Quantcast
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:45 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: looking for boulder pad
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:20 pm 

Hi there,

I am looking for a boulder pad, does anyone have one or know of a place to get one for relatively cheap?

Cheers
Sheldon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:09 am 

hey dude,

the (maybe-not-so) el-cheapo: buy high density closed cell foam. cut to size. do research first regards densities and thickness. If you want to be fancy, hijack your auntie's sewing machine and make a rip-stop wrapping for it (the pad i mean, but if you wanna be nice, your auntie would like a ripstop cover for her recently destroyed naaimasjien too).

Alternatively, any climbing shop (irl and online) can help you. Keep in mind more expensive is not necessarily better - think about how you will store it, carry it, how big you really need, are you really going to do that many highballs...

Lastly, do a cost comparison against a badly fractured ankle or lower back compression fracture, and then decide how much you are willing to spend on your pad.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:18 am 

A friend of mine (based in Pta) makes good cheapish pads. Send me a pm for info

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:40 am 

Franz is right. Don't scimp!

I'm 4-6 weeks off, can hardly walk....Large chunk popped on top-out of a fairly high boulder. My spotter was nearly(could have been) killed by the chunk. I missed the mat. Left ankle is buggered! Tennons only. No break. Not too serious.

On this, the third day....have already spent more than cost of a good pad on medical related.

Bleak!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:04 pm 

oi marshall! sounds nasty! wish you a speedy recovery.
A mate of mine fell between mats on a gym from 1.5m and had a lower-back compression fracture. full recovery, but nasty stuff. it tought me a lesson or two about mats, spotting and fooling around.
imho bouldering is the most dangerous part of our sport (excl free solo), simply because of the 'perceived' low risk by being 'close' to the ground. Doesn't stop me from doing it though.

@sheldon: I know the pads dirktalma speaks of. they are good for safety last time i checked. That's Llama pads yeah, Dickie?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:29 pm 

Llama pads are not ideal... I took one with me to Rocklands for 6 weeks and use it 3 times. This one was only single density foam and will not arrest the impact from a boulder more than 2m off the ground. Be careful, buy a Mad Rock pad! They last forever and are of the highest quality.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:31 pm 

Thanks for all the info, i will keep searching around, at the moment the Mad Rock pads look the best

Cheers
Sheldon