Quantcast
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:31 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Approaches to Manoutsa
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:39 am 

Hi.

We are coming to South Africa for the May and we're planning to do some climbing between other things. Manoutsa sounds very nice place and it could be nice start up to get the feeling of South African rock. We would probably climb the easy multi-pitches ie. Lies And Reconciliation, Wake-Up Call and Easy Day For A Change in "Main Crag - Left Of Gully A".

How is the approach to this crag? How long it should take? There was another thread asking this, but it is now two years old and did not say anything about the approach times as neither does the RD in PDF format Manoutsa RD.

Any one have recent knowledge of this?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:03 pm 

You don't mention your itinerary. Are you specifically going to be based in the Lowveld? I live in Hoedspruit, about 20 minutes drive from Manoutsa, but don't climb there very often. It can be a 'nice place" but I certainly don't view it as the place to "get the feeling of South African rock." The approach looks short but, due to the very dense, and thorny, vegetation takes a lot longer than one thinks it will. Feel free to contact me re. other options in the area, or for any more up-to-date info closer to the time. Richard

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:20 pm 

Our itinerary is not exactly fixed yet, but we know that we will spend the first ten days in Kruger and I was wondering if Manoutsa could be visited when we pass near it on our way to Hazyview/Graskop and then onto Swaziland.

So is it worthwhile to visit the place just passing by? The routes seemed, at least by the grades, a quite leisurous multi-pitch trad lines, but is it so?

Would you have any other suggestions on the area around there? "There" I mean the area north of of Swaziland. Mainly we would looking for some very easy multi-pitch trad climbs or sport. I know there is Boven there, but seems mostly single pitch sport area by the RD.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:24 pm 

For those routes, think in terms of about an hour to approach and find the start of the climb. Descent will probably be 2 hours.

Because of the hot sun, you will probably only do 1 route in a day, that being in the morning.

The rock is pretty good and the climb fun. If you want better but shorter rock, head to Blyde River Canyon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:21 pm 

Thanks, that was the exact information I needed.

I've been looking the Blydepoort too and I think we'll in anycase stay overnight at the campsite/huts there. We'll then have to check at what time we are at Manoutsa as we have to anyway go pass that on the way to Blydepoort. If we are not up for the bushy approach or it is too late, we'll just go straight to Blydepoort.

Thanks again to you both.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:15 pm 

I definitely concur with 'the Silent One" that Blydepoort will be an altogether more pleasant option. Much more shade, shorter approaches, less dense bush, great scenery. Manoutsa is usually VERY HOT, unless one starts very early and climbs very fast. The routes you mentioned involve the furthest approach.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:51 am 

Just to confuse you a bit, we climbed a route there last Sunday (4 March), and were in the shade for most of the route except the last pitch 6. And the approach was about 3mins from the car. So you can find shade, a short walk and have a great morning (if not afternoon) climbing.

And btw, May will be late Autumn, so not THAT hot. The routes you specify do have the longest approaches there but you don't have to walk that far. Personally, I love it. Great rock, never a crowd, beautiful vertical cracks. I reckon worth a stop.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:25 pm 

The routes mentioned are at the far left end. A long bushy walk. I have done it. Admittedly the stuff near the river is close to road, but mostly harder grades than asked about. In winter the sun is further north so the crag actually gets sun from earlier. The stuff over the river is shadier then. Some late afternoon shade on main wall then. Oddly, summer with often overcast conditions is frequently cooler than on a cloudless winter day with the sun shining more directly onto the rock. With Manoutsa as the closest crag to home I still prefer to drive the extra 30 minutes to Blydepoort.