Quantcast
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:05 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: proposed new legislation
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:34 pm 

Just looked at the weather report, and it seems that precipitation may once again influence my climbing weekend. :bom:

While rain is much needed in our country, and the world, i do not see why this needs to negatively impact climbing or any other sport.

So, in this light, I wish to propose new legislation, under the WEATHER MANAGEMENT ACT, which must adress the following issues:
i. No precipitation to occur during weekends, public holidays, varisity holidays, school holidays, or organised adventure sport events, except at times and at specific locations where such precipitation may be a requirement for the practice of an adventure sport (eg flash-flood kayaking).
ii. Where such an adventure sport requires precipitation, an application shall first be lodged with Dept Environmental Affairs, and will be permitted if no objections are raised. The applicant is then to make his/her own arrangements regards required precipitation.
iii. Where adventure sport is planned to be practiced on other days, an application shall be made for specificzero-precipitation days, specifying the region/s to be affected. If no objections are raised, the applicant will be permitted to reschedule precipitation as per the application at his/her own cost/peril.
iii. Any precipitation naturally scheduled for a weekend or public holiday shall be redistributed evenly between the weekdays of the following week. Preferred consideration will be given to previously drought stricken areas during redistribution of precipitation.
iv. Severe penalties to be enforced on those who disregard this act and precipitate outside of allowed time slots without prior approval.

I need someone to second this before we submit it to national legislature, and everyone is welcome to comment so that we can have a complete case befre submission.
It would also be nice if we can get someone to volunteer submitting this proposal to legislature, because I simply to not have the political clout to make it happen.

Planned submission date: 13/13/2013

I thank you for your consideration.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:48 pm 

My plans for the weekend also look bleak and I like your proposal, makes sense just like other laws being put in place. We could make a facebook group and people could "like" it to show their support and create change. :thumleft:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:29 pm 

Works for me, especially if universally adopted. I would also like to apply for weekday rain to only take place between 10pm and 10 am to allow crags to dry out for weekday evening climbing.

Also advanced notification will need to be given of intended routes which need a long drying period.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:42 pm 

so Chris,
I guess we should lobby the UN then?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:20 pm 

I'll start on the EU, you start on the African League (is there such a thing?) and will work upwards from there.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:48 pm 

if there's no african league, then I will found one to petition to.

Keep me on the loop on your progress with the EU!

PS: should we specificy control of other weather phenomena?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:03 pm 

While I'm at it I may as well attach a bill requesting heavy snows for the months of December, January February and most of March, interspersed with regular freeze thaw cycles to get the gullies full of snow and the butteresses coated in ice.

Following that I'm campaigning for huge low pressures to sit off the coast of Norway and produce pumping surf all summer long.

I may as well do it right if I'm going to do it. :wink: