector's multiple rescues off Blouberg didn't get coverage on news24 doesn't change the fact that all three those rescues were of people that hiked three hours to get there (I mean they REALLY wanted to put themselves there, didn't they?)

How about... Anyone who doesn't follow TMNP's rules. No wait, that would include...hmmm lets see... anyone taking a photo on the mountain without a permit. Yip, you take a shot, you break your ankle, you pay. Anyone who walks on the mountain without a permit. Wildcard recently expired? No free rescue for YOU.

How about.... Anyone who doesn't pay tax in SA. That makes sense right? You don't contribute to the income pool, you should pay to get rescued right? That leaves a lot of those international hikers with a big fat bill.

Grant, don't get me wrong - I'm not saying all rescues should be free and that ratepayers should just shut up and pay. What I'm saying is, that THIS rescue is getting all the bad press because the guy is high profile and does amazing/stupid things. Depends on your viewpoint I guess.

I reckon if you take R10 off each hiker/tourist rescued on TM for free over the years (never mind the rest of the country) you'll have this bill covered.

Nic wrote:
Personally I cannot think of a better use of my tax money than funding an air ambulance.
Exactly. They're wasting 99% of your tax $$ on bullshit. This is not bullshit.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:55 pm 

Nic Le Maitre wrote:

I fully agree I will gladly pay tax if I know its helping out with things that matter. True, there is no change for rescue UNLESS they decide that the rescue was not needed, in this case it was most defiantly needed. I'm sure his multiple sponsors will gladly pay the rescue fee if necessary.

Grant Marinus wrote:
In the alternative it seems that all that the good folk of CT are likely to see is an adrenalin junkie with little regard for the mountain, the rules that govern it, search and rescue that have to deal with a serious accident and Cape Towns citizens.

Are you trying to say that just because he does something that you think is crazy he does not deserve the same care as a Cape Town citizen? That was a VERY serious accident that needed dealing with. It seems that you don't care about a man who has done amazing things and thanks to our amazing rescue teams will continue to do amazing things.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:28 pm 

CraigBurden wrote:
True, there is no change for rescue UNLESS they decide that the rescue was not needed, in this case it was most defiantly needed. I'm sure his multiple sponsors will gladly pay the rescue fee if necessary.

The only time you will be charged (and these will be criminal charges) is if it was a fraudulent call, i.e. you claim to have injuries and do not. It is equivalent to calling the fire brigade went there is no fire. You do not have to be injured to be rescued, in fact most of the rescues we do are of uninjured people who have become a little lost.

Sorry to be such a pedant on this point but it vital that everyone understands that there is NO CHARGE FOR RESCUE.

There is much documented evidence that people under the impression that they will be charged go to great lengths to avoid being rescued, including hiding from rescuers and usually getting themselves more lost/injured in the process and prolonging the rescue.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:37 pm 

Rescue is a very emotionally charged process. The very nature of rescue is the process where the person who is being rescued is in a position that he/she may have been able to foresee the accident but did not plan for it to happen. As a doctor I will never charge anyone for my time or expertise in rescuing them off a mountain and I have rescued many people in the mountains and after car accidents.

What would irk me though, and here I agree with the sentiments expressed by one of the contributors to this forum, is if someone who is on a self serving mission, as the injured guy no doubt is, does not do right with those who rescued him and, as importantly, do right with those people whose access to the mountain (local BASE jumpers) has almost certainly been even more compromised than before. Mr Corliss is 35 years old and a seasoned campaigner in his sport to the extent that he is revered and mystified! He has made a series of very serious mistakes and taken risks that not only caused his injuries but, also brought into disrepute BASE jumpers in general. Let's so how he accounts for his mistakes. Till then, give the guy a break.

The Jury is out.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:38 pm 

*dear mister moderator, please may i have a pseudonym for this thread - i think MODERATOR would be fitting :-) *

Hi SNORT, I am not disagreeing with you for the sake of disagreeing with you, but please have a chat with some of your mates who are in the thick of B.A.S.E here in CT, "the General" springs to mind. I chatted briefly with him both on Sunday at Silvermine and immediately after Jeb's accident and, as best as I understand it, the (and this is important) "understanding" with SANPARKS was that B.A.S.E was allowed...or, more importantly, there was no explicit unlawfulness and the senior folk were content to 'turn a blind eye'. So I'm not convinced that he (knowingly or not) made any "mistakes" in this regard. In fact I would be surprised if there was no collaboration - after all this is a VERY small group of people.
The only conceivable reason that compromise has occurred, in my view, is due to his profile - and that is unfortunate and unfair. It has drawn attention to the mainstream folk for whom a trip to the mall is an extreme undertaking - and there are a LOT of them.

I have many colorful adjectives for these (in your words) L.C.D's, but they are the bulk constituents.

That same afternoon (you darkhorse and I caught up while I was en route up, you down) I was witness to an airlift of an elderly gentleman who'd fallen a few meters, high on india venster, on the fountain ledge side. He received the same treatment as Jeb. He, too, had no intention of heading down the mountain in a rescue chopper, but shit happens. I could say there was an error, but that would be unfair. Likewise it is incredibly unfair, uninformed and insensitive to STATE that Jeb made an error and ergo was irresponsible and thus should be charged etc.etc.

And lastly, to all those who equate what (the likes of) Jeb does as irresponsible and reckless, if it were not for the likes of Jeb the human race would not have discovered fire, we would still be walking between cities and we definitely would not be exploring deep space. This is a forefront science lab, the risks are high, but the learning steep. Much like F1 is just a bunch of cars going around a track, fast, (and some would say pointlessly) it is the testing ground for pioneering technology.

And double lastly. What is the associated medical costs of a main stream sport like Rugby? Sure there are more practitioners, but every rugby player visits a doctor. How much was spent on rehab for top players versus someone like Jeb?

Last edited by Tristan on Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:49 pm 

SNORT wrote:
What would irk me though, and here I agree with the sentiments expressed by one of the contributors to this forum, is if someone who is on a self serving mission, as the injured guy no doubt is, does not do right with those who rescued him

We are all volunteers so no "doing right" required, though I'm sure those involved would not turn up their noses at a beer or two :jocolor: